Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Oilers need a PP right hand shot dman. Why spend a few assets on a defenceman that doesn't directly resolve the Oilers need.

2019 2nd/ 2020 2nd/ Caggulia/ Kassian/ Slepyshev (take any three)

FOR

Faulk

Why does Carolina do this? Our prospect pool is deep (top 5 IMO). We don't really need bottom 6'ers or draft picks. We need upper tier forwards (especially centers) and NHL-ready goalies. If we cannot add to Faulk to get what we need, we'll keep Faulk until the TDL and see where we're at.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Faulk is not a top pairing guy. I think he is still a top 4 guy though.

How much to acquire him? Do the Oilers grab a him with Bear and Bouchard knocking on the door?

Good question. I honestly don’t know if something like Kassian+2nd gets it done. Caps fans weigh in? Any of Kass/Aberg/Caggiula and a pick is fine by us.

Hurricanes fans want RNH or Puljujarvi for Faulk which is flat out not happening.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Good question. I honestly don’t know if something like Kassian+2nd gets it done. Caps fans weigh in? Any of Kass/Aberg/Caggiula and a pick is fine by us.

Hurricanes fans want RNH or Puljujarvi for Faulk which is flat out not happening.

This is an overpayment. Oilers shouldn't be getting fleeced for d-men anymore.

Don't know if that trade is appetizing for the caps.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
No surprise this got derailed by Faulk talk, but in keeping with the Hurricanes theme, what is the availability and NHL readiness of a guy like Roland McKeown?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Seems like opinions vary on him both around the red wings and around the league, but there is talk that the Red Wings are looking to trade Nick Jensen.

We'd be looking for a mid-late round draft pick in return rather than players if you're interested as we're trying to clear some logjams our self

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No surprise this got derailed by Faulk talk, but in keeping with the Hurricanes theme, what is the availability and NHL readiness of a guy like Roland McKeown?

In terms of availability, right now here's what the Canes have:

RHD: Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, and TVR at the NHL level. McKeown, Fox, Luke Martin (probably furthest away)
LHD: Slavin, de Hann, Fleury at the NHL level. Bean, Carrick

I believe the team will trade Faulk at some point in the next 12 months, but that still leaves Hamilton, Pesce, and TVR at the NHL level along with Fox (if he signs) and McKeown. Therefore, I think McKeown would probably be available, BUT, because he is still waiver exempt, the Canes likely aren't looking to move him for the sake of moving him.

In terms of NHL readiness, hard to say. He looked good last year in his stint in the NHL. Solid but unspectacular. Kind of reminds me of a poor mans Paul Martin in that he does a lot of things well, but really isn't spectacular (or terrible) at anything either. If the Canes didn't have the depth they have and had to use him as a #6/7 this year, I wouldn't mind it at all. That said, sample size is small and for a guy that is "solid but unspectacular", it's sometimes hard to gauge how NHL ready he is on a small sample.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Bowey would be a nice add. It’s a bit weird to say but hes almost TOO long term a solution with Bear and Bouchard in the pipeline - but I guess once one of Bowey/Bear/Bouchard surpassed Benning we wouldn’t have too many problems moving a young RHD. What would you be after?

As far as RW goes I think we’re content to stand pat right now. Rattie’s leading the preseason in scoring with 2 games played, Puljujarvi’s been really good, and Yamamoto is making it really difficult to send him down.

I don’t know much about Safin or Marody.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Guys...seriously, Carrick....Marincin...just for a dozen donuts....they can be those shitty plain ones....and stale.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lost me with "Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good". I think that more likely speaks to the quality of wingers in EDM than Alex Chiasson transitioning into a useful player. Maybe I am wrong.
Probably speaks to the fact that he is on a PTO and is trying to earn a job in the NHL. Even lazy players can bring it for a few weeks to get a contract.

Reactions: wintersej

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers need a PP right hand shot dman. Why spend a few assets on a defenceman that doesn't directly resolve the Oilers need.

2019 2nd/ 2020 2nd/ Caggulia/ Kassian/ Slepyshev (take any three)

FOR

Faulk

Well, probably because Carolina wants more than that for Faulk, and Edmonton is actually looking more and more like they are keeping Bouchard up, as in many ways he is NHL ready. He just lacks experience sadly. He's the type of guy who would really benefit from playing in the AHL I think, but he has to either make the big club or go to junior. But hey, if Carolina is fine with taking a couple of 2nds and Cagguila (Slepyshev is in the KHL and has no value but I'd give his rights up too), then by all means, do it.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse - Faulk
Russell - Benning

Bear is in the AHL to start until we need him. Bouchard back to junior.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
In terms of availability, right now here's what the Canes have:

RHD: Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, and TVR at the NHL level. McKeown, Fox, Luke Martin (probably furthest away)
LHD: Slavin, de Hann, Fleury at the NHL level. Bean, Carrick

I believe the team will trade Faulk at some point in the next 12 months, but that still leaves Hamilton, Pesce, and TVR at the NHL level along with Fox (if he signs) and McKeown. Therefore, I think McKeown would probably be available, BUT, because he is still waiver exempt, the Canes likely aren't looking to move him for the sake of moving him.

In terms of NHL readiness, hard to say. He looked good last year in his stint in the NHL. Solid but unspectacular. Kind of reminds me of a poor mans Paul Martin in that he does a lot of things well, but really isn't spectacular (or terrible) at anything either. If the Canes didn't have the depth they have and had to use him as a #6/7 this year, I wouldn't mind it at all. That said, sample size is small and for a guy that is "solid but unspectacular", it's sometimes hard to gauge how NHL ready he is on a small sample.
That's a fantastic reply, thank you. I haven't really followed him since he was drafted, and remember him being touted as having a fairly high ceiling. Sounds like he might not be much of a step up over someone like Bear, but I'd probably deal a guy like Caggiula for him if Carolina was interested.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's a fantastic reply, thank you. I haven't really followed him since he was drafted, and remember him being touted as having a fairly high ceiling. Sounds like he might not be much of a step up over someone like Bear, but I'd probably deal a guy like Caggiula for him if Carolina was interested.

I could be wrong, but I really can't see the Canes having any interest in Caggiula. While not all proven, wingers aren't going to be a problem in Carolina.

Right now, Canes have Teravainen, Williams, Svechnikov, Zykov, McGinn, Ferland, Foegele, Kuokkanen, and "maybe" Aho vying for 6 (top 3 lines) winger spots, so already one or two of them will not have a spot. If a guy isn't a clear upgrade, I don't see them having an interest. They've even got a crowded 4th line with Martinook, Di Guisseppe and whichever wingers above that don't make the top 3 lines.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I could be wrong, but I really can't see the Canes having any interest in Caggiula. While not all proven, wingers aren't going to be a problem in Carolina.

Right now, Canes have Teravainen, Williams, Svechnikov, Zykov, McGinn, Ferland, Foegele, Kuokkanen, and "maybe" Aho vying for 6 (top 3 lines) winger spots, so already one or two of them will not have a spot. If a guy isn't a clear upgrade, I don't see them having an interest. They've even got a crowded 4th line with Martinook, Di Guisseppe and whichever wingers above that don't make the top 3 lines.
Stocked on offense and defense, tough life as a Canes fan ;-)

In all seriousness, what do you view as the biggest deficit in the Hurricanes organization?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Cagguila can play centre as well if needed. Just needs to work on his faceoffs, but lots of young players have that problem. Could be a good project, should Canes management feel like taking a chance on him. I get it completely if they want a more proven player for Faulk though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Stocked on offense and defense, tough life as a Canes fan ;-)

In all seriousness, what do you view as the biggest deficit in the Hurricanes organization?

1) Center - our only center with NHL experience right now is Jordan Staal. Rask went down with injury and won't be back for months. Aho is being tried at C, but hasn't played C in ages other than some international competition. Necas is a rookie.

2) Goalie: Mrazek and Darling. Enough said.

Don't get me wrong, we aren't that talented at forward and we could always use more talent on the wing, just that it would have to be a player that is better than what we have. Caggiula doesn't fit that mold.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Cagguila can play centre as well if needed. Just needs to work on his faceoffs, but lots of young players have that problem. Could be a good project, should Canes management feel like taking a chance on him. I get it completely if they want a more proven player for Faulk though.

Faulk? We were discussing McKeown, not Faulk. As I said, I could be wrong, but I don't think the Canes would have much, if any, interest in Caggiula regardless.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well, probably because Carolina wants more than that for Faulk, and Edmonton is actually looking more and more like they are keeping Bouchard up, as in many ways he is NHL ready. He just lacks experience sadly. He's the type of guy who would really benefit from playing in the AHL I think, but he has to either make the big club or go to junior. But hey, if Carolina is fine with taking a couple of 2nds and Cagguila (Slepyshev is in the KHL and has no value but I'd give his rights up too), then by all means, do it.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse - Faulk
Russell - Benning

Bear is in the AHL to start until we need him. Bouchard back to junior.

That is exactly right. He'll learn nothing in junior but he might not be polished enough for a regular NHL gig. He'd definitely benefit from some AHL experience IMHO.

Word out of camp though is that Bouchard moves the puck like nobody else on the blueline.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
1) Center - our only center with NHL experience right now is Jordan Staal. Rask went down with injury and won't be back for months. Aho is being tried at C, but hasn't played C in ages other than some international competition. Necas is a rookie.

2) Goalie: Mrazek and Darling. Enough said.

Don't get me wrong, we aren't that talented at forward and we could always use more talent on the wing, just that it would have to be a player that is better than what we have. Caggiula doesn't fit that mold.

So, are you looking for someone like Strome? He could be moved but I don't like the options we have at 3C afterwards.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Would want a C prospect and that 2nd. If you need to throw salary in, that’s fine, long as it’s not long term (Aberg?).

What about Safin or Marody?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Faulk? We were discussing McKeown, not Faulk. As I said, I could be wrong, but I don't think the Canes would have much, if any, interest in Caggiula regardless.
Sorry, was going off of another poster's earlier comments that we should go after Faulk. Obviously Cagguila wouldn't be the centrepiece of that deal even if there was a Faulk deal to be made.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So, are you looking for someone like Strome? He could be moved but I don't like the options we have at 3C afterwards.

It's why I don't think, contrary to popular HF belief, the Canes and Oilers make great trade partners. You guys have lost a lot of depth at the forward ranks over the past few years and have gained depth defensively in your system.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad