Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers need a PP right hand shot dman. Why spend a few assets on a defenceman that doesn't directly resolve the Oilers need.

2019 2nd/ 2020 2nd/ Caggulia/ Kassian/ Slepyshev (take any three)

FOR

Faulk

Bouchard or Bear can fill the PP responsibilities very capably and one has likely made the team as a 6.

It’s the 7 role that’s very questionable right now. Jerabek/Gravel/Garrison are all playing hot potato with it.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Part of this situation is we have too many forwards and need to move one out in the process, but Schlemko is probably the most appealing of the three. Zero interest in Alzner.

If you want Schlemko, he's all yours but unfortunately the forwards you're offering only complicate things for the Habs, we are overcrowded at bottom nine wingers. So I don't think there's a deal to be made here with the Habs.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oilers need a PP right hand shot dman. Why spend a few assets on a defenceman that doesn't directly resolve the Oilers need.

2019 2nd/ 2020 2nd/ Caggulia/ Kassian/ Slepyshev (take any three)

FOR

Faulk

Please, not this again. Let's keep this thread to the topic in the OP

Reactions: DaveG and TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you want Schlemko, he's all yours but unfortunately the forwards you're offering only complicate things for the Habs, we are overcrowded at bottom nine wingers. So I don't think there's a deal to be made here with the Habs.

Yeah, the Habs are probably the last team in the league that needs more wingers.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yeah, the Habs are probably the last team in the league that needs more wingers.

Pretty much. If there's deal to be found around the same base as the Åberg/Letestu/4th from the last TDL then I'm in but I don't see anyone giving up picks to get a depth forward during preseason.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still think Jordan Schmaltz could slip free from St Louis closer to opening night. He's looking like he's #8 on their D depth chart and a number of prospects are looking to take his spot. He'll never get the opportunity to show his strengths in St Louis with both Pietrangelo and Parayko taking the prime offensive minutes on the right side long-term.

Something like Schmaltz and Jaskin for Kassian and a small add could make a lot of sense for both teams. Kassian would add some toughness to their bottom six and provide some physical support for an influx of young, skilled forwards.

Odds are that any deal that gets made probably doesn't occur until the Oilers get back from Europe though. I suppose we'll probably see both Bouchard and Bear make the trip.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Ryan McLeod and Kailer Yamamoto have both been great in Oiler camp and have survived another round of cuts, and Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good. Right now we have 16 forwards in camp and the three aforementioned guys have complicated things.

Conversely, none of Jerabek/Garrison/Gravel have looked good enough to stay at this level.

So, what I’m proposing is:

To your team

Caggiula/Aberg/Kassian

Caggiula - Has upside, scored 13 goals.
Aberg - Very cheap, looks good with skilled guys.
Kassian - Physical, fast, strong playoffs in 16-17

To Edmonton

Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players. Maybe you’ve had a rookie that’s impressed and surpassed someone, and you don’t want to risk losing him on waivers for nothing?

We have squat for cap space so the player coming back can’t exceed the cap hit of the player going out (Kassian 1.95, Caggiula 1.5, Aberg 650k)

Ryan Murphy? Youngish fromer 1st round RHD. Has some potential.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Isles do have Mayfield and he still has growth potential. He's a player with a lot of heart, but the guy has to stop fighting. he's just bad at it. BAD.

We are also a team that is overflowing with bottom 5/6/7 dmen

Hickey - Trade value 2nd + 4th
Pelech - 2nd
Mayfield - 3rd

These guys haven't played yet, but are ready to

Burroughs - 5th
Quennville - 5th
Wotherspoon - 3rd
VandeSompel - 3rd

You're going to have to overpay for guys like

Aho
Toews

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs could desperately use some toughness IMO but Marincin? Cmon man...

Yes, the Leafs could use some toughness for sure... but that cap hit is probably more than we can afford for a fourth liner, particularly as we are stacked on the Right side.

Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Brown on the right side... who does he displace? Perhaps if we trade Nylander, for a top four RHD who has a cap hit of $6 or less, in some sort of package we have room...

Then it would pretty much have to be Carrick. That's way too may if's, and what abouts...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->