Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If you're looking for a 6 just grab prosser or bartkowski when the wild put one on waivers. Both are capable as a 6.

No need to give up an asset for a 6.

Reactions: LTIR

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you're looking for a 6 just grab prosser or bartkowski when the wild put one on waivers. Both are capable as a 6.

No need to give up an asset for a 6.
The thread is essentially looking for a team to take one of our depth wingers for one of their depth defensemen. We don't need a waiver add. We have plenty of fringe 6/7/8 guys.

I think Schmaltz is the guy who most accurately fits this scenario.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would Ruhwedel be of any interest for Oilers fans? With the emergence of Riikola, Ruhwedel is suddenly the #8 on the depth chart. He's been a reliable right handed puck mover for the Penguins, nothing spectacular but pretty solid overall. I wouldn't want a forward back for him though, the Penguins already have too many forwards.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would Ruhwedel be of any interest for Oilers fans? With the emergence of Riikola, Ruhwedel is suddenly the #8 on the depth chart. He's been a reliable right handed puck mover for the Penguins, nothing spectacular but pretty solid overall. I wouldn't want a forward back for him though, the Penguins already have too many forwards.

I wouldn’t see him as an upgrade over what we already have.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The thread is essentially looking for a team to take one of our depth wingers for one of their depth defensemen. We don't need a waiver add. We have plenty of fringe 6/7/8 guys.

Schmaltz would be good. Basically I want a good 6 that could possibly be more if the stars align - hence the ‘im ok with adding picks but salary needs to go out too’

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers shouldn't be trading for anything less than Justin Faulk if they are going to acquire a defenseman.

Justin Faulk - even though I don’t think much of him would command a return I don’t think we should be prepared to pay.

We’re talking at most two of Kassian/Aberg/Caggiula and picks for someone cost controlled. Scott Mayfield, Schmaltz, Carrick, etc.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

I still think Jordan Schmaltz could slip free from St Louis closer to opening night. He's looking like he's #8 on their D depth chart and a number of prospects are looking to take his spot. He'll never get the opportunity to show his strengths in St Louis with both Pietrangelo and Parayko taking the prime offensive minutes on the right side long-term.

Something like Schmaltz and Jaskin for Kassian and a small add could make a lot of sense for both teams. Kassian would add some toughness to their bottom six and provide some physical support for an influx of young, skilled forwards.

Odds are that any deal that gets made probably doesn't occur until the Oilers get back from Europe though. I suppose we'll probably see both Bouchard and Bear make the trip.
I would say Schmaltz is our #7, possibly #6, D. You are correct in that he will always be behind Pietrangelo and probably Parayko on the right side, which is a shame because he definitely has potential to be a 2nd pairing guy, but can never advance to that in St.Louis. He has also had a great camp so far. The problem for us in regards to dealing him is our lack of RD depth. After Bortuzzo it's Schmaltz and then Reinke, (the latter had a "meh" camp and has already been re-assigned), and then that's it. If one of our RD go down, and we have already dealt Schmaltz, we are in big trouble. I like your inclusion of Kassian in your proposal, though. We could definitely use more grit on our 4th line.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
What about Derrick Pouliot + a high 4th + 50 Cap retention for Edmonton mid 2nd
RFA at the end of the year

So
Pouliot at $550,000 + 4th rounder
for
Edmonton's 2nd

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i mean i would feel bad for whoever doesnt make the leafs final d spots cause they are all nhl quality players

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rosen-OZ
Dermott- injured

Borgman/Carrick are nhl caliber players but we signed OZ out of russia who seems better then carrick and the last lhd spot is a battle from rosen and borgman who we both signed last off season over seas, both are solid rosen is just a smidge better. Holl/marincin are the depth/fringe nhlers but the other two guys could can seriously play. I know for a fact edm fans would love borgman, strong can skate and dishes out big hits, doesnt handle the puck like a grenade. perfect bottom pairing dman.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

So
for
Edmonton's 2nd

Pouliot is not worth a 2nd, even with retention and a 4th coming back - particularly with our drafting lately - and I mean it when I say we have to move money out. We legitimately have 700k in cap space until Sekera’s LTIR kicks in.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Carl Gunnarsson 50% retained for a conditional 2nd (becomes 3rd if he plays less than 42 games).

Reactions: simon IC

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I thought Gravel looked fairly decent for you guys when I watched him. Thought he's be a good depth guy.

For the Canes, every time I see McKeown play, I come away impressed, yet it's a numbers game in Carolina. Seems like he'd be a guy to take a chance on even if he has only played a handful of NHL games. Might not be what you are looking for.

Caggiula and Kassian really don't do anything for me though in terms of a return though. Don't know enough about Aberg.
Gravel was pretty decent he'd of been my choice for #7D, though maybe the org prefers Garrison for his veteran leadership/mentorship for short term injuries and maybe call up Gravel for more long term injuries.

I disagree with Chaotic Orange in that Chiasson has been physical or particularly great he's just outperformed the other 3 to this point on the short sample size of 2/3 games. I also think McLeod will eventually get sent back to junior, though Yamamoto looks like he might stick.

I'm guessing some posters on here don't know these players that well so I'll give some honest opinions on them:

• Caggiula is a fast player and rather physical and gritty relative to his size, he has some natural scoring touch, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get 15-18 goals a few times in his career playing on the 3rd line, provided he can stick long enough in the NHL to get over the current hump; if I was a bad team who needs more youth upfront he's worth looking into IMO. The main problem with him at this point is despite playing 127 games in the NHL it doesn't seem like the game has really slowed down for him yet, the game is fast and he tries to up his grit and speed to overcome that, when at times he'd probably be better off slowing things down and just trying to read and react better to what's infront of him.
  • Kassian is a pretty traditional powerforward, has surprisingly good speed and better hands than the point totals would imply, also a willing combatant, when he wants to give it his all he's easily a solid 3rd liner on most teams. Problem with Kassian at the moment is his give a damn is busted, he seems very much like a player who needs to play on edge or have that carrot dangling directly infront of his face to get the best out of him, he got a contract with term and he's just playing complacent now. I'd advise not trading for him now, but on the last year of his deal he might be worth the gamble (or a trade deadline pick-up, he seems to elevate his game for the playoffs).
  • Aberg is very speedy and has decent hands, has a good shot when stationary, but can't seem to utilize his shot well while in motion, plays a pretty responsible game on the whole. This player is just plain inconsistent, he certainly seems good enough to play in the NHL, but on the whole he's just not good enough often enough to factor into playing regularly on most teams in the league, as a depth forward he's pretty decent cause when he has a chip on his shoulder and feels the need to prove himself he is pretty good for short stints, when long term injuries come though you'll probably want someone better.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Turns out he's not the goat like Edmonton fans hyped him to be ;)

Huh? Edmonton fans said he was a #5 with upside, but he regressed, and we said he wasn’t an NHLer anymore. Toronto fans are the ones who were hyping him up as a legit top 4 dman

The OP asked for a depth guy, not a high end guy. He isnt top pairing good but he can play 2nd pair or bottom 6.

Ryan Murphy can not play 2nd pairing. In his 6 years as a pro, he hasn’t had a season where he hasn’t played in the AHL.

So
for
Edmonton's 2nd

I like it, but not involving a 2nd. Maybe Pouliot for a 3rd.

Carl Gunnarsson 50% retained for a conditional 2nd (becomes 3rd if he plays less than 42 games).

This could be a trade that makes sense for both teams. We’d have to dump a contract back to make it work. I’d do it if the pick was the other way. Make it a 3rd that’s upgraded to a 2nd if say he plays 50+ games, and averages 20+ minutes

Reactions: zcaptain

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Huh? Edmonton fans said he was a #5 with upside, but he regressed, and we said he wasn’t an NHLer anymore. Toronto fans are the ones who were hyping him up as a legit top 4 dman

Ryan Murphy can not play 2nd pairing. In his 6 years as a pro, he hasn’t had a season where he hasn’t played in the AHL.

I like it, but not involving a 2nd. Maybe Pouliot for a 3rd.

This could be a trade that makes sense for both teams. We’d have to dump a contract back to make it work. I’d do it if the pick was the other way. Make it a 3rd that’s upgraded to a 2nd if say he plays 50+ games, and averages 20+ minutes
I would do that! Perhaps we take Kassian's contract back ... I have to check the numbers.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Mike Stone could probably be had for a late pick. Don’t know if we’d trade him to the Oil though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad