Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
McKeown wouldn’t be a bad pickup but I’m not sure we have much to move that would be worth your time.

I actually think a lot of McKeown and feel he's probably ready to step into a #6 NHL role. As @Boom Boom Apathy said, he's blocked big time in Carolina. What about a McKeown for Tyler Benson type of deal? Both former 2nd round picks that slipped a bit in their draft year, McKeown demonstrated in the 2nd half of last season in Charlotte (and during his brief call up) that he's more than capable with something of an all-around game. Benson has had some injury issues but seemed to put it together in juniors last season. This feels fairly equivalent value-wise.

Ryan Murphy? Youngish fromer 1st round RHD. Has some potential.

Ryan Murphy has a lot of talent (good skater, bit shot - albeit takes a long time to get off, even solid passing capabilities), but he lacks the most important skill of all. There is a total dearth of hockey sense between his ears.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The Rangers have a glut of D men. I could see them moving a guy like Gilmour.
He seems to be the guy who is going to be odd man out behind ADA, Pionk, Hajek etc in the depth chart.
Not really interested in what you are offering though. Maybe a swap for Aberg is fair value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good luck getting a depth D better than what you already have. What pieces are the Oilers willing to part ways with to get a solid Depth defenseman? That is the question

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The price for a solid depth guy shouldn't be high.

Like guys like Schlemko or Benn? I think a lot of teams are not willing to help other teams too much to start the year. Maybe as the season goes along and they get to see how their rosters look, they can part ways with a guy who is disappointing or they have a healthy team and a surplus.

Pretty sure the Oilers are looking for someone better than Schlemko or Benn thought right?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good luck getting a depth D better than what you already have. What pieces are the Oilers willing to part ways with to get a solid Depth defenseman? That is the question

What pieces? More like piece, singular. Depth defencemen are dealt literally all the time.

Depth defencemen trades just last year:

You gave up a 5th rounder for Schlemko, a 5th for Rielly. Cole was acquired for a 3rd and a nothing prospect. Davidson got a 3rd. Kempny got a 3rd. Oleksiak got a fourth. Pouliot got Pedan and a fourth. Demers/McGinn. Emelin got a 3rd. Scandella+ for Ennis/Foligno+. Methot for a 2020 2nd and a goalie prospect. Hjalmarsson for Murphy/Dauphin. TVR+7th for 2nd. Mueller+5th for 2nd+4th. Beaulieu for 3rd.

Lots of these guys are upgrades on Jerabek/Gravel. Almost all of them were traded for cheap/nothing.

Aberg/Kassian/Caggiula + 3rd, for example, is more than 95% of these trades.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Like guys like Schlemko or Benn? I think a lot of teams are not willing to help other teams too much to start the year. Maybe as the season goes along and they get to see how their rosters look, they can part ways with a guy who is disappointing or they have a healthy team and a surplus.

Pretty sure the Oilers are looking for someone better than Schlemko or Benn thought right?

A guy like Schlemko would be just fine. Benn is mediocre at best. Literally all we need is a guy that can play 16 minutes and hold his own.

Reactions: TFHockey

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I don't understand, why do we need depth D? We don't, we need a #4. We've got enough depth guys, the big issue is that Benning is not a #4.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't understand, why do we need depth D? We don't, we need a #4. We've got enough depth guys, the big issue is that Benning is not a #4.

Nurse/Benning was actually a pretty good pairing for us last year with solid numbers. I’m fine with them as 2nd pair, as I’m fine with a healthy Klef and Lars on top pairing. Russell/Jerabek is a cluster f***.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
*SkinnerRubsFingersTogether.gif*

We need to move someone out. I’d give you the 5th no problem but you’d need to take Aberg too, if only to flip him elsewhere.

What's the plan with the injured Sekera? How serious is it and would you consider moving him and picks? Any interest in dumping that salary but taking on Alzner with salary retention? Lets say $1.5M per year brining it down to 4 years at $3.125

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ryan McLeod and Kailer Yamamoto have both been great in Oiler camp and have survived another round of cuts, and Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good. Right now we have 16 forwards in camp and the three aforementioned guys have complicated things.

Conversely, none of Jerabek/Garrison/Gravel have looked good enough to stay at this level.

So, what I’m proposing is:

To your team

Caggiula/Aberg/Kassian

Caggiula - Has upside, scored 13 goals.
Aberg - Very cheap, looks good with skilled guys.
Kassian - Physical, fast, strong playoffs in 16-17

To Edmonton

Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players. Maybe you’ve had a rookie that’s impressed and surpassed someone, and you don’t want to risk losing him on waivers for nothing?

We have squat for cap space so the player coming back can’t exceed the cap hit of the player going out (Kassian 1.95, Caggiula 1.5, Aberg 650k)

Madison Bowey seems like the kind of player you are asking for. Young, talented, and stuck in a numbers game in DC. He’s cost controlled (2yrs at 1m per), and will still be an RFA in 2020. He could absolutely move up from bottom pair, given the right coaching, playing time, and partner.

Problem for Caps is he’s basically their 7th and he needs ice time. It’s easily arguable that he could play over Orpik (or perhaps even Djoos), but we’d all be shocked if new HC Reirden benched his BFF and confidant Orpik. And honestly, that’s not a bad thing going into the season.

MadBow won’t become anything by sitting. He can’t go to Hershey. Caps have LOTS of young D in the pipeline (Hobbs can be called up to play bottom pair, and Lewington can be the 7th), so it’s an area of gluttony.

Oilers don’t have the F’s we need though, unfortunately. We don’t need older W’s. Kassian = DSP, it seems. We have Shumakov to look at for W, as well as Gersich, Pinho, and Barber. All UNDER 25. All fighting for W slots. Aberg or Caggiula are probably better now, but not by much.

Caps biggest issue may be 4C, depending on Boyd and whether Stephenson is playing in the top 9. Dowd blows, so I’m not counting him at all.

Is there any framework for a deal around Bowey, that I am missing? Young forward (preferably C). Could expand, but .....(say adding Burakovsky to play w McJesus, but that’s a 3m slot right there for the Oil)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What's the plan with the injured Sekera? How serious is it and would you consider moving him and picks? Any interest in dumping that salary but taking on Alzner with salary retention? Lets say $1.5M per year brining it down to 4 years at $3.125

C'mon get real. We aren't adding picks to Sekera to get rid of his contract. Let alone taking on Alzner.

Either he stays on the LTIR or he returns and plays. When healthy he is a top 4 defenseman.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I’m not worried about Sekera. Honestly at this point it’s fairly likely he’s LTIRetired. He will have missed almost two years of hockey and was awful when he came back for 20 games last year.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Edmonton really needs to be kicking the tires on Faulk. They need a top pairing dman not more depth at the position.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Madison Bowey seems like the kind of player you are asking for. Young, talented, and stuck in a numbers game in DC. He’s cost controlled (2yrs at 1m per), and will still be an RFA in 2020. He could absolutely move up from bottom pair, given the right coaching, playing time, and partner.

Problem for Caps is he’s basically their 7th and he needs ice time. It’s easily arguable that he could play over Orpik (or perhaps even Djoos), but we’d all be shocked if new HC Reirden benched his BFF and confidant Orpik. And honestly, that’s not a bad thing going into the season.

MadBow won’t become anything by sitting. He can’t go to Hershey. Caps have LOTS of young D in the pipeline (Hobbs can be called up to play bottom pair, and Lewington can be the 7th), so it’s an area of gluttony.

Oilers don’t have the F’s we need though, unfortunately. We don’t need older W’s. Kassian = DSP, it seems. We have Shumakov to look at for W, as well as Gersich, Pinho, and Barber. All UNDER 25. All fighting for W slots. Aberg or Caggiula are probably better now, but not by much.

Caps biggest issue may be 4C, depending on Boyd and whether Stephenson is playing in the top 9. Dowd blows, so I’m not counting him at all.

Is there any framework for a deal around Bowey, that I am missing? Young forward (preferably C). Could expand, but .....(say adding Burakovsky to play w McJesus, but that’s a 3m slot right there for the Oil)

Bowey would be a nice add. It’s a bit weird to say but hes almost TOO long term a solution with Bear and Bouchard in the pipeline - but I guess once one of Bowey/Bear/Bouchard surpassed Benning we wouldn’t have too many problems moving a young RHD. What would you be after?

As far as RW goes I think we’re content to stand pat right now. Rattie’s leading the preseason in scoring with 2 games played, Puljujarvi’s been really good, and Yamamoto is making it really difficult to send him down.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
EDM needs a top4 guy not a depth guy. Kris Russel needs to get 14-15 minutes a night instead of 20+ minutes a night and be transitioned to a bottom 2 guy.

Wonder what EDM would have to pay to get Tyson Barrie. Probably a pretty hefty price. And idk if it would work cap wise, but I'd like the fit otherwise.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton really needs to be kicking the tires on Faulk. They need a top pairing dman not more depth at the position.

Faulk is not a top pairing guy. I think he is still a top 4 guy though.

Bowey would be a nice add. It’s a bit weird to say but hes almost TOO long term a solution with Bear and Bouchard in the pipeline - but I guess once one of Bowey/Bear/Bouchard surpassed Benning we wouldn’t have too many problems moving a young RHD. What would you be after?

As far as RW goes I think we’re content to stand pat right now. Rattie’s leading the preseason in scoring with 2 games played, Puljujarvi’s been really good, and Yamamoto is making it really difficult to send him down.

How much to acquire him? Do the Oilers grab a him with Bear and Bouchard knocking on the door?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad