Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ryan McLeod and Kailer Yamamoto have both been great in Oiler camp and have survived another round of cuts, and Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good. Right now we have 16 forwards in camp and the three aforementioned guys have complicated things.

Conversely, none of Jerabek/Garrison/Gravel have looked good enough to stay at this level.

So, what I’m proposing is:

To your team

Caggiula/Aberg/Kassian

Caggiula - Has upside, scored 13 goals.
Aberg - Very cheap, looks good with skilled guys.
Kassian - Physical, fast, strong playoffs in 16-17

To Edmonton

Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players. Maybe you’ve had a rookie that’s impressed and surpassed someone, and you don’t want to risk losing him on waivers for nothing?

We have squat for cap space so the player coming back can’t exceed the cap hit of the player going out (Kassian 1.95, Caggiula 1.5, Aberg 650k)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought Gravel looked fairly decent for you guys when I watched him. Thought he's be a good depth guy.

For the Canes, every time I see McKeown play, I come away impressed, yet it's a numbers game in Carolina. Seems like he'd be a guy to take a chance on even if he has only played a handful of NHL games. Might not be what you are looking for.

Caggiula and Kassian really don't do anything for me though in terms of a return though. Don't know enough about Aberg.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lost me with "Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good". I think that more likely speaks to the quality of wingers in EDM than Alex Chiasson transitioning into a useful player. Maybe I am wrong.

He’s legitimately been good. Can’t speak to his time with other teams, but he’s been quick, engaged, and hard on pucks. It’s less that he’s been better than a guy like Kassian (although he absolutely has) and more that he could provide roughly the same impact for a third of the cost.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I thought Gravel looked fairly decent for you guys when I watched him. Thought he's be a good depth guy.

For the Canes, every time I see McKeown play, I come away impressed, yet it's a numbers game in Carolina. Seems like he'd be a guy to take a chance on even if he has only played a handful of NHL games. Might not be what you are looking for.

Caggiula and Kassian really don't do anything for me though in terms of a return though. Don't know enough about Aberg.

Gravel I thought was decent also, I thought he’d be fine as a 7. Jerabek has been really bad but is somehow still hanging around.

McKeown wouldn’t be a bad pickup but I’m not sure we have much to move that would be worth your time.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's not young, but Roman Polak is certainly available. Free too! Will even throw Remi Elie in as a bonus. Great chemistry with McDavid

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I’d think about it. Does he have any more upside than a 6/7 or has that ship sailed?

Replacing the Doug Weight "lol defense?" system with Trotz might be the spark Mayfield needs to become a top-6 defensive D. The term is what drives most Islander fans to want to trade him - he's signed for 5 more NHL seasons, albeit at a very low $1.45M cap hit if he can become a 4-5.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I’d think about it. Does he have any more upside than a 6/7 or has that ship sailed?
Not on the Islanders at least. I think he could play on the second pair some time in the future but he needs more experience and confidence.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Replacing the Doug Weight "lol defense?" system with Trotz might be the spark Mayfield needs to become a top-6 defensive D. The term is what drives most Islander fans to want to trade him - he's signed for 5 more NHL seasons, albeit at a very low $1.45M cap hit if he can become a 4-5.

...5 more seasons? Yikes. That’s a lot of term, not sure I’d want to absorb that much.

Didn’t you guys also give an AHL scrapper 4 years?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lost me with "Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good". I think that more likely speaks to the quality of wingers in EDM than Alex Chiasson transitioning into a useful player. Maybe I am wrong.
He has been better than Caggiula and Kassian as 4th line RW.
I think the Oilers will sign Gravel to be their #7 Dman. Rather have him in the PB than someone like Bear or Bouchard.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Oilers need a PP right hand shot dman. Why spend a few assets on a defenceman that doesn't directly resolve the Oilers need.

2019 2nd/ 2020 2nd/ Caggulia/ Kassian/ Slepyshev (take any three)

FOR

Faulk

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What’s wrong with the 4-5 depth defensemen already in their lineup?

Bear and Bouchard are really young and won’t benefit from limited minutes. Jerabek has been awful. Gravel just - somewhat questionably - got sent down. Garrison is a million years old.

We’ve got five guys that have spots locked down and the two guys that have looked the best - Bear and Bouchard - are relative babies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Mayyyyyybe. The other option would be to play Bear or Bouchard. Not sure I’m high enough on Carrick.
once we have it settled who's making the team, there should be some depth to make a deal. looks like just a #6 and #7 spot available for Carrick, Borgman, Rosen, Ozhiganov, Holl. I don't think all of those guys will end up being NHL caliber but probably more of them than we currently need will. Carrick is a safe NHL'er imo, low ceiling but always generates good possession numbers in a 3rd pairing role, that role has been pretty sheltered so far. He's little but spent a lot of the summer in a crazy workout program, he's probably our defenseman who's most apt to fight and doesn't shy away from contact, but he'll always be 5'10"

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad