Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would want a C prospect and that 2nd. If you need to throw salary in, that’s fine, long as it’s not long term (Aberg?).

What about Safin or Marody?
I can't see the Oilers parting with Marody. Safin could possibly be had though. Would be funny if he was traded, it would probably mean two times he is traded this week, as he is probably getting traded in junior from St. John to the Halifax Mooseheads.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would want a C prospect and that 2nd. If you need to throw salary in, that’s fine, long as it’s not long term (Aberg?).

Well, we just traded for Marody and he’s developmentally ahead of what we were expecting for him - looks like he will start out as 1 or 2 C in Bakersfield. Had a good camp and likely lines up with Tyler Benson. Can’t see him being available.

Safin is interesting. He was PPG on a terrible team last year. He just got dealt to Halifax and is poised to have a monster year. His size, shot, and skating ability are very tantalizing - I think the organization wants to keep him. Cheap depth is going to be the name of the game for us.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Organizationally we’re really light on centre prospects. Currie/Marody/Hebig/Vesel/Gambardella/Rasanen/Larkin isn’t exactly a murderer’s row. Might be one NHLer in the lot, two at the most.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I can't see the Oilers parting with Marody. Safin could possibly be had though. Would be funny if he was traded, it would probably mean two times he is traded this week, as he is probably getting traded in junior from St. John to the Halifax Mooseheads.

Marody would make sense for the Caps. We need young C’s, and he could get some possible ice time down the line in DC.

Bowey is worth more than each of the 3 forwards being dangled. His salary is low enough that it shouldn’t cause Sal Cap issues if you demote Gravel.

Marody and a 2nd for Bowey. I think I’d do that as a Caps fan.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well, we just traded for Marody and he’s developmentally ahead of what we were expecting for him - looks like he will start out as 1 or 2 C in Bakersfield. Had a good camp and likely lines up with Tyler Benson. Can’t see him being available.

Safin is interesting. He was PPG on a terrible team last year. He just got dealt to Halifax and is poised to have a monster year. His size, shot, and skating ability are very tantalizing - I think the organization wants to keep him. Cheap depth is going to be the name of the game for us.

Just saw this. Still...gotta pay to play. Maybe Safin would also do it.

Safin/Marody and a 2nd for Bowey

Reactions: ALee10

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Drake Caggiula for Ryan Murphy. Murphy is an offensive RHD. Might be worth the risk for Edmonton?

Whatever you think of Caggiula, he’s worth substantially more than Murphy, who should be available on waivers pretty much any minute now, right?

Caggiula’s no great shakes but he’s young, cheapish, positionally versatile and scored 13 goals last year.

Downsides - His effort level is spotty sometimes and needs to be reminded he has to give 100% every night to be effective.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Valiev and Lernout are on waivers and could both possibly fill the role of a #6 or #7 in the NHL. They looked good in camp. Could have stayed up.

Otherwise Habs would accept a late pick for Jordie Benn, Karl Alzner or David Schlemko.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Marody would make sense for the Caps. We need young C’s, and he could get some possible ice time down the line in DC.

Bowey is worth more than each of the 3 forwards being dangled. His salary is low enough that it shouldn’t cause Sal Cap issues if you demote Gravel.

Marody and a 2nd for Bowey. I think I’d do that as a Caps fan.

I don't see us trading for Bowey. We need proven NHL talent, our prospect pool for defensemen is really good. If we wanted to go with an NHL ready rookie, we'd play Bear and not worry about getting another d-man. I certainly wouldn't add a 2nd to Marody for Bowey either. I don't know if I would want him badly enough to do the 2nd alone for Bowey. He just isn't what we are looking for.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just saw this. Still...gotta pay to play. Maybe Safin would also do it.

Safin/Marody and a 2nd for Bowey
The way you've described him, Bowey isn't that far away from the waiver wire. I don't think you'd find a team floating a second round pick for him, let alone adding a legitimate prospect like Cooper Marody. Bowey falls into the same category as Schmaltz IMO--a right D prospect blocked developmentally by established talent. He'd make sense for the Oilers this year, but their depth just isn't at C, so the return wouldn't really fill an organizational need.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Deleted.

Ryan McLeod and Kailer Yamamoto have both been great in Oiler camp and have survived another round of cuts, and Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good. Right now we have 16 forwards in camp and the three aforementioned guys have complicated things.

Conversely, none of Jerabek/Garrison/Gravel have looked good enough to stay at this level.

So, what I’m proposing is:

To your team

Caggiula/Aberg/Kassian

Caggiula - Has upside, scored 13 goals.
Aberg - Very cheap, looks good with skilled guys.
Kassian - Physical, fast, strong playoffs in 16-17

To Edmonton

Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players. Maybe you’ve had a rookie that’s impressed and surpassed someone, and you don’t want to risk losing him on waivers for nothing?

We have squat for cap space so the player coming back can’t exceed the cap hit of the player going out (Kassian 1.95, Caggiula 1.5, Aberg 650k)

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Just to play out the scenario but would Christian Djoos intrigue you?

I don't see us trading for Bowey. We need proven NHL talent, our prospect pool for defensemen is really good. If we wanted to go with an NHL ready rookie, we'd play Bear and not worry about getting another d-man. I certainly wouldn't add a 2nd to Marody for Bowey either. I don't know if I would want him badly enough to do the 2nd alone for Bowey. He just isn't what we are looking for.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Whatever you think of Caggiula, he’s worth substantially more than Murphy, who should be available on waivers pretty much any minute now, right?

Caggiula’s no great shakes but he’s young, cheapish, positionally versatile and scored 13 goals last year.

Downsides - His effort level is spotty sometimes and needs to be reminded he has to give 100% every night to be effective.
Doesn't have to be Caggiula, but as a fan of both teams I think Murphy would be an interesting fit on Edmonton.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Doesn't have to be Caggiula, but as a fan of both teams I think Murphy would be an interesting fit on Edmonton.

What do you see in Murphy? What I saw in many, many views in Carolina is he's an "offensive" defenseman who isn't that good offensively, has an agonizingly slow windup on his slap shot, is afraid of contact in his own zone, and isn't good defensively. How is that a good fit? Or has he changed in the last 12 months?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The way you've described him, Bowey isn't that far away from the waiver wire. I don't think you'd find a team floating a second round pick for him, let alone adding a legitimate prospect like Cooper Marody. Bowey falls into the same category as Schmaltz IMO--a right D prospect blocked developmentally by established talent. He'd make sense for the Oilers this year, but their depth just isn't at C, so the return wouldn't really fill an organizational need.

Where did I describe a 23yr old emerging defenseman as “waiver wire”? Caps will not allow that to happen, they will trade him.

Look, the team brought back almost ever single player form their SC team. Certainly all their defensemen. It’s not Bowey’s fault he plays for them. Most young D need to cut their teeth in some form, and he did last year. But it was Trotz’s last shot in the playoffs, so Bowey wasn’t getting a sweater over Orpik. And he shouldn’t have, based on the results. This year? Maybe he should play over Brooks....but the new coach isn’t going to sit his confidant to start the year. He needs him. So I get that too.

Bowey is a really good player. The Caps are a really really good team. This shit will happen (akin to the Caps losing Schmidt, Williams, MaJo, Shattenkirk, Alzner etc and STILL winning the Cup). He isn’t 7th D for a scrub team, let’s not get silly.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Where did I describe a 23yr old emerging defenseman as “waiver wire”? Caps will not allow that to happen, they will trade him.

Look, the team brought back almost ever single player form their SC team. Certainly all their defensemen. It’s not Bowey’s fault he plays for them. Most young D need to cut their teeth in some form, and he did last year. But it was Trotz’s last shot in the playoffs, so Bowey wasn’t getting a sweater over Orpik. And he shouldn’t have, based on the results. This year? Maybe he should play over Brooks....but the new coach isn’t going to sit his confidant to start the year. He needs him. So I get that too.

Bowey is a really good player. The Caps are a really really good team. This **** will happen (akin to the Caps losing Schmidt, Williams, MaJo, Shattenkirk, Alzner etc and STILL winning the Cup). He isn’t 7th D for a scrub team, let’s not get silly.
If that's the fact, then I doubt you'll see him moved. Odds are that Orpik isn't an 82 game player though and if Bowey is first in line, I assume he'll be getting all of the scraps thrown his way. And he'll be their insurance policy should any injuries arise.

But you need to remember this is a player who is not established in the NHL in any way. And if they're trading him so Brooks Orpik can see regular minutes, Madison Bowey isn't going to be holding a ton of trade value to other GMs.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think if Murphy was the best available we’d just say screw it and run with Bouchard or Bear.
Well Bouchard or Bear would be better than your typical #6 so I think that's pretty irrelevant to the thread asking about #6 dmen. I think Bouchard would be top 4 already in Edmonton if he did play.
What do you see in Murphy? What I saw in many, many views in Carolina is he's an "offensive" defenseman who isn't that good offensively, has an agonizingly slow windup on his slap shot, is afraid of contact in his own zone, and isn't good defensively. How is that a good fit? Or has he changed in the last 12 months?
What I see is a poor man's Dumba. I thought he looked alright with Brodin. Obviously a big step down from Spurgeon/Dumba but again, the thread was asking for "Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players." Edmonton needs help offensively from the back end. I think Murphy could help the third pairing. But, yes, he's a #6 for a reason and on stacked defensive teams, such as Minnesota, he's in the AHL/pressbox.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If that's the fact, then I doubt you'll see him moved. Odds are that Orpik isn't an 82 game player though and if Bowey is first in line, I assume he'll be getting all of the scraps thrown his way. And he'll be their insurance policy should any injuries arise.

But you need to remember this is a player who is not established in the NHL in any way. And if they're trading him so Brooks Orpik can see regular minutes, Madison Bowey isn't going to be holding a ton of trade value to other GMs.

I’m not sure I follow all of your logic. Are you saying because he’s not “established in any way” that he won’t garner a pick? Didn’t you just give up a 3rd rounder for Marody? How was he established?

Marody is far less established than Bowey. He got a 3rd. Bowey can certainly get a 2nd.

Look, the Caps wont bench Orpik for at least Reirden’s first 20 games. The HC will need him there for a variety of reasons which go well beyond the ice. On top of that, Orpik is our best PK’er (Bowey hasn’t spent time there yet), and he had a terrific playoffs. Over 96 save percentage against. Beating up Orpik isn’t really proving your point that Bowey isn’t a good player. LOL.

Caps have a large D pipeline. They just do. Bowey is in a numbers game. Unless there is an injury to a top 6D, he’s going to get traded. The question is where, and for what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad