Value of: Depth defenceman to Edmonton

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs have a plethora of 6/7 guys.
Id be interested in a deal around one of them + Leivo for Kassian + something medium sized.

Leafs could use some more muscle in the bottom 6, and Kassian has shown a bit of production.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m not sure I follow all of your logic. Are you saying because he’s not “established in any way” that he won’t garner a pick? Didn’t you just give up a 3rd rounder for Marody? How was he established?

Marody is far less established than Bowey. He got a 3rd. Bowey can certainly get a 2nd.

Look, the Caps wont bench Orpik for at least Reirden’s first 20 games. The HC will need him there for a variety of reasons which go well beyond the ice. On top of that, Orpik is our best PK’er (Bowey hasn’t spent time there yet), and he had a terrific playoffs. Over 96 save percentage against. Beating up Orpik isn’t really proving your point that Bowey isn’t a good player. LOL.

Caps have a large D pipeline. They just do. Bowey is in a numbers game. Unless there is an injury to a top 6D, he’s going to get traded. The question is where, and for what.
Players who are waiver eligible don't have the ability to be sent to their farm systems without being offered up for free to the rest of the league, thus they need NHL time to be properly developed. This is why a player like Cooper Marody would have significantly more value to the Edmonton Oilers than Madison Bowey. He has three full seasons of waiver exemption, leaving the Oilers plenty of time to properly develop him. It's also why the Oilers wouldn't be offering a second round pick for Bowey, when it's very possible Bowey wouldn't have a regular spot in a healthy Edmonton Oilers lineup. A second rounder just returned Ryan McLeod, who is looking like an even better prospect than Marody.

Regardless of where Bowey ends up, he's at the sink-or-swim point of his development path. Players like that don't have a ton of trade value at this point.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just to play out the scenario but would Christian Djoos intrigue you?
Honestly, I only have watched 2 or 3 of his games, so I probably don't have an accurate portrayal of what he could bring. I haven't seen him enough to know if he is an upgrade on what we have. If he isn't, then I'm not interested.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Players who are waiver eligible don't have the ability to be sent to their farm systems without being offered up for free to the rest of the league, thus they need NHL time to be properly developed. This is why a player like Cooper Marody would have significantly more value to the Edmonton Oilers than Madison Bowey. He has three full seasons of waiver exemption, leaving the Oilers plenty of time to properly develop him. It's also why the Oilers wouldn't be offering a second round pick for him, when it's very possible Bowey wouldn't have a regular spot in a healthy Edmonton Oilers lineup.

Regardless of where Bowey ends up, he's at the sink-or-swim point of his development path. Players like that don't have a ton of trade value at this point.

Bowey wouldn’t have a regular spot? That’s hyperbole. Big time.

Ok then

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What I see is a poor man's Dumba. I thought he looked alright with Brodin. Obviously a big step down from Spurgeon/Dumba but again, the thread was asking for "Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players." Edmonton needs help offensively from the back end. I think Murphy could help the third pairing. But, yes, he's a #6 for a reason and on stacked defensive teams, such as Minnesota, he's in the AHL/pressbox.

And that's where I disagree. I don't think Murphy is an NHL defenseman, not even a #6 based on what I saw from him. I've seen most every game he played in Carolina and I woudn't want him anywhere near the 3rd pairing. Maybe he's gotten vastly better in the past 12 months.

Reactions: TFHockey

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bowey wouldn’t have a regular spot? That’s hyperbole. Big time.

Ok then
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Next year?

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Sekera - Benning
Russell

Bowey would be a short-term add for the Oilers. He'd fill a need we have today and he'd probably be gone tomorrow.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Next year?

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Sekera - Benning
Russell

Bowey would be a short-term add for the Oilers. He'd fill a need we have today and he'd probably be gone tomorrow.

In all fairness, I would be perfectly content with giving each of Bowey, Bear and Bouchard the chance to take Benning's job. I just wouldn't give up a 2nd and a good prospect to do it. I think Sekera is done as well, which makes it:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Bouchard/Bear/New Guy
Jerabek (barf) or other new guy

next year

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russel-Bear
Benning/cheap veteran

Basically, it means that in the long term, we don't really need Bowey, just like belair said. What we need is a short term gap filler who we can play for a year, and then decide which of our right defensemen we can trade a year from now.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
This could be a trade that makes sense for both teams. We’d have to dump a contract back to make it work. I’d do it if the pick was the other way. Make it a 3rd that’s upgraded to a 2nd if say he plays 50+ games, and averages 20+ minutes
Conditions can be haggled, but I think a 2nd is light for 50+ games and 20+ minutes of a top 4 defender. That would historically bring closer to two 2nds at the TDL, no?

Agreed that there could be a solid basis of a deal here tho.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Next year?

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Sekera - Benning
Russell

Sekera isn’t playing anytime soon this year. If at all. Benning and Russell aren’t exactly good, and one should be on a fast train out of town (Russell).

Klefbom and Larson are really nice players. I think a Nurse will be too. After that, it’s a bit of a crapshoot.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
In all fairness, I would be perfectly content with giving each of Bowey, Bear and Bouchard the chance to take Benning's job. I just wouldn't give up a 2nd and a good prospect to do it. I think Sekera is done as well, which makes it:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Bouchard/Bear/New Guy
Jerabek (barf) or other new guy

next year

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russel-Bear
Benning/cheap veteran

Basically, it means that in the long term, we don't really need Bowey, just like belair said. What we need is a short term gap filler who we can play for a year, and then decide which of our right defensemen we can trade a year from now.

All fair comments. I get it.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Faulk for RNH?

I think this one makes the .ost sense especially if Faulk comes back to form.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
As a leafs fan honestly i wuldnt want any of those players for the big club but id take kassian on the marlies to knock out anyone tryna hurt our developing prospects and play him like 4-5 nhl games aa year against teams with players like him.

Carrick for a 4th +kassian would be a decent swap for edmonton because carrick is for sure a nhler

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As a leafs fan honestly i wuldnt want any of those players for the big club but id take kassian on the marlies to knock out anyone tryna hurt our developing prospects and play him like 4-5 nhl games aa year against teams with players like him.

Carrick for a 4th +kassian would be a decent swap for edmonton because carrick is for sure a nhler

Kassian’s still an NHLer. He never should have gotten a three year deal as it made him a bit complacent and dulled his edge a bit, and his 1.95 million is too much for a team that needs cheap role players, but he can skate, hit, fight, and chip in 20 points. He shouldn’t be in the AHL.

Keep him on the Leafs and tell him to eat anyone that looks at Matthews/Tavares/Marner the wrong way. We’ve already got Khaira/Lucic/Nurse to handle that end of things.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ryan McLeod and Kailer Yamamoto have both been great in Oiler camp and have survived another round of cuts, and Alex Chiasson has brought physicality and energy and has also looked good. Right now we have 16 forwards in camp and the three aforementioned guys have complicated things.

Conversely, none of Jerabek/Garrison/Gravel have looked good enough to stay at this level.

So, what I’m proposing is:

To your team

Caggiula/Aberg/Kassian

Caggiula - Has upside, scored 13 goals.
Aberg - Very cheap, looks good with skilled guys.
Kassian - Physical, fast, strong playoffs in 16-17

To Edmonton

Your youngish #6 depth defenceman that can play at the NHL level and is maybe buried behind better players. Maybe you’ve had a rookie that’s impressed and surpassed someone, and you don’t want to risk losing him on waivers for nothing?

We have squat for cap space so the player coming back can’t exceed the cap hit of the player going out (Kassian 1.95, Caggiula 1.5, Aberg 650k)

This has Slater Koekkoek written all over it.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I like it, but not involving a 2nd. Maybe Pouliot for a 3rd.

I would do Pouliot for a 3rd...……...no retention, no 4th rounder

I just thought you guys may like to keep as much of your cap as you could...…….
and I didn't think the 4th and the 2nd were actually that far apart in the big picture

Mt position/thoughts are you are not getting a 6th Dman with potential, albeit limited, that can score 22 points on an bottom 7 team, for $550,000 and get a 4th along with it...………

For instance, Pouliot probably gets 30 pts playing for you guys....nothing to sneeze about

I do get that the 2nd is cherished, but I don't think you get anything close to Pouliot for that cheap, that has both RD and LD capabilities...….I am not saying he is an end all to be all...….so maybe your counter is more appropriate

Our problem is that we have too many 5/6 Dmen...…...not enough 1/2/3/and 4's
Maybe we will both have a different view after tonight......but I doubt it...

Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad