Tennis: Wimbledon 2019

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Odd little stat: in Stan's and Opelka's five setter, there were no 7-6 sets, quite a rarity with Opelka.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Khachanov evens his match with Lopez at a set apiece. Younger legs should prevail now.

Khachanov takes the third set 7-5 and looks damn good doing it. He seems very comfortable on grass.

Karen blows a break lead but quickly recovers to take the match.

Definite dark horse contender, this one.

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I haven't seen anyone say they deserve to win. They need to get their **** together and start winning. So far, they are mostly failing.

Why do they have to “start winning?” What’s with the imperative?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Are you really puzzled that some people are eager to see a new generation rise up?

There's clearly a benefit to the sport if we can finally see some real challengers to the Big 3.

If these guys can't do it (and they have time to figure it out), then you continue to wait. But, it's perfectly natural to want to see it happen and be frustrated when it doesn't.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
ESPN is running Gauff ads and obviously rooting for her. We'll find out today if she's for real.

The only thing that can stop my pick the Djoker (new Joker movie coming out this year) from winning the tourney is if kihei picked him. ;)

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
ESPN is running Gauff ads and obviously rooting for her. We'll find out today if she's for real.

The only thing that can stop my pick the Djoker (new Joker movie coming out this year) from winning the tourney is if kihei picked him. ;)
Oh, she's for real. She looked like Venus playing her younger self yesterday. Very similar game. Regardless of what she does today, she has a very bright future.

...and Kihei did pick Nole, so beware.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix and Moutet having a very interesting second set at the moment....Moutet 1 for 10 on break points.....make that 2 for 11 as Moutet takes the second set.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This Edmund match has to finally end so I can watch Nole and Gauff is also playing.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Are you really puzzled that some people are eager to see a new generation rise up?

There's clearly a benefit to the sport if we can finally see some real challengers to the Big 3.

If these guys can't do it (and they have time to figure it out), then you continue to wait. But, it's perfectly natural to want to see it happen and be frustrated when it doesn't.

How is ushering the Big 3 out good for tennis?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix wins the third set which was a mix of brilliance and mental lapses from both players.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Rooting for younger players to hopefully rise to the level of the big 3 does not equate to ushering them out.

I'm really struggling to get what you're protesting against.

So tennis “fans” are annoyed that inferior athletes can’t knock 3 legends off the mountain?

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Unless they move Gauff off Court 2 she won't play today. Anderson's match is far from over.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
So tennis “fans” are annoyed that inferior athletes can’t knock 3 legends off the mountain?

So, you used fans in quotation marks and use the word annoyed, which I never used in my conversation. I'm suspecting that you're not interested in a discussion around this, and were looking to express anger for whatever reasons.

Enjoy the tournament.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If he wins the next round, Felix will move ahead of Stan and into the 18th spot in the world rankings.

There's a bunch of players around that top 20 that are still active, so, things could still move around quite a bit before this tournament is done. But, a win would probably firmly place him in the top 20.

More importantly, my vacation time starts this weekend, so if he wins, I can actually watch his matches rather browsing scores while pretending to pay attention in meetings.

Reactions: kihei and MsMeow

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Felix with a nice win despite not playing overly well and struggling with his first serve for solid portions of the match. Will have to be much sharper (at least in the Round of 16).

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Because they are talented enough that they should have made a much bigger dent by now. Because I'm tired of seeing the same players go deep into majors and 1000s all the time. As much as I love Roger, a guy his age shouldn't be regularly making quarters, semis and finals. Generation useless was brutal and I'd love to see the young guys start to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad