Tennis: Wimbledon 2019

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The day after a slam is a sad day. Who can get excited about the Swedish Open :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: kihei

member 305909

It has totally escaped my attention that there is a new rule in Wimbledon that even in the fifth set there is a tie-break if the score is 12-12.

A good rule if you ask me. Life is too short.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The day after a slam is a sad day. Who can get excited about the Swedish Open :laugh::laugh:
I woke up today and groggily remembered some things about the match. It seemed like I was remembering the greatest party ever with lots of fun and surprises. I was momentarily elated in my drowsy state....And then I belatedly recalled that it rained in the end....the dog drowned in the pool....and my best girl went home with another guy. Terrific story, but not the happy ending that I could almost taste it was so close to becoming reality.

Reactions: Beau Knows

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I woke up today and groggily remembered some things about the match. It seemed like I was remembering the greatest party ever with lots of fun and surprises. I was momentarily elated in my drowsy state....And then I belatedly recalled that it rained in the end....the dog drowned in the pool....and my best girl went home with another guy. Terrific story, but not the happy ending that I could almost taste it was so close to becoming reality.
A friend and I were talking about how we both have the match on PVR but neither of us has the heart to watch.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Federer is sometimes called mentally weak due to his relatively poor breakpoint conversion rate (about 20 or so opportunities in the USO final against Novak?), I then usually answer that he has the best tiebreak record among active players. So I think it's more the case that during break points he is facing serves on his ad side, i.e. his weak backhand side.

This match was like the complete opposite, Federer lost all three tiebreakers and managed to convert 7 break points to Novak's 3 (!), hit 94 winners to Novak's 54, and won the points 218-204. Tennis can really be a cruel game, I felt he played well enough to win this one on his own terms (unlike the two past Wimbledon finals between the two). Oh well, I guess it's hard to feel sorry for a 20-grand slam champ...still...what could've been.

Fantastic match regardless.

Reactions: kihei

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I definitely think that Joker does get a little disrespected in the talk around the big 3. Overall as a player I do think that Joker is better than Nadal, but obviously Nadal wipes the floor with anyone ever.

Now as far as Joker and Feds I think it’s pretty close with Feds currently having a slight advantage. As far as competition goes Feds came in and had a weaker competition pool than Joker did where Roddick and Hewitt were among the best players and while they’re good that isn’t the best of competition.

Joker had prime Federer and Nadal to deal with his whole career and Andy Murray who while obviously isn’t nearly as good, is still a damn good player. A hit against Jokers competition is that Nadals health ended up taking him out of a lot of tournaments and that Feds has gotten older and while still amazing isn’t quite what he was.

I think they’re all really close, but I do think that there’s a legitimate chance that Joker could end up the best player of the 3.

Reactions: Fighter

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Nadal has only won 6 majors off clay. Outside Roland-Garros he's not in the same league as Fed and the Joker.
That's the same amount of total slams that Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg have won in their entire careers and they're both considered ATGs.

Rafa's also won all four majors (was the youngest to do so), been to 14 total finals on HC/grass majors, won approx. 170 GS matches on HC/grass (doubt many in history have won more than that), won 2+ slams on all three surfaces and is actually the only player to win a slam on all three surfaces in the same calendar season. Even as a Fed stan like myself, its crazy how underrated Rafa's versatility is at times.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Nadal has only won 6 majors off clay. Outside Roland-Garros he's not in the same league as Fed and the Joker.

Djovkovic has only won 6 majors off hard court its not like he is killing on multiple surfaces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad