Tennis: Wimbledon 2019

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
GA Blues & ribs
If he wins the next round, Felix will move ahead of Stan and into the 18th spot in the world rankings.
If Gauff wins this match you'll move her above Serena in your kihei world rankings. ;) I was right about them moving her off Court 2. She would have played Keys next, but Keys lost.

Hopefully Serena, Stephens, and Isner win tomorrow.

The last major not won by the Big 3 was the 2016 US Open by Wrinkles.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Oh my God... Coco Gauff is so damn good.

Every time I watch her, I am reminded of a young Venus Williams. Her maturity on the court, the intelligence she displays in constructing points, her shot making, the power, the athleticism. It's absolutely captivating and beautiful watching this kid show off her game. I've never been so confident but I think the heir apparent to Serena and Venus for women's tennis is here. How apropo too, considering Coco got into tennis because of Rena + Vee and grew up idolizing them. I just hope the media doesn't dogpile on her when, inevitably, throughout her career things don't go as planned. She is going to have stumbles and setbacks like any pro athlete but there's no possible way she isn't destined for superstardom. And Anisimova shouldn't be forgotten about either. Could be the women's next great rivalry. These two + hopefully Osaka should define the next generation of women's tennis.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Also, never knew Sam Groth was a racist lying piece of shit. Knew he had a shitty tennis game though.

What Serena said;

"She's like the sweetest, cutest girl on tour. She's so nice. She has the most beautiful game, such classic shots. I mean, she does everything right. Her technique is, like, flawless. Obviously I'm happy for her. Yeah, it's good. It's good for her."

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^

That is a very strange response to that comment from that guy whoever he is. Sounds like he needs meds badly.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Opelka's win really surprised me. At Eastbourne a week previously, Opelka looked totally flumoxed by the surface and exited in the first round to Steve Johnson. Opelka didn't seem comfortable at all bending for low balls, so he got a lot of low balls from Johnson. Obviously he must have played a much better game against Stan, but it still seems a shocker.

Edit: According to the ATP site, today marked Opelka's first victory on grass courts since joining the tour in 2015.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Gotta LOL at the media trying to make a “rivalry” out of Rafa and Kyrgios. Rafa’s got 18 majors while Kyrgios has like 4 overall titles despite being on tour for 4-5 years now.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm quite intrigued about the Rafa/Kyrgios match. Kyrgios has all the talent in the world but he's also a quitter. Rafa is the most tenacious player on the tour and he was not happy with Nick's boorish behaviour in the past. I think this match is in Kyrgios' hands depending on which version of him shows up.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm quite intrigued about the Rafa/Kyrgios match. Kyrgios has all the talent in the world but he's also a quitter. Rafa is the most tenacious player on the tour and he was not happy with Nick's boorish behaviour in the past. I think this match is in Kyrgios' hands depending on which version of him shows up.

Yeah, if Nick really shows up then he can definitely win but I have my doubts.

Nadal will, no doubt, show up and I think he wins today.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Speakling of Australian head cases, there is serious competition. Tomic has had his prize money withheld after his nonchalant 58 minute performance against Tsonga. I would have thrown in a suspension, but you can't have everything.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Anyone else think that Steve Johnson looks like Mister Potato Head?

Methinks, Nick wilts under the unforgiving, steely gaze of Rafa. Nadal is going to be super-motivated in this one.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Speakling of Australian head cases, there is serious competition. Tomic has had his prize money withheld after his nonchalant 58 minute performance against Tsonga. I would have thrown in a suspension, but you can't have everything.
Time to start suspending him and Kyrgios when they do this.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
An ever fragile, ever nervous Kvitova is gifted the first set by Mladenovic who started strong and then choked badly in her last two service games, 7-5.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Starting a little earlier than scheduled, Rafa and Nick are about to start play.

In the first three games, Nick takes a total of three points.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Set apiece. The longer this goes, the better Nick's chances, I should think, that is, if he holds his act together.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Kyrgios takes the 2nd set, I'm sure he'll wilt at some point but he looks much more focused than usual and seems to be feeding off the sideshow aspect of the match.

Reactions: kihei

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nick's schtick brings him a lot of attention. He doesn't win that much but his personality brings him loads of attention. You're going to see extra focus on every match he has.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kerber and Anisimova knocked out; Juvan hanging tough in the third set against Serena, 2-1.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Oh come on! I was just about to say that we've only seen one tweener from Kyrgios during this match - and that one even made sense. But he goes for it at 40-0 for no reason.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I was thinking Nadal might roll today but seems Nick is interested today. Hopefully he stays engaged the whole time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nick throws a deliberate knock-down shot that Nadal is lucky to block. Now Rafa is really motivated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad