Tennis: Wimbledon 2019

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Djokovic and Kerber are the defending champs.

Federer is coming off a title in Halle but I'd still go with Djokovic as the favorite. Women's side, take a pick. No clear favorite IMO.

Wimbledon has their own set of rules (which I don't like at all), so Djokovic and Federer are the top 2 seeds.

2019 Wimbledon Championships - Wikipedia

There will be at least 6 Canadians in the main draws...4 on the Men's side and 2 on the Women's side.

Auger-Aliassime looks to finally get a main draw win at a Grand Slam. He'll be seeded #19.

Raonic is always dangerous here but health concerns as usual. He'll be seeded #15.

Shapovalov is going through a major slump, we'll see if he can wake up here. He'll be seeded #29.

Pospisil set to return from a very long layoff after surgery. I don't think he's played a match since late October 2018.

Andresscu still working her way back from injury will be seeded #25.

Bouchard has a finals appearance here but that's basically ancient history at this point. She's unseeded of course.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just a guess, but I would say that there is about a 98% chance that one of the current Big Three win this. The last time some one other than Nole, Roger, Rafa and Andy won Wimbledon was 2002 (Hewitt). Do you even remember where you lived in 2002? Or put another way, when Lleyton lifted the Cup, FAA was one year old.

So I am really going out on a limb on this one to pick Nole and Serena to win the tournament.

Most likely to upset the apple cart: Rafa and Kvitova

Plausible dark horses: Anderson and Konta

Super dark horses: Raonic and Sabalenka

Won't get to the semis: Roger and Barty

Lifetime record: 6-21,382

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schnur and Diez both won their first round match. They play each other in R2. Mahut was in Schnur's group but got beat, so Schnur has a decent shot to qualify here.

Polansky with a 6-1 6-1 loss to Attila Balaz (???). Pretty bad loss.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is worrisome for Andreescu. Hopefully she fully heals this time.

Reactions: Tuggy

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Schnur and Diez both won their first round match. They play each other in R2. Mahut was in Schnur's group but got beat, so Schnur has a decent shot to qualify here. Polansky with a 6-1 6-1 loss to Attila Balaz (???). Pretty bad loss.
Speaking of Mahut:
On This Date: The longest match in Wimbledon history
On June 24, 2010, Nicholas Mahut and John Isner battled for 11 hours and five minutes over the span of three days, with Isner topping Mahut.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Speaking of Mahut:
On This Date: The longest match in Wimbledon history
On June 24, 2010, Nicholas Mahut and John Isner battled for 11 hours and five minutes over the span of three days, with Isner topping Mahut.
Funny thing, Mahut doesn't really have that big a serve, but he is very good at placing it. Neither he nor Isner were returning well that day, historically not a strong suit for either, and so it went on and on and on and on and on...........................

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schnur with a routine win over Diez.

Doesn't know his opponent yet in the FQR, but Schnur should be the favorite to qualify.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's really a shame about Andreescu. With the format of the tv contracts in Canada, the GS and Rogers Cup are the only place most people will be able to watch her. Her huge win is probably forgotten by the general audiences.

As for the big 3 being the heavy favorites, it's hard to disagree. A thought experiment I had recently is I'm trying to guess the first calendar year where none of the big 3 wins a major. If you had to place an over/under on it, I think it would have to be at least 2024, and even then I'm tempted to take the over.

Reactions: kihei

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A thought experiment I had recently is I'm trying to guess the first calendar year where none of the big 3 wins a major. If you had to place an over/under on it, I think it would have to be at least 2024, and even then I'm tempted to take the over.

Wow that. Is. Bold.

I'm not convinced any of them passes 20-21 majors, though maybe one of them gets to 22. If what I'm prognosticating is realistic that means they'll combine to win about 7 to 11 majors over the remainder of their careers, so likely 2 more this year, 2-4 next year, 2-3 in 2021, 1-2 in 2022, and 0-2 in 2023.

Let's not forget that the current next Gen of Zverev, Tsitsipas, FAA et al are all likely multi-major winners in the future in multiple different slams. Thiem will surely dominate the FO once Rafa loses half a step, and even wildly inconsistent hitters like Shapo, Khachenov, etc. can steal a slam or two.

I half hope you're right tho (and I need to use this avatar for a few more years until the Red Wings become relevant again :laugh:)

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Wow that. Is. Bold.

I'm not convinced any of them passes 20-21 majors, though maybe one of them gets to 22. If what I'm prognosticating is realistic that means they'll combine to win about 7 to 11 majors over the remainder of their careers, so likely 2 more this year, 2-4 next year, 2-3 in 2021, 1-2 in 2022, and 0-2 in 2023.

That falls within that 2024 being the over/under. They only have to win one in a year to keep the streak going.

They're going into every major as the top threats. Even once (if?) the new crop really establishes themselves, if these guys are still playing, they'll be the dark horse threats.

I also think the competitiveness of total major wins is going to keep them going. They'll keep playing to prevent the others from racking up the victories.

We'll see. I actually hoped I'm wrong. Id love to see the new class break through. It's clear though, the old guys* aren't going to make it easy for them.

*All people younger than me.

Reactions: Hadoop

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Christ, Rafa alone could win the next five French Opens and make this prediction come true all by himself.

While Ken Rosewall won a big tournament (not a major) at 43, I don't see Fed lasting that long. Which means for this prediction to come true, Nole is the youngest and the most likely to rack up new majors. Still I don't seen him winning a major in 2024--though strangers things have happened. It wouldn't surprise me if the streak went through 2022, though.

Besides in 2023 Felix is going to win the Grand Slam.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schnur with a routine win over Diez.

Doesn't know his opponent yet in the FQR, but Schnur should be the favorite to qualify.

Well so much for that...he got beat down today.

May be in the LL conversation if there is any.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
We have our draw...

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS

First round highlights:

Djokovic vs Kohlschreiber - should make Nole work.
Auger-Aliassime vs Pospisil - why did they have to meet in the first round...my two favorite Canadian players :( and with Vasek just coming back off a long layoff. Looking at it objectively though for Felix, should be a good first round match. Can't expect much from Vasek at this point.
Raonic vs Gunneswaran - winnable opener for Milos to get going.
Zverev vs Vesely - Dangerous qualifer for Zverev in R1.
Thiem vs Querrey - Very rough draw for Thiem. Could see Querrey winning that for sure.
Shapovalov vs Berankis - Nice draw for Denis to hopefully get some confidence.

Potential Nadal vs Kyrgios in R2.

Djokovic-Anderson top half
Federer-Nadal bottom half

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
We have our draw...

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS

First round highlights:

Djokovic vs Kohlschreiber - should make Nole work.
Auger-Aliassime vs Pospisil - why did they have to meet in the first round...my two favorite Canadian players :( and with Vasek just coming back off a long layoff. Looking at it objectively though for Felix, should be a good first round match. Can't expect much from Vasek at this point.
Raonic vs Gunneswaran - winnable opener for Milos to get going.
Zverev vs Vesely - Dangerous qualifer for Zverev in R1.
Thiem vs Querrey - Very rough draw for Thiem. Could see Querrey winning that for sure.
Shapovalov vs Berankis - Nice draw for Denis to hopefully get some confidence.

Potential Nadal vs Kyrgios in R2.

Djokovic-Anderson top half
Federer-Nadal bottom half
Nadal-Kyrgios round2 would be spicy. Nick is an enigma but he loves to beat Rafa and on grass he has a legitimate chance.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Nadal-Kyrgios round2 would be spicy. Nick is an enigma but he loves to beat Rafa and on grass he has a legitimate chance.
I'm already making popcorn for this potential match! He has no respect for Rafa just like Soderling all those years ago at the French. It should motivate Rafa but this isn't his best surface.

Reactions: Beau Knows

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The first round match that I want to see most is Ostapenko/Hsieh. In baseball terms, this would be like having a flamethrower going up against a knuckle ball pitcher.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Krygios has to get by Thompson first and there is no guarantee that happens.

Pretty good draw for Roger.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Krygios has to get by Thompson first and there is no guarantee that happens.

Pretty good draw for Roger.

Nadal wasn't thrilled about Wimbledon's seeding rules putting Federer as the 2nd seed. He's going to be even more annoyed now, his draw is quite tough.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Felix has Dimitrov and Monfils as potential second and third round matches before a potential match with Djokovic in the round of 16.

I hope he has no health issues. It's amazing to think that he's only played one GS match, and that's the one he withdrew due to heart issues against Shapovalov.

Felix is a tough break for Vasek as an opener, but, with Davis Cup, he's probably seen a lot of Felix, so he can prepare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->