Tennis: Wimbledon 2019

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Who the hell is Lloyd Harris and why is he up a set on Roger Federer?

Federer came out looking like he was expecting an easy win here - and maybe understandably so - but Harris came out hitting some bombs on his forehand while Roger has just been slicing everything back, waiting for Harris to make mistakes.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like the universe is returning to normal as Roger is currently dominating.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
What an exciting start to Wimby!

As someone stated earlier though, we may pay for it in the match ups next week. Realistically, FAA should make it to the 4th round where he gets Djokovic.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Berankis is lousy on grass, but then again, so is Shapo so far in his career.

4-all and other than "hit the ball harder than the other guy," it is hard to see what Denis' plan is. Of course, that might be enough against Berankis.

...or perhaps not as Denis is savaged in the breaker 7-0. My, my.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Osaka needs to play more on grass to improve her play on it. This is the 10th major played since Serena won her last one, the 2017 Aussie. Her first major win was the 1999 US Open. I'm glad Venus still plays, I just don't know if she has enough game anymore.

Querrey was awesome. I enjoy Kyrgios' theatrics. Nadal is up 4-3 in the first set.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sharapova retires from her match at 0-5 in the 3rd...never a good look.

But Parmentier enjoyed it...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bye, bye Shapo in straight ignominious sets and to a player who is now 4-14 lifetime on grass.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pretty disappointing for Denis. The hard courts may yield better results, but not enough to wipe away what seems to be a pretty hard funk. He's still young and has time to learn these lessons, but I hope it happens sooner than later.

Raonic and Felix are up second and third respectively on court 3 tomorrow, so probably starting at around 7:00 EST. They're the only Canadians left at this point.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Has Sharapova's braying gotten worse as she's aged? I just tried to watch a bit of her match but ended up fast forwarding it because she was so loud.

Denis needs to shake things up big time. I know people keep complaining about his mom and maybe that's his problem, maybe not. But he is going to tumble down the rankings pretty quick if he doesn't get it together.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm looking forward to Rafa/Kyrgios and Serena/Murray mixed doubles. I think Serena and Querry both win their next match.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Denis needs to shake things up big time. I know people keep complaining about his mom and maybe that's his problem, maybe not. But he is going to tumble down the rankings pretty quick if he doesn't get it together.

I don't know what triggered the coaching change earlier this year, but, it hasn't had the impact and he's hopefully doing the introspection to figure out what he needs to be doing differently.

What's frustrating with his struggles is that of all the top tier Canadian tennis players right now, Denis has had the least amount of physical injuries. It seems like its all mental and developmental.

It can get a lot worse for him if these struggles ever get combined with some physical setbacks, like Felix, Raonic and Bianca have all had to deal with.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Shapo, Thiem, Zverev and Tsitsi out.

But but but The Big 3 winning is so booooooring. One of the youngsters needs to win. Must win. Deserrrrrves to win. We must put all of our rooting might behind this oh soooooo talented group.

LOL

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Wow, Opelka takes out Stan 8-6 in the 5th.

Opelka is basically all serve, but good result for him. Wimbledon isn't exactly a great slam for Stan but still...

Potential Raonic vs Opelka next round, which would be riveting (/s).

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Going into the 5th set, Karlovic (6'11) has 0 break point chances against 5'8 Fabbiano :laugh:

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Wow, Opelka takes out Stan 8-6 in the 5th. Opelka is basically all serve, but good result for him. Wimbledon isn't exactly a great slam for Stan but still...Potential Raonic vs Opelka next round, which would be riveting (/s).
Agreed. Opelka served well. Looking forward to his Raonic match.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Shapo, Thiem, Zverev and Tsitsi out.

But but but The Big 3 winning is so booooooring. One of the youngsters needs to win. Must win. Deserrrrrves to win. We must put all of our rooting might behind this oh soooooo talented group.

LOL

I haven't seen anyone say they deserve to win. They need to get their shit together and start winning. So far, they are mostly failing.

Reactions: Beau Knows

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Tsonga beat Tomic in 58 minutes today. Yes, 58 minutes in 3 sets :laugh:

Tomic won 9 return points all match.

That is absolutely insane. 3, 1 and 4, the points must have all been won on 2 shots.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Raonic receiving medical treatment...he's up 2 sets on Haase but we'll see how long he can go.

Raonic soldiers on and gets through in 3.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Raonic does what he does best, which is win close sets and tiebreakers against inferior opposition.

Having a medical timeout this early in the major does not portend well though.

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad