Tennis: Wimbledon 2019

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Man, what a day. Such fun and I haven't even got to Hsieh/Ostapenko yet.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
So FAA is the highest ranked player under the age of 23 left in the mens draw. His is still 18.

Thought that was a surprising stat as day 1 draws to a close. Then I saw that the highest ranked player under the age of 22 left in the women's draw is Anisimova who is not even 18.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gauff up an early break against Venus, 3-2. Looks pretty good, too.

And she calmly serves the set out, 6-4. Well, I'm impressed. Her parents look about 12 times more nervous than she does.

2nd set: And again Gauff gets the first break, 3-2. This has been too easy so far.

At 4-2, Gauff finally tightens and loses her serve behind a pair of double faults, 4-4...but she very calmly and patiently breaks right back and is serving for the match, 5-4. Man, this kid is composed.

Took her four match points to do it, but Gauff wins

What a debut!

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Down a quick 2-love, Ostapenko immediately becomes frustrated. Bad idea....or maybe not as Ostapenko breaks for 2-3 but then can't consolidate faced with several different kinds of junk-ball returns from Hsieh, 4-2.

And Hsieh wins the set on a very lucky let cord bounce, 6-2. Jelena definitely seems to lack the personality to cope with Hsieh's tactical wizardry. She's had a fine grass season so far, so maybe not all is lost yet.

5-2 as Ostapenko challenges several hawk eye calls to obviously no avail. What a brat.

Justice is served, 2 and 2.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a great opening day for Wimbledon. The hangover will come in the second week when we will wish some of these losers today were still around.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Zverev flames out again. Is there a more overrrated/overhyped player in recent times?
Dimitrov (who also flamed out to no surprise) is the only other one I can think of.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, you hear Zverev's the next great men's tennis player but he always ends up disappointing. Wonder how he does at the US Open.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Great chance for Felix to get to the round of 16 in his first Wimby, what with both Dimitrov and Monfils eliminated.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Dimitrov lost too? I just saw he went out in 5.

That was a surprise to me as well. When I last checked the score, he was up 2-0,and I assume he'd coast through comfortably.

It's amazing to see Zverev and Tsitsipas out so quickly. There are no easy matches at Wimbledon, but man, you really want to see these guys become legit threats, and these first round exits aren't helping.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
More and more, Felix looks like the biggest threat to the big 3, and in a short amount of time.

Reactions: Tuggy

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
More and more, Felix looks like the biggest threat to the big 3, and in a short amount of time.

Maybe, but I think the lesson needs to be to not get ahead of ourselves. The title of best NextGen player seems to be very volatile.

Felix is doing a lot of things right, but, with today being his first grand slam match victory, there's enough reason to be patient.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thompson and Krygios at a set apiece, though Jordan really dominated the second set. Krygios currently taking a medical time out for his left leg.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Thiem/Querrey underway. Another real tough first round matchup for a top seed.

Schnur/Baghdatis also going.

Bouchard and Shapovalov later.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The sometimes brilliant Krygios concentration level seems to waver with each passing breeze while Thompson is a player with no discernible weapons whatsoever. That being said, I kind of like Jordan to win the match at this point.

Nick in the process of losing it, as per usual, 4-5 in the third set....though Jordan showing some volatility as well...and hot and cold, sane and crazy Nick serves for the set, goes up 15-40 and then throws it all away with horrendous shot selection, including yet another failed attempt at an underarm serve. Breaker time.

...which goes to 12-10 Krygios who blew a 5-2 lead dicked around with some of the worst, or maybe whimsical is a better word, shot selection imaginable.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The sometimes brilliant Krygios concentration level seems to waver with each passing breeze while Thompson is a player with no discernible weapons whatsoever. That being said, I kind of like Jordan to win the match at this point.

Nick in the process of losing it, as per usual, 4-5 in the third set....though Jordan showing some volatility as well...and hot and cold, sane and crazy Nick serves for the set, goes up 15-40 and then throws it all away with horrendous shot selection, including yet another failed attempt at an underarm serve. Breaker time.

This is such a piss off. I really wanted to see him vs Rafa.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
These days it's not a question of which Nick do you get not from match to match but from point to point, with him changing from Jeykll to Hyde sometimes even during a point. It's entertaining in a way but mostly frustrating. Just get on with it, Nick. But he never does.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nick quickly behind 2-love in the fourth set. I wonder if he is consciously looking for a way to blow this.

....make that 5-love in 15 minutes.

6-love in the blink of an eye.

Which Nick shows up in the fifth set? No clue.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schnur loses in straight sets.

Genie drops the first set.

Thiem/Querrey at a set apiece.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kyrgios off to a 3-1 lead in the fifth set....and, paying attention, breezes to 6-1 and a date with Rafa.

For once, the set scores tell an accurate story all by themselves: 7-6, 3-6, 7-6, 0-6, 6-1.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Querrey wiping the floor with Thiem.

Really not shocking though on grass. Querrey is the superior player.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Thiem went from not facing a break point in the match to getting broken four consecutive times. Which, coincidentally, was the only possible way for my bet to lose at that point :laugh:

Was watching the Konta match, did Thiem pick up an injury? Or was it just a complete collapse?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem exits 6-love in the fourth. Thiem, Zverev and Tsitsipas, the 4th, 5th and 6th best players in the world and the designated poster boys of the Next Gen, fall by the wayside in the first round. Kind of funny and kind of embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00