Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe Nylander and Zaitsev plus to Nashville for Subban? Nashville maybe retains a bit and flips Z out of town. Zaitsev was a minus 3 in game two and then minus 3 again last night. They can’t afford to play him but have zero options. Dubai’s has known for 2 seasons they needed a RHD and went out and got another LHD. Bizarre.
Why would any team trade for Zaitsev when he is already a detriment to his team every single night and is still owed 22.5m over 5 years?

Would Edmonton even move Lucic for him at this point?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Why would any team trade for Zaitsev when he is already a detriment to his team every single night and is still owed 22.5m over 5 years?

My thought would be Nylander and Zaitsev salary almost match Subban. If Nashville retained some salary and
flipped Zaitsev then they save on the Cap, unload Subban and hope Nylander becomes a more engaged player.
Nylanders speed would mesh well with the Preds.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
My thought would be Nylander and Zaitsev salary almost match Subban. If Nashville retained some salary and
flipped Zaitsev then they save on the Cap, unload Subban and hope Nylander becomes a more engaged player.

Not sure you looked at Nashville's situation. They currently have $1.8 million in cap space, assume an $83 cap and that grows to $4.3ish. So this deal adds 2.4 million to the Preds cap, while weakening their D-core, they are then going to retain on Z - so add $1 million in retention and the Preds have $900,000 cap left to re-sign, and make other improvements to the team. I wouldn't make this deal if I was the Preds.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Step 1: trade Connor Brown, replace him with Bracco/Petan/anyone
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)
Step 3: trade one of Johnsson/Kapanen+ for a defenseman (Pesce)

Hyman 2.25 - Tavares 11 - Marner 10
Johnsson 2.5 - Matthews 11.6 - Nylander 7
Moore 0.775 - Kadri 4.5 - Bracco 0.85
Marleau 6.25 - Gauthier 0.675 - Petan 0.775
Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Rosen 0.75 - Welinski/Wideman 0.85
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

If this is how the Leafs handle their tight cap issues then kudos to you and the Leafs as this seems like a real win in a situation that could be a little bit difficult to navigate. I do have some doubts about a couple of your points, but I'm nothing more than a hockey fan so maybe I'm wrong, but here are my thoughts.

Trade Brown - No issue, given his contract and playing style I'd think that is an easy one. I wonder about replacing his style of play with Bracco or Petan, but this is very realistic.
Zaitsev - I don't think this will be as easy a move as you seem to. His cap hit is high but palatable, his term is not good and his recent regular season play might make him a more difficult trade than some think. I don't think he's untradeable, but I think it will take retention or more of a + than Brown).

I don't see Kap or Johnsson netting Pesce. If the Canes were considering 2 time 60+ point Nylander for Pesce I can't see them willing to take 40+ point Kap or Johnsson instead. Both Kap and Johnsson are good players and could get a decent player via trade, but Pesce might be too big of a target.

Marner at $10 might be a little light. I see him asking for MM money and don't think he'll settle for $10 (crazy to think $10million is settleing).

Not a huge deal, but you've listed 22 players in your cap breakdown, its common to have 23 roster spots - not necessary but its the norm.

Anyway, point still stands - not a criticism but Leafs front office will be working every angle this summer to maximize the little bit of cap space they have.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

He has been pretty good since he was paired with Muzzin once he got taken away from Gardiner.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Dubas is young and not very experienced GM, but Leafs usually overrate their prospects in consider salary/contract value - so I`m glad Rangers & Nucks is not part of the Nylander solution.

Agree with this. And I’m glad Toronto didn’t add Anaheim as an possible trade destination.

Toronto will be surprised on the value they will receive for Nylander. It won’t be much. Coming off a bad season and a bad playoff run. GMs will be taking on the risk of him repeating two seasons ago that he may never do again.

Reactions: Ori

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He's notgoing to be traded.

If he is, it most certainly isn't going to be this summer.

I agree with this as well. His value is at an all time low. Toronto won’t get anything significant until he has a bounce back season. Trading him now makes absolutely no sense.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Agree with this. And I’m glad Toronto didn’t add Anaheim as an possible trade destination.

Toronto will be surprised on the value they will receive for Nylander. It won’t be much. Coming off a bad season and a bad playoff run. GMs will be taking on the risk of him repeating two seasons ago that he may never do again.

You do realize we aren't trading him, so his value to the rest of the league doesn't matter? Lmao

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You do realize we aren't trading him, so his value to the rest of the league doesn't matter? Lmao

Which I already responded to in another post. Toronto would be foolish to trade him at this very moment when value is at all time low.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Lol.

You'll have to pay a team to take on Zaitsev, think Liljegren or Sandin. No one is taking that kind of contract on a bottom pairing D.

What a joke of a post this is.

Stick to the Hans because you don’t know jack-poo when it comes to the Leafs, but thanks for providing the laugh and point content. It will be handy to be bumped later....

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If we had the cap space, I'd think the Oilers would be desperate enough to bring Nylander in, but we'd need to find a taker for Lucic first, so that isn't likely. Can't see Dubas of all GM's wanting that boat anchor given the star power and contracts he is going to have to give out (Marner). Given the risk, I wouldn't offer a ton though, this is a grade A cap dump.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
EDM 8th overall straight up for Nylander… assuming EDM can figure out how to fit him under the cap.

No we wont add.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Byron is good, but overpaid.
Shaw is playing well, but overperforming.
Weber is breaking down infront of your eyes.

Whatever. Danault and Domi literally had a better year than Kadri. We have Kotkaniemi and Poehling to boot. Nylander can't do it on his own (as much as he'd love to try) and Zaitsev is pure garbage.

You're trying to fix something by breaking it even more. If you believe that we should trade Shaw while his value is at his highest, that's something to look into.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If he does get traded, I have a feeling that Leaf fans will be very disappointed with the return they get for Nylander

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

That is horribad for the Preds.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
EDM 8th overall straight up for Nylander… assuming EDM can figure out how to fit him under the cap.

No we wont add.

Sold.

But he has a huge bonus due July 1st which is about a week after the draft, doubt Edm (or most others) want to pay that. Nylander becomes more attractive after that payment is made as he'll roughly have a 5m real salary but 7ish cap hit.

Reactions: Chabot84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad