Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Nylander would have to be a complete regular season and playoff bust next year in order to pull the plug on that.

Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To be honest, I think he's looked serviceable lately. If we go on a lengthy playoff run and Zaitsev hits the next level, I'd slow the roll on moving him.

But Marleau has to go.

Zaitsev HAS to go, I don't see them trading Nylander, because he's a young talented player and doing that would be stupid.

But they do need to sugn Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson so somebody has to go.

Now it COULD be Marleau and I do believe he's on the way out especially if he wins a cup.

Brown is likely out too.

But Zaitsev HAS to go he's the one that's got to move because he's the one with term.

Marleau and Brown have 1 year left that's not a big deal you can ride that out if you absolutely have too.

Zaitsev You can't he's got to go

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Whatever. Danault and Domi literally had a better year than Kadri.

Domi had a phenomenal year where he played on our 1st line the entire year.

Danault had the benefit of still playing Top 6, playing with two of the best 5on5 players in the NHL this season. His 53 points top his career high by 13, and he has only hit above 30 points once. He's good, but let's not pretend he's better than Kadri, who from the third line still managed 44 points.

We have Kotkaniemi and Poehling to boot.

Too many centers is a problem I am okay with having.

Nylander can't do it on his own (as much as he'd love to try

Huh, sounds like another talented winger we have. I wonder if putting them together would work?

Zaitsev is pure garbage.

As was Shaw and his contract for all but last season. As will Weber versus his contract be within the next 4 years. How about injury prone Byron?

You're trying to fix something by breaking it even more.

Debatable. The team gets more offensive depth, which we desperately need. We are an average at best team offensively, and adding two players; one who can score 30, and another who can put up 60 points, are both big adds to our roster.

It also opens us up to being able to move players out, rotate players to different positions when needed, and gives our roster a completely different element of depth. We're not talking players who are bums and wouldn't be improvements on this team. Kadri would instantly become a top 6C, and Nylander would be a top 6 RW. Zaitsev is NOT very good, I am completely in agreement; but we are dumping two bad contracts on them, we need to be taking one back.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Posted this on the leafs board and it was well received:

Severson for Nylander

Or

2019 2nd and 2020 1st (protected) for Kap

The Kapanen deal would seem more likely than the Nylander deal but both would be premature.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Domi had a phenomenal year where he played on our 1st line the entire year.

Danault had the benefit of still playing Top 6, playing with two of the best 5on5 players in the NHL this season. His 53 points top his career high by 13, and he has only hit above 30 points once. He's good, but let's not pretend he's better than Kadri, who from the third line still managed 44 points.

Too many centers is a problem I am okay with having.

Huh, sounds like another talented winger we have. I wonder if putting them together would work?

As was Shaw and his contract for all but last season. As will Weber versus his contract be within the next 4 years. How about injury prone Byron?

Debatable. The team gets more offensive depth, which we desperately need. We are an average at best team offensively, and adding two players; one who can score 30, and another who can put up 60 points, are both big adds to our roster.

It also opens us up to being able to move players out, rotate players to different positions when needed, and gives our roster a completely different element of depth. We're not talking players who are bums and wouldn't be improvements on this team. Kadri would instantly become a top 6C, and Nylander would be a top 6 RW. Zaitsev is NOT very good, I am completely in agreement; but we are dumping two bad contracts on them, we need to be taking one back.

Danault didn't have the benefit of anything. He shutdown top lines. He's also younger than Kadri who is starting to break down.

Yeah, another headcase. I hear he can play C too!

Shaw has a much stronger resume than Zaitsev. Weber had as many goals than Zaitsev had points this year - that's with missing a third of it. You're completely missing the picture here. Sorry, but Shaw and Byron don't have horrible deals.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Zaitsev is gone after the playoffs he HAS to be

I think they'll try but hes been good with Muzzin and been solid the last 20 games or so. Him being with Gardiner was an ugly experiment that lasted way too long but since being separated hes been pretty solid. If they can't find the right deal he would fine to be back if they can move money elsewhere.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Why does everyone misquote William Nylander's word as being Kyle Dubas' words?

Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas on what he told Nylander regarding a trade - Sportsnet.ca

Here is what Kyle Dubas said.....

“The discussion that William and I had had a couple of times was a fear of his … that he was being signed to be traded,” Dubas told Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports. “And my discussion with him, I just affirmed with him that that was not our intention whatsoever.
“Our intention was that as long as I was here that I saw him as a part of the Toronto Maple Leafs"

Maybe just a bit less committed than what’s out there (Dubas chose his words carefully – teams make decisions every now and then that they certainly never had any “intentions” of doing)

If people would just look at Willy's contract structure, it would be obvious that he is the guy getting traded. Just my opinion but it seems so obvious to me.

Unless I'm wrong, Willy gets $20.3 million of his salary once his signing bonus is paid out this summer, so if traded the team that get's him only has to actually pay $700k next season and then $6m the remaining 4 years after. So that's $24.7m over 5 years, which is $4.95m per season in actual dollars. But with a $6.96m cap hit.

That's appetizing for a team that doesn't spend to the cap no?

So any budget team needing a center, which is what Willy wants to be, is getting a pretty good deal.

Just saying. Maybe I'm wrong but it's always seemed like such an interesting contract with the really heavy signing bonuses up front and how much he got this year even though he sat out nearly half of it.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If people would just look at Willy's contract structure, it would be obvious that he is the guy getting traded. Just my opinion but it seems so obvious to me.

Unless I'm wrong, Willy gets $20.3 million of his salary once his signing bonus is paid out this summer, so if traded the team that get's him only has to actually pay $700k next season and then $6m the remaining 4 years after. So that's $24.7m over 5 years, which is $4.95m per season in actual dollars. But with a $6.96m cap hit.

That's appetizing for a team that doesn't spend to the cap no?

So any budget team needing a center, which is what Willy wants to be, is getting a pretty good deal.

Just saying. Maybe I'm wrong but it's always seemed like such an interesting contract with the really heavy signing bonuses up front and how much he got this year even though he sat out nearly half of it.
12th oa for willy. we freed up enough cap space to sign him

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Zaitsev HAS to go, I don't see them trading Nylander, because he's a young talented player and doing that would be stupid.

But they do need to sugn Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson so somebody has to go.

Now it COULD be Marleau and I do believe he's on the way out especially if he wins a cup.

Brown is likely out too.

But Zaitsev HAS to go he's the one that's got to move because he's the one with term.

Marleau and Brown have 1 year left that's not a big deal you can ride that out if you absolutely have too.

Zaitsev You can't he's got to go

Of course Zaitsev has to go, but that doesn’t mean someone is willing to pick him up. I mean, Alzner “has to go” too.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Step 1: trade Connor Brown, replace him with Bracco/Petan/anyone
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)
Step 3: trade one of Johnsson/Kapanen+ for a defenseman (Pesce)

Hyman 2.25 - Tavares 11 - Marner 10
Johnsson 2.5 - Matthews 11.6 - Nylander 7
Moore 0.775 - Kadri 4.5 - Bracco 0.85
Marleau 6.25 - Gauthier 0.675 - Petan 0.775
Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Rosen 0.75 - Welinski/Wideman 0.85
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

A couple of observations.

You traded Brown twice in your proposal, the first time in Step 1, and then again potentially in Step 2. Zaitsev isn't as bad as some make out, but I think his term would given plenty of GMs a concern. So that might be easy to say, but much harder to execute, at least without further implications or impact on the Leafs.

The second concern is with the infamous "+". IMHO, Canes are not trading Pesce for Kapanen or Johnsson as they have players in their own system that could be about the same level. They have other alternatives (i.e., the seem to have done well with the Niederreiter trade). But, even if they were interested, the + is going to have to be something decent. We've already been down the trail of trading 2nd round picks, and more recently (Muzzin trade), traded a 1st rounder along with some decent prospects.

In summary, there's always consequences to all actions. In this case, its going to become increasingly hard for us to plug low cost ELCs into empty roster spots if we keep trading our prospects and high picks away. I remember a fair amount of rather frivolous talk about how simple and easy it was going to be keep a steady, flow of high quality ELCs to fill roster holes like no other team had ever thought about this strategy. It looks a lot more difficult to me to do this in practice than talk about it as a concept and evidence of this is materializing already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad