Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

Mar 14, 2015
Chiarelli is not there anymore, zero chance Oilers offer the 8th pick, for a player that is scores at a similar rate as Milan Lucic, makes a million more and has a contract that runs 3yrs longer.'

Not to mention, during the playoffs Nylander is the worst player on the ice, every shift, no matter where he plays in the lineup.

Hard pass on this player.
:laugh:

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Yeah no guarantee he is the right choice if we trade the 8th overall.. id have to see all options.. but I do think Nylander would have a great carreer in Edmonton's top 6.. might even click with Mcdavid. No reward without risk that's for sure. I'm just of the mindset that EDM already has the pieces it needs from the draft.. Im all for making the pick at #8 but I WOULD RATHER trade it for help NOW and start making the playoffs. As you can see you don't have to be the number 1 seed to do damage in the playoffs.

I agree, I would trade the 8th pick for the right player. Nylander is not that guy. Nylander is not getting you into the playoffs. Hrudy called Nylander "awful" just a week ago, I do agree, no more reclamation projects in Edmonton. We need good players.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I agree, I would trade the 8th pick for the right player. Nylander is not that guy. Nylander is not getting you into the playoffs. Hrudy called Nylander "awful" just a week ago, I do agree, no more reclamation projects in Edmonton. We need good players.

Yeah.. hopefully EDM gets some immediate help. Its fine we can disagree on the evaluation of Nylander that's not a big deal.. point is I'm just glad more and more people are realizing its time to start trading our futures if the right scenarios come up. Everyone has a bad taste in their mouth because we made some horrible trades.. HORRIBLE. Like nightmare trades... but that guy is gone now and we need some help in the top 6 right now! There is no excuse to not make the playoffs next year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nylander is a core player and is not going anywhere.

Zaitsev is a good, useful RHD and I very much doubt that the Leafs would move him either.

I've noticed that Babcock has Zaitsev and Muzzin playing heavy minutes along with the Tavares line against the Bergeron line, and it's working pretty well so far. That kind of assignment and outcome does not in any way suggest a lack of confidence on Zaitsev, nor any desire to trade him.

Those who are still slagging Zaitsev might try to watch a few games.

rotiman187

Nov 3, 2018
Leafs shouldn't expect too much for Nylander with that contract he has. Dudes a liability every other shift he's on the ice.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
I don't think Leafs trade him this offseason. My bet is they will leave him unprotected in next years expansion draft, add a small sweetner, like a draft pick or a prospect and he will end up in Seattle.

As bad of a contract as he has, he's still young and I could see a team like Seattle taking him on.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs front loaded his contract. Cap is $7M @ 6 years, but paid $12M this season and $9M next. He earns a reasonable $6M for the last 4 years.

There is little value right now, but maybe at the TDL next season when his salary drops? Leafs should wait if they want to trade him.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

What a stupid post hey? Haha I’m an Oiler fan and if you could get Nylander for the 8th you definitely pull the trigger on it. You hope that 8th does what Nylander can do. Obviously Edmonton would need to cut some cash though also in a deal, with or without Toronto

I would be shocked if Dubas goes back on his word with Nylander though. More likely a combination or one of, Brown, Kadri would be gone first

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
What a stupid post hey? Haha I’m an Oiler fan and if you could get Nylander for the 8th you definitely pull the trigger on it. You hope that 8th does what Nylander can do. Obviously Edmonton would need to cut some cash though also in a deal, with or without Toronto

I would be shocked if Dubas goes back on his word with Nylander though. More likely a combination or one of, Brown, Kadri would be gone first

If Toronto truly looking to move him.. then I think the 8th gets it done especially if no cap coming back to Toronto.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
No its okay let them trade Nylander.. if I'm Edmonton Im offering 8th overall pick (will not add to this unless im adding cap) straight up for him.. IF I can figure out a way to get him under the cap without losing too many assets.

Toronto might be better off with a cheaper rookie taking his place and 8th overall will have a similar ceiling.

It starts to fix our top 6:

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - plug
Nylander - RNH - plug
I'll politely disagree this isn't a deep draft and 8th overall is a gamble. Rather gamble on Nylander becoming a 70-80 point player, much safer bet.

Draft picks and scratch tickets...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leafs front loaded his contract. Cap is $7M @ 6 years, but paid $12M this season and $9M next. He earns a reasonable $6M for the last 4 years.

There is little value right now, but maybe at the TDL next season when his salary drops? Leafs should wait if they want to trade him.

His salary drops on July 1st. His salary for next year is essentially league min. The rest of that 9 is in signing bonus. After July 1st he's got about 24.7 cash for 5 years.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I'll politely disagree this isn't a deep draft and 8th overall is a gamble. Rather gamble on Nylander becoming a 70-80 point player, much safer bet.

Draft picks and scratch tickets...

That’s why I’m willing to trade the 8th overall for Nylander.

Reactions: 4chandler

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
I was thinking about this and the Leafs would be wise to adjust their salary structure by offloading Nylander and ideally could use a defenceman in return. Secondarily, I had to think which teams had a surplus of defenceman and the cap room to make this work. I've come to the realization that the Nashville Predators make the most sense as it would allow John tavares and best bud P.k Subban to play together.

To Nashville: William Nylander
Connor Brown

To Toronto: P.K Subban
Grant Mismash
2nd round pick 2020

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Why would we consider 2 2nds for Kapanen for even a second? He's a first round pick that has done nothing but improve his value every year.

I mean, that's a better return than they'd get from a $4m offer sheet. That might add to the consideration

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Step 1: trade Connor Brown, replace him with Bracco/Petan/anyone
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)
Step 3: trade one of Johnsson/Kapanen+ for a defenseman (Pesce)

Hyman 2.25 - Tavares 11 - Marner 10
Johnsson 2.5 - Matthews 11.6 - Nylander 7
Moore 0.775 - Kadri 4.5 - Bracco 0.85
Marleau 6.25 - Gauthier 0.675 - Petan 0.775
Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Rosen 0.75 - Welinski/Wideman 0.85
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

Lol good luck with that one. Canes wouldn't move Pesce for Nylander, they don't even entertain him for Kap or Johnsson.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think he’d be the perfect acquisition for Arizona. He was linemates with Schmaltz and Dvorak way back in the day in Chicago and they’re good friends. After his next signing bonus is paid, he’ll have an annual salary way, way lower than his cap-hit (which is always a huge bonus for AZ). He has also got that W/C optionality that John Chayka loves so much. He’s an advanced stats darling, which is again right up Chayka’s alley.

The Coyotes are in desperate need of offense and are in a position to ignore some other issues. He’s a RHS, which the Coyotes need. He’s in the right age group.

Trade couldn’t happen until after the next signing bonus payment.

I’d be willing to start the deal with an unprotected 1st round pick in the next draft. Rumors were Leafs were really high on POJ and might have taken him if Liljegren didn’t fall. He’d be another option.

Christian Fischer has upside, fell out of favor with Tocchet toward the end of the season. Was a healthy scratch, even. Could be a sweetener to either POJ or the ‘20 1st. Nick Merkley is a former 1st who could be an alternative to Fischer in such a deal.

Maybe one of Capobianco or Dineen or Westerlund, too?

I don’t know. I’m not sure what the fit is. I could see a deal potentially sometime in July, though.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
I think he’d be the perfect acquisition for Arizona. He was linemates with Schmaltz and Dvorak way back in the day in Chicago and they’re good friends. After his next signing bonus is paid, he’ll have an annual salary way, way lower than his cap-hit (which is always a huge bonus for AZ). He has also got that W/C optionality that John Chayka loves so much. He’s an advanced stats darling, which is again right up Chayka’s alley.

The Coyotes are in desperate need of offense and are in a position to ignore some other issues. He’s a RHS, which the Coyotes need. He’s in the right age group.

Trade couldn’t happen until after the next signing bonus payment.

I’d be willing to start the deal with an unprotected 1st round pick in the next draft. Rumors were Leafs were really high on POJ and might have taken him if Liljegren didn’t fall. He’d be another option.

Christian Fischer has upside, fell out of favor with Tocchet toward the end of the season. Was a healthy scratch, even. Could be a sweetener to either POJ or the ‘20 1st. Nick Merkley is a former 1st who could be an alternative to Fischer in such a deal.

Maybe one of Capobianco or Dineen or Westerlund, too?

I don’t know. I’m not sure what the fit is. I could see a deal potentially sometime in July, though.

Wait what ?? Are we talking about Nylander still ? Lol

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
If the leafs trade Nylander for anything other then fair value they will regret it for years. He's played well at C all year when he's played. Nylander has also been physically engaged in these playoffs which actually shocked me. Point is the kid still has a lot of growth left in his game and could still easily become a ppg winger or a 65 to 70 point center. Many other leafs should hit the trade block before Nylander.

Reactions: Menzinger

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

supposedly he was cool with a couple of locations, including NYR. So the promise may be not to just ship him out anywhere, as opposed to not at all.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Lol good luck with that one. Canes wouldn't move Pesce for Nylander, they don't even entertain him for Kap or Johnsson.
Is there any evidence to prove that Carolina wouldn’t move pesce for nylander? I don’t think Toronto’s management team would have moved Nylander for Pesce either. It would have been Pesce+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad