Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
So let me roleplay as the GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

I call up Dubas, and I offer him Man Mountain at 7m (857k retained), Paul Byron (3.4m) and Andrew Shaw (3.9m) as well as our 15th overall pick, and our 2020 2nd

In return, we take Nylander (7m), Kadri (4.5m), Zaitsev (4.5m) and the last year of the Horton (5.3m) deal.

The Leafs free up 7m in cap space, while improving defensively. They resign Marner, and have cap space to look at another player if they really wanted to (Panarin or Skinner to improve the left side, maybe?)

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Johnsson/Matthews/Kapanen
Marleau/Shaw/Byron (look at Shaw's faceoff % since coming to Montreal if you need any evidence he can play the position)
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

If Leafs aren't interested; I'd just offer sheet Marner 13 x 7 and see what happens.

SMH

Reactions: sansabri

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
Sorry, any guy who doesn't understand LTIR. Horton doesn't hurt the Leaf cap at all. So that trade you suggest saves the Leafs just 1.5m in cap.

13m for Marner. Leafs don't match and they have 10m to spend on other players plus 4 first rounders. which might include lottery picks.
So the Habs would have 31m in three players. Now Domi is at risk of being offered and lost next season.

Marner is worth too much on the market to be able to offer sheet. A player in the 9.5 range is a better target because it's only 1 first round pick. For some perspective, would you accept Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Sergachev and Juulsen for Marner? I know the picks could turn out worse, but could also conceivably turn out better. Habs could end up building the leafs' system for the next 4 years. Too much risk, even if Marner is awesome. Also, the only way to win is by having good players on cheap ELCs, so the Habs would have no way to balance their high salaries.

Reactions: Taylorst

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

I call up Dubas, and I offer him Man Mountain at 7m (857k retained), Paul Byron (3.4m) and Andrew Shaw (3.9m) as well as our 15th overall pick, and our 2020 2nd

In return, we take Nylander (7m), Kadri (4.5m), Zaitsev (4.5m) and the last year of the Horton (5.3m) deal.

The Leafs free up 7m in cap space, while improving defensively. They resign Marner, and have cap space to look at another player if they really wanted to (Panarin or Skinner to improve the left side, maybe?)

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Marleau/Shaw/Byron (look at Shaw's faceoff % since coming to Montreal if you need any evidence he can play the position)
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

If Leafs aren't interested; I'd just offer sheet Marner 13 x 7 and see what happens.

You just destroyed the Habs.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

I prefer roleplay when there's an element of believability.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't think Leaf fans would be happy with what they could get for him. He's a soft perimeter player, so he'll probably never do much damage in the playoffs, and he's coming off a pretty awful regular season carrying ~$7M price tag. Plus, everyone knows the Leafs are up against it with the cap, and I can't imagine other GMs jumping to do them any favors. He obviously has value, but I doubt it's as much as Leaf fans would like to believe. The time to move him was last summer.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Islanders have capspace and if on July 2nd they are empty handed I might look into something like Wahlstrom, Mayfield(cheap caphit RHD) and one of Dal Colle or Ho Sang. I would throw in the option of Zaitsev for Hickey if Leafs wanted the extra capspace

I am not the biggest fan of Nylander or his contract but Islanders do need talent upfront

Reactions: 4thline

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I think if the leafs want to resign all 3 of Marner , Johnsson , Kapanen then Nylander is the odd man out.

I love them both but Johnsson and Kapanen are the odd men out before Nylander. If push comes to shove (although I don't think it will) I think it's Kapanen since we're much stronger on the right side than the left.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

Except we don't actually save $7m in cap space since Horton will be on LTIR. We save $1.7m in cap space while taking on a defenseman who will be making $7m until he's 41 and maybe, maybe, has 1 or 2 good years left. This is brutal.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Dubas would much rather move Kadri and shift Nylander to 3rd line C. He's not going to move a 22 year old 60 point player.

Kadri for Pesce or something

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
[QUOTE="IGGY2JOHNNY, post: 159783779, member: 302093" I think if the leafs want to resign all 3 of Marner , Johnsson , Kapanen then Nylander is the odd man out.

The leafs would no doubt try to get back defense in any deal to replace Gardiner and such.

Opinions ?? What else do the leafs do to get out of cap hell and resign Marner and company for next season ?
[/QUOTE]

I think our cap problems are sometimes underestimated. I'm not seeing a way of signing Marner + Johnsson + Kapanen unless there are some serious cuts made elsewhere.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

What is not included in the above are the RFAs and UFAs that we have.

UFAs - Gardiner & Hainsey are the significant UFAs. I'm assuming that Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis will be let go.
RFAs - Marner, Johnsson, Ozhiganov, Kapanen

If we sign Marner at let's say $10 m, that gives us $2.5 m to sign a defender. Could be Hainsey if he's willing to take a $500k pay cut, or another UFA defender at $2.5 m/year.

All of the rest (players identified in blue font) would have to exit, and we would play with a 21 man roster versus the more customary 23 players.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I love them both but Johnsson and Kapanen are the odd men out before Nylander. If push comes to shove (although I don't think it will) I think it's Kapanen since we're much stronger on the right side than the left.
Canucks would also be interested Johnsson and/or kapanen.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Marner is worth too much on the market to be able to offer sheet. A player in the 9.5 range is a better target because it's only 1 first round pick. For some perspective, would you accept Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Sergachev and Juulsen for Marner? I know the picks could turn out worse, but could also conceivably turn out better. Habs could end up building the leafs' system for the next 4 years. Too much risk, even if Marner is awesome. Also, the only way to win is by having good players on cheap ELCs, so the Habs would have no way to balance their high salaries.

The compensation for AAV. for about 8.5m to 10.5m is two first, a second and a third.. And that on a five year contract, if signed for seven, the it go go to four firsts. So it almost encourages a team to go "all in" on a best RFAs.
The only reason a team would really make such an offer is if they assume, they wouldn't be a lottery team. My opinion 13m is too much for Marner, and the Leafs don't/can't match.
Folks sometime forget than once an offer sheet is accepted by a player, the team has 7 days to match. But also it gives both sides 7 days to work at a trade, which can be acceptable to both teams instead of the picks.
You're right about hight good players on cheap ELCs. Look at the Oilers, the best or second player in the league in McDavid and the very good Draistail, and they are cap strapped and likely won't make the playoff next year....again.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
[QUOTE="IGGY2JOHNNY, post: 159783779, member: 302093" I think if the leafs want to resign all 3 of Marner , Johnsson , Kapanen then Nylander is the odd man out.

The leafs would no doubt try to get back defense in any deal to replace Gardiner and such.

Opinions ?? What else do the leafs do to get out of cap hell and resign Marner and company for next season ?

I think our cap problems are sometimes underestimated. I'm not seeing a way of signing Marner + Johnsson + Kapanen unless there are some serious cuts made elsewhere.

The Leafs can sign all their RFAs the summer. It's just they won't be able to retain everyone. If Marleau stays, I figure it's about 7m in cap space this has to move. And as you suggest, I think it's Nylander that goes. Leafs have wingers to take his place. Trades aren't easy when no money is returned....so the trade would be pick/prospects. IMO the return is going to very low.....maybe a second rounder would be the best offer. But that's part of the cost of having high priced "stars" and also signing Tavares for free.
PS. It is no really cap hell when you are able to trade players and be cap compliant. Cap hell is when you have give up big sweetener in a trade, having to buyout players or have lot of retained money on traded players.....that's cap hell.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Teams with the cap and need that I could see making sense is Buffalo (something around Ristolainen ?) Carolina (Pesce) Minnesota (Dumba) New Jersey (Severson)

No thanks.

Kadri for Pesce or something

No way.

Canes will keep Pesce unless a stupid overpayment is made, and neither of these would qualify as that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Leaf fans would be happy with what they could get for him. He's a soft perimeter player, so he'll probably never do much damage in the playoffs, and he's coming off a pretty awful regular season carrying ~$7M price tag. Plus, everyone knows the Leafs are up against it with the cap, and I can't imagine other GMs jumping to do them any favors. He obviously has value, but I doubt it's as much as Leaf fans would like to believe. The time to move him was last summer.
I agree as of now, but if he goes on a goal scoring streak, leading the Leafs to a deep playoff run, then all that goes out the window. Playoffs magnify everything, both good and bad.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I don't see any way that he gets dealt right after signing a long term deal, especially with how he has played since signing.

Also, if I'm the Canucks, I'm not giving up the assets to acquire him and his salary. I'd way rather go after a UFA like William Karlsson, Nyquist, Brock Nelson, Anders Lee who have similar production, will be cheaper (probably), and won't cost an asset(s) to acquire.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If Nylander wanted an assurance that he wouldn't be traded he should have gotten a NTC. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

The Leafs can sign all their RFAs the summer. It's just they won't be able to retain everyone. If Marleau stays, I figure it's about 7m in cap space this has to move. And as you suggest, I think it's Nylander that goes. Leafs have wingers to take his place. Trades aren't easy when no money is returned....so the trade would be pick/prospects. IMO the return is going to very low.....maybe a second rounder would be the best offer. But that's part of the cost of having high priced "stars" and also signing Tavares for free.
PS. It is no really cap hell when you are able to trade players and be cap compliant. Cap hell is when you have give up big sweetener in a trade, having to buyout players or have lot of retained money on traded players.....that's cap hell.
I proposed Jordan Greenway (916,000 cap hit, and with team control for another 3 years.) for Mylander, straight up. Sounds crazy, if you just look at boxscores, but maybe not so crazy the closer you look at it. Would solve some problems for the Leafs, both on the ice, and cap wise. His deal would take them through Marleau's, solving that problem, and he would also give them a physical presence and net front/board skills that would stand them in good stead during the playoffs. I'm sure that Marner and JT would be able to figure how to use him, and make use of the extra room his skills would provide.

Still have to solve the RHD problem, but maybe Liljegren will come through for them next year.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Everybody over rated their prospects. Don’t kid yourself. Why are the rangers and canucks not part of the solution. He would be perfect for a rebuilding team.

Because we would not part with what you would want. And this UFA summer for forwards is gonna be absolutely bonkers.

Duchene, Panarin, Dzingel, Stone, Skinner, Eberle etc

Along with old Rangers players like Zuccarello, Hayes, Hagelin and Brassard that could possibly bring some dept alongside leadership.

Even as a fellow Swede, i dont think William is worth his contract, and i would not like if Rangers parted with any future picks or prospects.

If you grab Mark Staal, Brendan Smith and Belesky i would consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad