Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We were discussing something around Nylander and the 11th overall pick on the Flyers board.

Is that too much for Nylander? Not enough?

His ability to play C and RW is a good fit for the Flyers at the moment.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yea, I would trade him for mid first rounder too. Just don't know if such an offer would be forthcoming. Teams could spend 7m in UFAs...and keep their pick instead of trading for Nylander.

Correct. All teams have alternatives and our players are not the only decent option available.

And the idea that trading Nylander as our silver bullet isn't the all encompassing solution that some folks are ostensibly suggesting. Posts #151 & #74 address this issue. I think we (some people) are glossing over and minimizing our cap situation and its impact to some extent.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Step 1: trade Connor Brown, replace him with Bracco/Petan/anyone
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)
Step 3: trade one of Johnsson/Kapanen+ for a defenseman (Pesce)

Hyman 2.25 - Tavares 11 - Marner 10
Johnsson 2.5 - Matthews 11.6 - Nylander 7
Moore 0.775 - Kadri 4.5 - Bracco 0.85
Marleau 6.25 - Gauthier 0.675 - Petan 0.775
Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Rosen 0.75 - Welinski/Wideman 0.85
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

Nice work. I think this is pretty reasonable. I don't think you are going to get a guy of Pesce's calibre, but maybe a tier below.

With that said, this is a pretty big downgrade from this years Leafs team. Teams with 9 ELC's typically don't do to well. This is a very top heavy lineup with very little depth. I think its safe to assume that at least 4 of your guys on ELCs do not come close to expectation/what they have done in the AHL. If that happens, I see this roster as a wild card level team. Not every prospect turns out, and most of these prospects have little to no NHL experience.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Step 1: trade Connor Brown, replace him with Bracco/Petan/anyone
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)
Step 3: trade one of Johnsson/Kapanen+ for a defenseman (Pesce)

Hyman 2.25 - Tavares 11 - Marner 10
Johnsson 2.5 - Matthews 11.6 - Nylander 7
Moore 0.775 - Kadri 4.5 - Bracco 0.85
Marleau 6.25 - Gauthier 0.675 - Petan 0.775
Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Rosen 0.75 - Welinski/Wideman 0.85
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

What about horton?

jphmdpm vpi;d get OS or file arbitration and get more than that.

Pesce would cost more than just Kapanen.

On another thread someone though they could trade him for a 1 and a 2...not happening. a team could just OS him for a max contract for 4 yrs that only costs a 2nd in comp.

You need to trade Marner or Nylander for defense.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Crazy idea, keep and continue to develop Nylander, no one is defending his season or his contract if judged in the vacuum of this season but I would challenge other fanbases to be honest and say if you had a rookie that posted back to back 61 point seasons and is good on possession and has the potential to eventually shift to center you'd probably be forgiving of a growing pain season.

Nylander's development remind me of a higher end Kadri it may take some patience but I don't see him regressing or having hit near his ceiling.

7 million is the new 5 million with elite players getting 11 million, inflation.

As for getting another blueliner in Toronto, Leafs will be infinitely better with Hainsey and God willing Zaitsev gone. This team is fixed to build a blueline around an emerging/ed Rielly.

So I've made some excuses for Nylander but I feel there all reasonable.

I think a thought experiment that would improve discourse on this site would be asking yourself 'how might I judge this talent if he was on my team'

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Difference is Zaitsev is decent just overpaid .

Alzner is both bad and overpaid

That’s up for debate. Zaitsev would probably be in the minor too if he was a Habs. The only difference is Montreal’s right side D is more stacked and better than Toronto’s

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
Wouldn't you rather keep the 1st and see what Poehling and Suzuki can do?

I would be looking to speed up our winning window given that Price and Weber are aging and to play Nylander at RW. Then we would have many players that could play center in a pinch but are actually wingers, which is a nice luxury I think. How long will it take for that 15th overall pick to make an impact in the NHL? I would also be curious to see who is available before trading the pick though.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Difference is Zaitsev is decent just overpaid .

Alzner is both bad and overpaid

Zaistev has been terrible for 2 years now.

Habs have the cap space to burry Alzner in the AHL until the end of his contract w/out a problem.

Leafs do not have the cap space

Therefore, they are trading from a posiiton of weakness where the other GM has the upperhand.

Thinking you'll not have to let go one of Liljegren or Sandin w/ Zaitsev to get rid of his contract is completely dellusionnal

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The Islanders have capspace and if on July 2nd they are empty handed I might look into something like Wahlstrom, Mayfield(cheap caphit RHD) and one of Dal Colle or Ho Sang. I would throw in the option of Zaitsev for Hickey if Leafs wanted the extra capspace

I am not the biggest fan of Nylander or his contract but Islanders do need talent upfront

The many problems or risk with Nylander is he sat out in order to get a raise, returned in not the best shape and then put up mediocre numbers .

If the leafs decide to move him , the team acquiring him should not be willing to bet the farm on a player who had more ? To his play, performance then answers, his cap hit also as much as people may believe it's reasonably cheap, Nylander seems more like a 4.5 million player than a 6 million plus,

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I would be looking to speed up our winning window given that Price and Weber are aging and to play Nylander at RW. Then we would have many players that could play center in a pinch but are actually wingers, which is a nice luxury I think. How long will it take for that 15th overall pick to make an impact in the NHL? I would also be curious to see who is available before trading the pick though.

Montreal is not nowhere near ready to be a true bona fide cup contender.

The team in itself won't go from not making the playoffs to winning a cup. Price is like Lundquist overly hyped , but fails to rise to the occasion during the playoffs.

Why Montreal gave price that kind of salary is beyond ridiculous for a guy who hasn't won a cup,

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Islanders have capspace and if on July 2nd they are empty handed I might look into something like Wahlstrom, Mayfield(cheap caphit RHD) and one of Dal Colle or Ho Sang. I would throw in the option of Zaitsev for Hickey if Leafs wanted the extra capspace

I am not the biggest fan of Nylander or his contract but Islanders do need talent upfront

Kudos on a good win/win trade. That with Dal Colle would be interesting.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I would say if he can be a Consistent 60 point player that is worth 6M+. I would be willing to take my chances he would get 55+

That's my point , it's the uncertainty. To many times we've seen players breakout just in time for their next contract and it seems once they secure that big payday , their level of play drops off in more cases than not.

Example toews and Kane both got rewarded and toews in his 8 year new contract year 4 finally has a year that great year , but the 3nyears prior he definitely wasn't earning his new salary.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
@dellzor

Based on this thread, beating the hypothetical Islander package of
Mayfield (defensive 4RHD signed dirt cheap,
Wahlstrom (Top prospect),
Dal Colle (low cost roster depth with upside)

So from NJ this would probably be Santini + Boqvist + McLeod.

I'll pass for now because I think Boqvist can become a 50+ point player.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Thinking you'll not have to let go one of Liljegren or Sandin w/ Zaitsev to get rid of his contract is completely dellusionnal

RHD are the most valuable commodity in hockey right now. Sure Zaitsev is overpaid, but he isnt bad. He may look terrible because Babcock is using him as a #1 shutdown D starting more in the Dzone than most D in the league. In a role better suited for him, or in a pairing where he can share defensive load (e.g. Muzzin has done wonders here), he looks so much better.

Look at what #4 FA D got last year:

Ian Cole (LD) - 3x4.25 mill
Nick Hjalmarsson (RD) - 2 x 5mill
Calvin De Haan (LD) - 4 x 4.55 mill

And while term is obviously shorter, Zaitsev has 5 years left on his deal so its not significantly more term and expires at a similar age to those guys.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Crazy idea, keep and continue to develop Nylander, no one is defending his season or his contract if judged in the vacuum of this season but I would challenge other fanbases to be honest and say if you had a rookie that posted back to back 61 point seasons and is good on possession and has the potential to eventually shift to center you'd probably be forgiving of a growing pain season.

Nylander's development remind me of a higher end Kadri it may take some patience but I don't see him regressing or having hit near his ceiling.

7 million is the new 5 million with elite players getting 11 million, inflation.

As for getting another blueliner in Toronto, Leafs will be infinitely better with Hainsey and God willing Zaitsev gone. This team is fixed to build a blueline around an emerging/ed Rielly.

So I've made some excuses for Nylander but I feel there all reasonable.

I think a thought experiment that would improve discourse on this site would be asking yourself 'how might I judge this talent if he was on my team'

No its okay let them trade Nylander.. if I'm Edmonton Im offering 8th overall pick (will not add to this unless im adding cap) straight up for him.. IF I can figure out a way to get him under the cap without losing too many assets.

Toronto might be better off with a cheaper rookie taking his place and 8th overall will have a similar ceiling.

It starts to fix our top 6:

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - plug
Nylander - RNH - plug

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
No its okay let them trade Nylander.. if I'm Edmonton Im offering 8th overall pick (will not add to this unless im adding cap) straight up for him.. IF I can figure out a way to get him under the cap without losing too many assets.

Toronto might be better off with a cheaper rookie taking his place and 8th overall will have a similar ceiling.

Chiarelli is not there anymore, zero chance Oilers offer the 8th pick, for a player that is scores at a similar rate as Milan Lucic, makes a million more and has a contract that runs 3yrs longer.'

Not to mention, during the playoffs Nylander is the worst player on the ice, every shift, no matter where he plays in the lineup.

Hard pass on this player.

Reactions: JetsHomer

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
We are keeping Nylander. He's been single handedly carrying our third line and has out played Boston's third line. I hope we have some sort of handshake deal with Marleau. Move Zaitsev if we need the space.

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Chiarelli is not there anymore, zero chance Oilers offer the 8th pick, for a player that is scores at a similar rate as Milan Lucic, makes a million more and has a contract that runs 3yrs longer.'

Not to mention, during the playoffs Nylander is the worst player on the ice, every shift, no matter where he plays in the lineup.

Hard pass on this player.

Yeah no guarantee he is the right choice if we trade the 8th overall.. id have to see all options.. but I do think Nylander would have a great carreer in Edmonton's top 6.. might even click with Mcdavid. No reward without risk that's for sure. I'm just of the mindset that EDM already has the pieces it needs from the draft.. Im all for making the pick at #8 but I WOULD RATHER trade it for help NOW and start making the playoffs. As you can see you don't have to be the number 1 seed to do damage in the playoffs.

And that's NOT a chia comparable trade by the way. The 8th overall MAY end up better then Nylander but Nylander can play NOW. We are adding talent not subtracting. If we were subtracting talent by trading the 8th then yes I would agree with you. Nylander is also very young and be a part of the CORE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad