Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Because we would not part with what you would want. And this UFA summer for forwards is gonna be absolutely bonkers.

Duchene, Panarin, Dzingel, Stone, Skinner, Eberle etc

Along with old Rangers players like Zuccarello, Hayes, Hagelin and Brassard that could possibly bring some dept alongside leadership.

Even as a fellow Swede, i dont think William is worth his contract, and i would not like if Rangers parted with any future picks or prospects.

If you grab Mark Staal, Brendan Smith and Belesky i would consider it.
Stone is signed in Vegas btw

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I proposed Jordan Greenway (916,000 cap hit, and with team control for another 3 years.) for Mylander, straight up. Sounds crazy, if you just look at boxscores, but maybe not so crazy the closer you look at it. Would solve some problems for the Leafs, both on the ice, and cap wise. His deal would take them through Marleau's, solving that problem, and he would also give them a physical presence and net front/board skills that would stand them in good stead during the playoffs. I'm sure that Marner and JT would be able to figure how to use him, and make use of the extra room his skills would provide.

Still have to solve the RHD problem, but maybe Liljegren will come through for them next year.

Leafs should take that Greenway deal....not sure if Minni does though. Leafs have to worry about their cap this summer. And despite so many that worry about the Leafs RHD, it isn't really a big an issue as the cap. Liljegren isn't NHL ready IMO but Zaitsev and Dermot are playing on the right side currently. Now the third guys next year....is is Ozhiganov or someone else that can worked out when the cap is. IMO Nylander has a lot more to give and maybe a trade will wake him up. I'd train Nylander to play centre this summer. He might break out as a centre.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think our cap problems are sometimes underestimated. I'm not seeing a way of signing Marner + Johnsson + Kapanen unless there are some serious cuts made elsewhere.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

What is not included in the above are the RFAs and UFAs that we have.

UFAs - Gardiner & Hainsey are the significant UFAs. I'm assuming that Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis will be let go.
RFAs - Marner, Johnsson, Ozhiganov, Kapanen

If we sign Marner at let's say $10 m, that gives us $2.5 m to sign a defender. Could be Hainsey if he's willing to take a $500k pay cut, or another UFA defender at $2.5 m/year.

All of the rest (players identified in blue font) would have to exit, and we would play with a 21 man roster versus the more customary 23 players.

Step 1: trade Connor Brown, replace him with Bracco/Petan/anyone
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)
Step 3: trade one of Johnsson/Kapanen+ for a defenseman (Pesce)

Hyman 2.25 - Tavares 11 - Marner 10
Johnsson 2.5 - Matthews 11.6 - Nylander 7
Moore 0.775 - Kadri 4.5 - Bracco 0.85
Marleau 6.25 - Gauthier 0.675 - Petan 0.775
Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Rosen 0.75 - Welinski/Wideman 0.85
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nylander at under 5M in real dollars per season has a ton of value to teams to internal budget teams like the Canes, Devils, Avs or Coyotes and are all teams that he'd fill a big hole for.

Pesce isn't getting traded. There might have been a slim chance that he would have been moved for Nylander (probably Nylander +) immediately after he was signed, but not anymore. As most Canes fans and anybody who pays attention to Pesce's play, he's worth significantly more than Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, and especially Kadri. Dubas missed the boat on that one.

Despite all the speculation around a potential Nylander for Pesce trade and why it didn't happen, there's just as good a chance that Waddell told Dubas that he'd be adding to Nylander if he wanted Pesce. None of us really knows, but watching his play since the beginning of the year, he's a critical piece in the Hurricanes success. I doubt seriously that he goes anywhere....so for all of our sake, let's stop including him in these proposals....it hasn't and won't end well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Nylander at under 5M in real dollars per season has a ton of value to teams to internal budget teams like the Canes, Devils, Avs or Coyotes and are all teams that he'd fill a big hole for.

He would fill a hole, but in doing so, we’d create a bigger one. No thanks, not moving Pesce for him.

This only works if step 2 and a half is “get Waddell liquored up and take compromising pictures“.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
So let me roleplay as the GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

I call up Dubas, and I offer him Man Mountain at 7m (857k retained), Paul Byron (3.4m) and Andrew Shaw (3.9m) as well as our 15th overall pick, and our 2020 2nd

In return, we take Nylander (7m), Kadri (4.5m), Zaitsev (4.5m) and the last year of the Horton (5.3m) deal.

The Leafs free up 7m in cap space, while improving defensively. They resign Marner, and have cap space to look at another player if they really wanted to (Panarin or Skinner to improve the left side, maybe?)

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Johnsson/Matthews/Kapanen
Marleau/Shaw/Byron (look at Shaw's faceoff % since coming to Montreal if you need any evidence he can play the position)
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

If Leafs aren't interested; I'd just offer sheet Marner 13 x 7 and see what happens.

So... How's that good for Montreal?

We lsoe our #1D, a 20-30 goal Winger on a good deal, a gritty 3rd line that can chip 40pts+ and a top 15 pick

We get back an overpaid winger who's just as affaraid of boards as Drouin, 2 cap dumps and a 3C we do not need...

Yah no... We'll keep our picks, you can keep your trash. Kadri isn't better than anything we have in place at the moment.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Step 2: trade Nikita Zaitsev - he's having a good playoffs and a team may actually take him for nothing (include a pick or package him with Brown if necessary)

Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03
Can't imagine a team taking a flyer on Zaitsev after consecutive piss poor seasons. If he had way less term on his deal, then maybe, but it is more than unlikely that they'll be able to move him, even with a not-so-sweet sweetener like Connor Brown

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Marchment 0.77

Rielly 5 - Pesce 4
Muzzin 4 - Dermott 0.86
Holl 0.675

Andersen 5
Sparks 0.75

Kessel 1.2

=82.03

Lol.

You'll have to pay a team to take on Zaitsev, think Liljegren or Sandin. No one is taking that kind of contract on a bottom pairing D.

Same for Connor Brown. 2.5M$ a year for a 4th line PKer is NOT good asset management.

And lol @ Pesce for scraps and bottom 6 players. Why would the Canes do such a horrible trade?

Oh, and why would Marner settle for 10M, when his budyd just got 11 AND has been producing @ better pace?, doesn't make any sens for him.

Some Leafs fans are seriously dellusionnal

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
PS. It is no really cap hell when you are able to trade players and be cap compliant. Cap hell is when you have give up big sweetener in a trade, having to buyout players or have lot of retained money on traded players.....that's cap hell.

I did not mention cap hell. In fact, I showed (#38) a way that would result in us meeting cap. It requires player subtraction - that was the point.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
I think our cap problems are sometimes underestimated. I'm not seeing a way of signing Marner + Johnsson + Kapanen unless there are some serious cuts made elsewhere.

The Leafs can sign all their RFAs the summer. It's just they won't be able to retain everyone. If Marleau stays, I figure it's about 7m in cap space this has to move. And as you suggest, I think it's Nylander that goes. Leafs have wingers to take his place. Trades aren't easy when no money is returned....so the trade would be pick/prospects. IMO the return is going to very low.....maybe a second rounder would be the best offer. But that's part of the cost of having high priced "stars" and also signing Tavares for free.
PS. It is no really cap hell when you are able to trade players and be cap compliant. Cap hell is when you have give up big sweetener in a trade, having to buyout players or have lot of retained money on traded players.....that's cap hell.

I trade 15th overall for him easy

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Marner is worth too much on the market to be able to offer sheet. A player in the 9.5 range is a better target because it's only 1 first round pick. For some perspective, would you accept Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Sergachev and Juulsen for Marner? I know the picks could turn out worse, but could also conceivably turn out better. Habs could end up building the leafs' system for the next 4 years. Too much risk, even if Marner is awesome. Also, the only way to win is by having good players on cheap ELCs, so the Habs would have no way to balance their high salaries.

edit - the reference is to the four year period of drafting by Montreal as compensation. Shark with the correction.

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I think Tampa would cry foul that you traded one of their players in your deal......

(Unless there's a Segachev in Montreal I'm confusing with the one dealt for Drouin....)

He's not offering that trade, he's saying that hypothetically if Montreal offersheeted Marner and Toronto got 4 1st-rounders as compensation, those are an example of what you'd get from 4 straight 1st-rounders.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He's not offering that trade, he's saying that hypothetically if Montreal offersheeted Marner and Toronto got 4 1st-rounders as compensation, those are an example of what you'd get from 4 straight 1st-rounders.

Upon further review... Gotcha.

But as I see Kyle Dubas has posted that "Nylander isn't available" I guess it's all moot anyhow...

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
So... How's that good for Montreal?

We lsoe our #1D, a 20-30 goal Winger on a good deal, a gritty 3rd line that can chip 40pts+ and a top 15 pick

We get back an overpaid winger who's just as affaraid of boards as Drouin, 2 cap dumps and a 3C we do not need...

Yah no... We'll keep our picks, you can keep your trash. Kadri isn't better than anything we have in place at the moment.

I'm a Habs fan.

We add a dynamic 23 year old winger who has the potential to be a game breaking talent.

We add a gritty, cost controlled top 6C who is good at both ends of the ice and can score 30+ goals. Kadri would be undoubtedly our best center, and a Domi/Kadri/Gallagher line sounds like a horror for other teams.

We also get rid of Shea Weber's monstrous contract (It's fine now, but it will tail off hard and fast), and we get to move Shaw and Byron who are both overpaid for what they bring to a team (the former had a fantastic season but I doubt that is a recurring theme).

The Habs can go out and aggressively pursue Karlsson (12x7) as well as Gardiner (6x5) and then move Zaitsev literally anywhere for literally anything.

Drouin/Danault/Nylander
Domi/Kadri/Gallagher
Tatar/Kotkaniemi/Armia
Lehkonen/Poehling/X

Gardiner/Karlsson
Mete/Petry
Benn/Juulsen

Reactions: Julio Jones

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Maybe Nylander and Zaitsev plus to Nashville for Subban? Nashville maybe retains a bit and flips Z out of town. Zaitsev was a minus 3 in game two and then minus 3 again last night. They can’t afford to play him but have zero options. Dubai’s has known for 2 seasons they needed a RHD and went out and got another LHD. Bizarre.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Unless the scenario is Dubis fired just stop with the nylander talk. If or when that happens then discuss it.
Yes dad. Can we have our dessert now? Pretty dumb to come into a nylander trade proposal and not want to talk about it, don’t you think?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I'm a Habs fan.

We add a dynamic 23 year old winger who has the potential to be a game breaking talent.

We add a gritty, cost controlled top 6C who is good at both ends of the ice and can score 30+ goals. Kadri would be undoubtedly our best center, and a Domi/Kadri/Gallagher line sounds like a horror for other teams.

We also get rid of Shea Weber's monstrous contract (It's fine now, but it will tail off hard and fast), and we get to move Shaw and Byron who are both overpaid for what they bring to a team (the former had a fantastic season but I doubt that is a recurring theme).

The Habs can go out and aggressively pursue Karlsson (12x7) as well as Gardiner (6x5) and then move Zaitsev literally anywhere for literally anything.

Drouin/Danault/Nylander
Domi/Kadri/Gallagher
Tatar/Kotkaniemi/Armia
Lehkonen/Poehling/X

Gardiner/Karlsson
Mete/Petry
Benn/Juulsen

Plz stop being a Habs fan. This is embarrassing.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
Yea, I would trade him for mid first rounder too. Just don't know if such an offer would be forthcoming. Teams could spend 7m in UFAs...and keep their pick instead of trading for Nylander.

That was my other thought, would like to know if we could get Duchene but the draft is before July 1. I might still trade for Nylander, try to sign Duchene and trade Drouin for a LD.

Then this is the Habs future outlook, I think the cap would or at least could fit:

Domi – Duchene – Nylander
Tatar – Kotkaniemi – Gallagher
Byron – Danault – Suzuki
Lehkonen – Poehling – Shaw/Armia

(Drouin Trade) – Weber
Mete – Petry
Kulak/Romanov – Juulsen/Fleury/Brook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad