Value of: Willam Nylander trade scenarios

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
I know he was “promised” by Dubas that he wouldn’t be moved but moving his salary is one of the best ways I see the leafs getting around the cap next season. I don’t think Marleau will waive to go anywhere, and moving another salary like Zaitsev May prove tricky. I think if the leafs want to resign all 3 of Marner , Johnsson , Kapanen then Nylander is the odd man out.

The leafs would no doubt try to get back defense in any deal to replace Gardiner and such.
Was wondering what kind of value people think Nylander could bring back ? In my opinion some Gms will look past his disastrous playoffs so far and lackluster season and value him as the high offensive threat he was last year.
Teams with the cap and need that I could see making sense is Buffalo (something around Ristolainen ?) Carolina (Pesce) Minnesota (Dumba) New Jersey (Severson)

Opinions ?? What else do the leafs do to get out of cap hell and resign Marner and company for next season ?

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Dubas is young and not very experienced GM, but Leafs usually overrate their prospects in consider salary/contract value - so I`m glad Rangers & Nucks is not part of the Nylander solution.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Dubas is young and not very experienced GM, but Leafs usually overrate their prospects in consider salary/contract value - so I`m glad Rangers & Nucks is not part of the Nylander solution.
Everybody over rated their prospects. Don’t kid yourself. Why are the rangers and canucks not part of the solution. He would be perfect for a rebuilding team.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
What else do the leafs do to get out of cap hell and resign Marner and company for next season ?

So let me roleplay as the GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

I call up Dubas, and I offer him Man Mountain at 7m (857k retained), Paul Byron (3.4m) and Andrew Shaw (3.9m) as well as our 15th overall pick, and our 2020 2nd

In return, we take Nylander (7m), Kadri (4.5m), Zaitsev (4.5m) and the last year of the Horton (5.3m) deal.

The Leafs free up 7m in cap space, while improving defensively. They resign Marner, and have cap space to look at another player if they really wanted to (Panarin or Skinner to improve the left side, maybe?)

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Johnsson/Matthews/Kapanen
Marleau/Shaw/Byron (look at Shaw's faceoff % since coming to Montreal if you need any evidence he can play the position)
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

If Leafs aren't interested; I'd just offer sheet Marner 13 x 7 and see what happens.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Everybody over rated their prospects. Don’t kid yourself. Why are the rangers and canucks not part of the solution. He would be perfect for a rebuilding team.

I believe he is overrated unless he plays with very good players on a #1st line role who can carry him like Marner. However that`s my current view though and it can change, and he is still developing, but not as quick as many thought - he is only 22 years old though still very young.

Besides Rangers we have so many RW now in Kakko, Buch, Kratsov and some of them will play their first NHL season in October 2019-20 season. So our RW position is soo deep, and maybe Gorton consider to resign Zucc if Dallas dont sign him who is also a RW. Nylander is a very good player with 6.9 cap hit next season, but not ideal fit for Rangers at least - maybe Nucks have a better fit for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: shortfuze

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m with Hrudey on this one. Personally, I’d take him on a pure steal but I wouldn’t pay much at all.

Reactions: Cogburn

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t know if other wild fans would agree with this, and it’s understandable why they wouldn’t, but I’d look at something around an extended Spurgeon for Nylander.

Reactions: Gotskillz2102

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He'd fit a need for Minnesota, but if the Leafs wanted Dumba I don't think the conversation would go anywhere.

I think Fenton would consider moving Spurgeon for him, though Toronto would have some understandable concerns about the age gap and contract status. I think Spurgeon's game will age just fine and doubt he'll be difficult to extend, but it'll likely be the sort of deal that Nylander's already on ($7m for 6 years, or thereabout).

If Nylander trade rumors heat up I expect Minnesota's name will probably come up, but it's kind of hard to see it amounting to much.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013

I call up Dubas, and I offer him Man Mountain at 7m (857k retained), Paul Byron (3.4m) and Andrew Shaw (3.9m) as well as our 15th overall pick, and our 2020 2nd

In return, we take Nylander (7m), Kadri (4.5m), Zaitsev (4.5m) and the last year of the Horton (5.3m) deal.

The Leafs free up 7m in cap space, while improving defensively. They resign Marner, and have cap space to look at another player if they really wanted to (Panarin or Skinner to improve the left side, maybe?)

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Marleau/Shaw/Byron (look at Shaw's faceoff % since coming to Montreal if you need any evidence he can play the position)
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

If Leafs aren't interested; I'd just offer sheet Marner 13 x 7 and see what happens.
LOL.
Nope.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

What's the benefit for MTL here? We end up with a worse defense, an overpaid winger, a center we don't need, and we lose 2 picks including an important top-15 one in the process?

Absolutely terrible.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
Why does everyone misquote William Nylander's word as being Kyle Dubas' words?

Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas on what he told Nylander regarding a trade - Sportsnet.ca

Here is what Kyle Dubas said.....

“The discussion that William and I had had a couple of times was a fear of his … that he was being signed to be traded,” Dubas told Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports. “And my discussion with him, I just affirmed with him that that was not our intention whatsoever.
“Our intention was that as long as I was here that I saw him as a part of the Toronto Maple Leafs"

Maybe just a bit less committed than what’s out there (Dubas chose his words carefully – teams make decisions every now and then that they certainly never had any “intentions” of doing)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With the way he has now competed in multiple playoffs as a perimiter skilled winger I cant see him having much trade value until proven otherwise. If he didnt have that albatross of a contract maybe he would have some value but no one is hitching their wagon to this player with that kind of salary commitment.

Ellis+ for nylander

Lol What?! Big plus coming from the leafs here and they make out like bandits, Ellis is exactly what the leafs need.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
First, I think the contracts the Leafs agreed to both Nylander and Matthews were too high. Somehow the Leafs paid a hometown premium. Now I don't blame Dubas exclusively. MLSE has lots of support staff, so I don't understand why all these brainiacs thought these were fair contracts. (admitting they should know more than me).
Now for the Leafs to give fair contracts to their remaining RFAs the Leafs are over cap by 7m. To me there is one logical trade. Nylander. The trade would have to be for no NHL cap return. So the few teams will be in the bidding for Willie. IMO, I really don't care about the return, because getting rid of his cap is more important. If you don't get rid of the cap then the risk is you lose Kapanen and Johnson.
Please no Zaitsev trades, the Leaf have no one to take his minute eating place on RHD. And replacing him, doesn't solve with cap issue.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I can see NJ being interested.

If the Leafs are looking to move Kadri, someone like Zacha might be a solid option as a 3rd line center with potential. We would have to add picks and prospects to even things out but it would definitely help the Leafs cap situation in order to resign Marner, Kapanen and Johansson.

Severson might be another option if Shero can manage to sign Karlsson (pipe dream) or Myers. If Subban is on the block, he’d be another option as well.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Moore/Gauthier/Brown

Rielly/Weber
Dermott/Muzzin
Sandin/Liljegren

Sorry, any guy who doesn't understand LTIR. Horton doesn't hurt the Leaf cap at all. So that trade you suggest saves the Leafs just 1.5m in cap.

13m for Marner. Leafs don't match and they have 10m to spend on other players plus 4 first rounders. which might include lottery picks.
So the Habs would have 31m in three players. Now Domi is at risk of being offered and lost next season.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
The Canucks would have interest. We need a winger for Horvat. The question is the cost. What would the Leafs want from the Canucks for Nylander?

I'm not sure I'd offer any of the big 5 though. That's where it gets tricky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad