Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Do you actually view this as a valid reason to trade a top 5 LWer in the league for a "guy"

What don't you understand about it? We absolutely couldn't go into next season with the same roster as last year. Can't do it, when you have a loser team with the worst defense in the league, you don't fix it by doing nothing. So we had to overpay, but got a pretty good young defenseman in the process.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rumours out of Edmonton at the time was that it was ownership(pre-Katz) that was pissed off and wanted their bonus money back.

that was the big thing. Comrie wanted to go to California because the Comrie family had already somewhat moved down there. When He refused to give the bonus money back--he got shipped to Phlly for Jeff Woywitka. a first(robbie Schremp) and 3rd (Danny Syvret)

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
For me an example of what this thread is about is the lack of two Vancouver moved. Hamuis and Vrbata. Dallas even said they thought they had a player (hamuis) but when the team did not call back they had to go to plan B. I believe this was Russell if I am not mistaken. Dallas got Hamuis and Vancouver ended up without anything. With Vrbata the asking price was too high. When a guy like Purcell got a 3rd..reports are nucks wanted a 1st.

I've heard the opposite to all this, ghat Russell was plan A, Vancouver made an offer to Dallas. Dallas took that offer and asked Calgary of they would take this offer and they agreed. The stars then offered a later pick or something like that and Canucks never returmed for some reason. There was a reason, I just can't remember what.
With Vrbata, that was his fault. not Vancouver wanting too much. He didn't want to leave and gave a short list of teams when it was almost too late and those teams couldn't/wouldn't make a reasonable offer. Heard the beat offer was like a fifth or something. But I can't blame Vrbata since his wife was very pregnant at the time

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
Theres a rumour going around that at this past draft there was a trade ready to go but Jarmo let it slip that he had PLD over JP and Chia pulled out

To Cal
3rd overall
Milano
To CLB
4th + RNH
to Edm
6th + Hamilton

Thanks god Chia pulled out cause the oilers get bent hard, Cal doesn't do to well (although not bad but since MT fell to them they probably love that they didnt do it) and CLB makes out like bandits.

In any event, if this was true, once JP fell I think Chia should have just done business with CAL, sometime like 4th plus 32nd for 6th plus Hamilton (even if MT didnt fall I would have done this as an oiler fan).

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Rumours out of Edmonton at the time was that it was ownership(pre-Katz) that was pissed off and wanted their bonus money back.

From what I recall, the logic wasn't entirely that the value wasn't fair, it was that the Oilers had given Comrie a rather large signing bonus at one point earlier and Lowe felt betrayed that after giving Comrie the bonus he wanted out. So he asked him to pay the bonus back. Still greasy.

EDIT ^^^^ beaten to it.

I understand but the thing is though, they still didn't get that money.

If you're so hellbent on getting that $2.5M back that you hold out until you finally get paid even if you have to take a worse deal for Comrie, fine. At least there's a principal there, even if it's a silly one.

But they just gave up on the $2.5M and sent Comrie to Philly for a worse package anyway. They didn't gain anything at all, they just lost even worse.

Lowe (or the ownership) were obviously just doing it out of spite, and it bit them in the ass big time.

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007

If you're so hellbent on getting that $2.5M back that you hold out until you finally get paid even if you have to take a worse deal for Comrie, fine. At least there's a principal there, even if it's a silly one.

But they just gave up on the $2.5M and sent Comrie to Philly for a worse package anyway. They didn't gain anything at all, they just lost even worse.

Lowe (or the ownership) were obviously just doing it out of spite, and it bit them in the ass big time.

Im actually happy this happened because Wyowitka was the main piece in the Pronger trade...maybe we dont get Pronger without this happening.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I've heard the opposite to all this, ghat Russell was plan A, Vancouver made an offer to Dallas. Dallas took that offer and asked Calgary of they would take this offer and they agreed. The stars then offered a later pick or something like that and Canucks never returmed for some reason. There was a reason, I just can't remember what.
With Vrbata, that was his fault. not Vancouver wanting too much. He didn't want to leave and gave a short list of teams when it was almost too late and those teams couldn't/wouldn't make a reasonable offer. Heard the beat offer was like a fifth or something. But I can't blame Vrbata since his wife was very pregnant at the time

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...adline-day-and-the-canucks-best-move-in-weeks

Dallas offered the Canucks a package similar to the one Calgary eventually got.

It was Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock and a third-round draft pick.

This was on Monday, with only the Stars being a viable option for Hamhuis.

Now, the Stars claim this met the Canucks’ demands. According to their version of events, they thought they had a deal

Stars when to Nucks first and then back to Flames and then said Russel was their first pick the entire time

The Canucks say there was never an agreement. They were still negotiating.

They do admit at this point, Canucks management made a call to ownership.

that is what killed the deal--Nuck fans can correct me--but there is interesting scuttlebutt as to just how hands on the owners are in player transaction.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Chiarelli apparently also offered Spooner and a second round pick for Chris Stewart and there might have been another small piece coming to Boston. Great deal for Buffalo, horribly bad for Boston. So glad Chiarelli isn't pulling any strings for the Bruins any more.

Was going to mention this.

So glad Murray got greedy and decided to hold out for more and Spooner finally figured it out so his value went up.

What a disaster that would have been. Chiarelli's last two years here were so brutal.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Im actually happy this happened because Wyowitka was the main piece in the Pronger trade...maybe we dont get Pronger without this happening.

Nah Brewer was the main piece. Woywitka and Lynch were the 2 prospects.

Also the big reason why the 2.5million topper was asked for by Lowe(and management) was because Comrie had the Oilers over a barrel by jumping from US college to the WHL and thus forcing the Oilers to pay him more than they would have liked. Otherwise he would have been a UFA because of that stupid loophole. The OIlers never forgot about this and when their relationship soured the Oilers figured they should try to get that money back before doing Comrie any favors(traded to So-Cal).

In hindsight the Ducks trade was vastly superior to the Flyers one. But Woywitka was a higher thought of prospect when the trade was made.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Something about Spezza to Nashville but he didn't want to go there and so went to Dallas and we got horrible spare parts in return...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

At the time was it really a worse package though? Woywitka was a high potential defense prospect at the time, thought to be a possible star in the making. Perry wasn't expected to be a superstar either at that point.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
EDM should have traded RNH for D help and didnt.

Not only was moving Hall a mistake, but their depth chart and cap structure doesnt warrant a need to have RNH anymore as a $6 mil 3C

They just gave up one of the best LWs in the game for a #2/3 dman

Agreed. They really didn't need to trade their best winger, if anything they needed to move a center. Should've tried for RNH for Larsson, or RNH for another d-man, Hall for Larsson was one of those one step forward one step back moves, and depending on how Larsson does in EDM could even be two steps back.

Hall played well for EDM, they knew what they had in Taylor Hall. Trading him for anything other than a proven #2 two-way d-man was IMO a mistake. Larsson could become that, but right now he's more of a #2 defensive d-man at best.

Had they traded RNH even for a similar d-man, they'd at least have been dealing from a position of strength being that they have two better centers. They don't have a winger better than Hall.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Devils said no to RNH to Larsson. What do the Oilers do? Sit on their hands? Everybody screamed at them to trade one of their forwards!

Bad trade, but the team is obviously better than before. Oilers can lose another forward and still be okay.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It's additionally bad because the Comrie family were well known individuals in the Edmonton area. Awful thing to do to anyone, let alone a major local business family (they owned "The Brick").

Really know one has posted the facts here . Comrie asked to be traded and Lowe wanted a portion of his signing bonus repaid . The signing bonus was base on him signing for X number of years and if he was not honouring that so it was fair for him to repay a part of it . Still all in all Lowe missed the boat on that one but I can understand him making a stand against a player with a sense of entitlement

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Agreed. They really didn't need to trade their best winger, if anything they needed to move a center. Should've tried for RNH for Larsson, or RNH for another d-man, Hall for Larsson was one of those one step forward one step back moves, and depending on how Larsson does in EDM could even be two steps back.

Hall played well for EDM, they knew what they had in Taylor Hall. Trading him for anything other than a proven #2 two-way d-man was IMO a mistake. Larsson could become that, but right now he's more of a #2 defensive d-man at best.

Had they traded RNH even for a similar d-man, they'd at least have been dealing from a position of strength being that they have two better centers. They don't have a winger better than Hall.

1) Chiarelli tried to trade Nuge for Larsson. Shero wasn't doing that trade.
2) With Lucic coming in, Hall was made expendable. We can't have that much money wrapped up in left wingers.
3) Do you know for sure of any offers for Nuge? Because Nuge for Dumba or Brodin doesn't help us.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
In any event, if this was true, once JP fell I think Chia should have just done business with CAL, sometime like 4th plus 32nd for 6th plus Hamilton (even if MT didnt fall I would have done this as an oiler fan).

Calgary does not do this, lol.

Terrible.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I think the big thing was they overvalued Comrie (as most people did), and did not think perry would be as good as he turned out to be.
Had they known they would have pulled the trigger even without getting any bonus money back.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
ugh pronger for anyone not named joe thornton should have happened instead of pronger to the ducks :cry:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
+1 for Subban being available but not ending up in EDM.

to lesser extent Weber not ending up in EDM after being talked about on these boards for 4+ yrs

This assumes that either was available for anything other than a replacement #1 defender. Edmonton probably didn't have the piece to get either except for McDavid, which they wouldn't give. Some may also bring up the Jones trade. Maybe RNH could have gotten it done if Johansen wasn't available, but he was so Edmonton just didn't have the piece that they would have been willing to part with. I don't think those can be pinned on Edmonton's management as missed opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad