Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Didnt Kevin Lowe get greedy and wanted money on top of it that soured the deal? I seem to recall this.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-comrie-must-pay-for-trade-1.399739

Whether or not the Edmonton Oilers trade Mike Comrie is now up to Mike Comrie.

Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe confirmed Wednesday that he was prepared to ship Comrie to another NHL team, presumably the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

Naturally, Lowe wanted comparable value in return so, when he didn't receive it, demanded Comrie make up the difference out of his own pocket.

"I think we're fairly close with a team," Lowe told the Edmonton Sun.

"In our minds, it's not fair market value, so we asked Mike Comrie to top up the deal.

"This particular deal. Not all deals or any deals, but this particular deal, so we could get to a point where we felt we had something that addresses our needs this year and in the future."

Reports suggest Lowe agreed to send Comrie to Anaheim for prospect Corey Perry and a first-round draft pick, but only if the forward cut Edmonton a fat cheque.

He supposedly asked Comrie to pony up $2.5 million US to complete the transaction.

It's still insane to me that this actually happened. Lowe thought he was getting so ripped off on a Perry+1st for Comrie trade and was so bitter at Comrie for holding out that he basically tried to extort $2.5M out of Comrie to make the deal. A deal that would have benefited his franchise a hundred fold down the road if he had just done it.

Talk about being your own worst enemy.

I still can't believe he actually said "we asked Mike Comrie to top-up the deal" like he was asking for extra guacamole on his burrito or something.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Did the Sharks decline that or the Oilers? I suspect the latter because the final trade was (and better)

Chris Pronger to Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 2007 first round pick (#30-Nick Ross), 2008 conditional first round pick (if Ducks reach 2006-07 finals) (#22-Jordan Eberle), 2008 second round pick (#53-Travis Hamonic) on 2006-07-03

Oilers picked Riley Nash after moving up with the Nick Ross pick (Yotes).

The Maple Leafs offer was better but was nix-ed by NMC (?) of Kaberle or Steen.
Oilers made the offer, Wilson declined.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
I'll say trading Iginla to the Bruins. Seemed like they offered a better package than Pittsburgh, but in the end Iggy chose the Pens.

The deal was something like Khohlachev + 1st if I recall correctly

Both deals essentially ended up being the same.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

It's still insane to me that this actually happened. Lowe thought he was getting so ripped off on a Perry+1st for Comrie trade and was so bitter at Comrie for holding out that he basically tried to extort $2.5M out of Comrie to make the deal. A deal that would have benefited his franchise a hundred fold down the road if he had just done it.

I still can't believe he actually said "we asked Mike Comrie to top-up the deal" like he was asking for extra guacamole on his burrito or something.

My memory isnt that bad afterall. I always thought Kevin wanted Bryan Murray to give him money but its actually more hilarious that Kevin tried to get Comrie to pay him 2.5M US :laugh::laugh: How Kevin still has a job in hockey defies every single possible rule of the universe.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
My memory isnt that bad afterall. I always thought Kevin wanted Bryan Murray to give him money but its actually more hilarious that Kevin tried to get Comrie to pay him 2.5M US :laugh::laugh: How Kevin still has a job in hockey defies every single possible rule of the universe.

It's additionally bad because the Comrie family were well known individuals in the Edmonton area. Awful thing to do to anyone, let alone a major local business family (they owned "The Brick").

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Mike Peca for Jerome Iginla. Iginla wasn't 100% proven yet but was due for a big (at the time) raise. Apparently with ownership about ready to go to jail, this scared the Sabres off and the trade never happened.

Later we traded Peca for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.:cry:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I would have moved Krejci years ago for a defenseman of similar age and calibre. I think that ship has long sailed.

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
oilers could have had correy perry for mike comie but lowe had his head so far up his a-hole

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Seguin for Vanek.

Chiarelli offered Seguin to Buffalo first, for Vanek (and possibly something else) but Darcy Regier thought Vanek was worth more... (bangs head on wall)

Chiarelli apparently also offered Spooner and a second round pick for Chris Stewart and there might have been another small piece coming to Boston. Great deal for Buffalo, horribly bad for Boston. So glad Chiarelli isn't pulling any strings for the Bruins any more.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Didnt Kevin Lowe get greedy and wanted money on top of it that soured the deal? I seem to recall this.

Idiot wanted Comrie to pay back his bonus that they paid him...

I think it all soured with the Ducks because Comrie apparently had a contract in principle with the Ducks before the deal was even made which set Lowe off and nix'd the deal

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think both STL and BOS wish they pulled the trigger on Eriksson++ for Shatty+ last trade deadline.
I've only seen Boston fans express regret that this didn't happen.

We can speculate all we want about what might have been in the playoffs, but I don't see how the Blues would be in a better position now if they had pulled the trigger on that. No Shattenkirk or Eriksson, and only Colin Miller and Koko to show for it?

I'm not losing sleep over that at all.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Chiarelli apparently also offered Spooner and a second round pick for Chris Stewart and there might have been another small piece coming to Boston. Great deal for Buffalo, horribly bad for Boston. So glad Chiarelli isn't pulling any strings for the Bruins any more.

Yes I heard this too. I still can't believe Tim Murray wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade. Makes me wonder what the other piece was that Boston wanted.

I thought I remembered hearing something about Neely possibly nixing that trade too? Maybe I'm just hoping that was the case. lol

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Rumours out of Edmonton at the time was that it was ownership(pre-Katz) that was pissed off and wanted their bonus money back.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

From what I recall, the logic wasn't entirely that the value wasn't fair, it was that the Oilers had given Comrie a rather large signing bonus at one point earlier and Lowe felt betrayed that after giving Comrie the bonus he wanted out. So he asked him to pay the bonus back. Still greasy.

EDIT ^^^^ beaten to it.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

Lol this was a hilarious read. Comrie was so highly touted back then it was unreal. What was the deal there? He had a couple solid seasons in Edmonton.

I would have moved Krejci years ago for a defenseman of similar age and calibre. I think that ship has long sailed.

With Backes gone you'd think Krejci for Shattenkirk should still be a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad