Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Devils said no to RNH to Larsson. What do the Oilers do? Sit on their hands? Everybody screamed at them to trade one of their forwards!

Bad trade, but the team is obviously better than before. Oilers can lose another forward and still be okay.

Find a team willing to trade a young d-man for RNH instead.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
1) Chiarelli tried to trade Nuge for Larsson. Shero wasn't doing that trade.
2) With Lucic coming in, Hall was made expendable. We can't have that much money wrapped up in left wingers.
3) Do you know for sure of any offers for Nuge? Because Nuge for Dumba or Brodin doesn't help us.

For #1 fair enough. For #2, Milan doesn't make Hall expendable, Hall is on another level. For #3, I'd argue keeping Hall and losing Nuge while getting Brodin instead of Larsson does make EDM better.

You lose a center you don't need rather than a winger you could easily still use, and you get Brodin instead of Larsson which IMO is basically a wash. IMO that would be a much smarter move.

I don't know of any offers, but I find it hard to believe a similar player to Larsson couldn't have been found for RNH rather than having to overpay for him using Hall.

It boils down to this, Hall is the best winger on EDM, RNH is the 3rd best center, or if you want to argue 2nd best.. at best. They could've found a similar D for RNH rather than trading Hall for him.

Hall + Brodin > RNH + Larsson IMO. Like you said though, I'm not sure that offer was even available, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-comrie-must-pay-for-trade-1.399739

It's still insane to me that this actually happened. Lowe thought he was getting so ripped off on a Perry+1st for Comrie trade and was so bitter at Comrie for holding out that he basically tried to extort $2.5M out of Comrie to make the deal. A deal that would have benefited his franchise a hundred fold down the road if he had just done it.

Talk about being your own worst enemy.

I still can't believe he actually said "we asked Mike Comrie to top-up the deal" like he was asking for extra guacamole on his burrito or something.

I think this gif accurately describes Kevin Lowe's strategy for the Comrie situation.

raw

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Why? We fully expect to lose a top 4 D in the expansion draft. In all honesty, a "fair" trade would actually have been bad for us, as we would be losing another D man a year later for nothing.

If they trade Dumba for an expansion protected asset then they don't lose another player in the expansion draft.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Edmonton fans are just incredible. A couple of years of wanting to trade for a defenseman, and now when they got one of the best of the young ones in the league, it's bad and everything sucks. Seriously?

If you think that ther was a similar defenseman available for RNH, please name that guy. Pretty sure you won't be able to do that.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Edmonton fans are just incredible. A couple of years of wanting to trade for a defenseman, and now when they got one of the best of the young ones in the league, it's bad and everything sucks. Seriously?

If you think that ther was a similar defenseman available for RNH, please name that guy. Pretty sure you won't be able to do that.

That's... a Habs fan?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Recently? I wish Lou could have found a taker for PAP/Grabner....in the past....Kaberle for Carter, didn't happen because a fax machine malfunctioned.:laugh:

PAP was injured right before the trade deadline, and the trade that was on the table fizzled.

Unless you think Toronto should have dealt PAP+TOR 2nd 2018 for a team's 2nd 2017 or something, just for the sake of moving him for essentially nothing...

Same with Grabner. There just wasn't interest. The fact that Toronto signed as many FAs as they did and dealt as many as they did manage to deal, it's actually an alarmingly successful evaluation of FA talent and signing them to good deals...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Most of the people who are highly critical of this deal are not Oiler fans. Many Oiler fans may not have been happy with the full return but do recognize that on whole there was justification for the trade. Right now the Oilers are a much more balanced team than they were prior to the draft.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

I don't see how years of wanting to trade for a defenseman means it's a good idea to trade your best winger for one that isn't on par with him. I'd understand trading your 3rd best C for one, but I feel trading Hall for one is shortsighted and a panic move.

Had they gotten a premiere d-man in the league for their premiere winger I wouldn't be baffled.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't see how years of wanting to trade for a defenseman means it's a good idea to trade your best winger for one that isn't on par with him. I'd understand trading your 3rd best C for one, but I feel trading Hall for one is shortsighted and a panic move.

Had they gotten a premiere d-man in the league for their premiere winger I wouldn't be baffled.

His point stands: if you can find a D who was better or equal to Larsson that actually was available for RNH- not rumored, but actually on the table- then you'd have the right to complain.

Based on what is public knowledge, this was the best deal ANYONE put forth- even for Hall.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Really know one has posted the facts here . Comrie asked to be traded and Lowe wanted a portion of his signing bonus repaid . The signing bonus was base on him signing for X number of years and if he was not honouring that so it was fair for him to repay a part of it . Still all in all Lowe missed the boat on that one but I can understand him making a stand against a player with a sense of entitlement

Those are definitely not the facts. His ELC had expired and he was holding out at the time of the trade. There was no signing bonus based on number of years. There was a massive bonus structure to his ELC before there was a cap on rookie bonuses or structure to achievements to unlock bonuses.

This guy has it bang on:

Also the big reason why the 2.5million topper was asked for by Lowe(and management) was because Comrie had the Oilers over a barrel by jumping from US college to the WHL and thus forcing the Oilers to pay him more than they would have liked. Otherwise he would have been a UFA because of that stupid loophole. The OIlers never forgot about this and when their relationship soured the Oilers figured they should try to get that money back before doing Comrie any favors(traded to So-Cal).

In hindsight the Ducks trade was vastly superior to the Flyers one. But Woywitka was a higher thought of prospect when the trade was made.

The crazy thing is, had we pulled the trigger on that deal, it was only a few years later that we're trading Pronger to the Ducks and the rumour was Lowe inquired about Getzlaf (just completed his rookie season at the time). Burke supposedly said if it's Getzlaf, it's straight up. At the time, trading one of the top 3 D in the game - signed for 4 more years @ 6.25 per - for one high end rookie/sophomore would have been ridiculed. In hindsight we could have had Perry and Getzlaf.:shakehead

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Chia should have gave us Drai + Klefbom + #4 for Subban (even tho its an overpayment) instead of moving Hall, Cbj prolly ruined that trade tho.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I'll start with my team, the Wild.

Blows my mind that Fletcher couldn't move one of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba for a top 6 forward of similar age.

Any others?

You would think BOS would've moved a C for D help, especially if they knew they were going to sign Backes.

Some of this think Spooner is being shopped and may not be here come August/training camp.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Chia should have gave us Drai + Klefbom + #4 for Subban (even tho its an overpayment) instead of moving Hall, Cbj prolly ruined that trade tho.

Hall for Larsson and adding Lucic makes the Oilers much better than your deal. Very glad that Chia didn't keep chasing Subban given what the Habs wanted.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
I'd probably say the Jets not doing trouba for the 4th overall.

Don't get me wrong, the jets already have a huge amount of winger depth, but getting the wonder finns together on the same team would have been huge.

They also would have been able to pursue someone like yandle in FA to actually have some depth on LD instead of waiting it out in contract talks with Trouba like they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad