Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
This thread SCREAMS Spezza for Oshie. Spezza ended up getting traded for nothing, and I think it's safe to say Blues fans would in retrospect choose Spezza over Brouwer.

Big miss for both teams.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
That deal Garth Snow offered to move from 4OA to 2OA.

link

That's seven picks (numbers 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185) for one

If you go by this link and look at the value offered, (and knowing league-average is 20%), that's a paltry 7% penalty to move up.

Obvious why CBJ turned it down, but if NYI had only sweetened the pot a bit with a decent prospect or an additional 2nd the following year, we can only wonder what might've been.

Can't imagine that CBJ would have taken Reinhart, so the deal would have potentially worked out for both clubs.

Filip Forsberg? Morgan Rielly? Matthew Dumba? Jacob Trouba?

And who knows if Murray would've had the injuries and development delays he did...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'd probably say the Jets not doing trouba for the 4th overall.

Don't get me wrong, the jets already have a huge amount of winger depth, but getting the wonder finns together on the same team would have been huge.

They also would have been able to pursue someone like yandle in FA to actually have some depth on LD instead of waiting it out in contract talks with Trouba like they are.

Trouba alone would not have gotten you the 4th

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That deal Garth Snow offered to move from 4OA to 2OA.

link

If you go by this link and look at the value offered, (and knowing league-average is 20%), that's a paltry 7% penalty to move up.

Obvious why CBJ turned it down, but if NYI had only sweetened the pot a bit with a decent prospect or an additional 2nd the following year, we can only wonder what might've been.

Can't imagine that CBJ would have taken Reinhart, so the deal would have potentially worked out for both clubs.

Filip Forsberg? Morgan Rielly? Matthew Dumba? Jacob Trouba?

And who knows if Murray would've had the injuries and development delays he did...

Might have worked out for both clubs, but then the Isles wouldn't have Barzal and Beauviller right now and I'm pretty content having those two as prospects.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Simon gagne and andy delmore for ray borque. If there was a window for that flyers team and a player that could have put us over it was ray borque

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I was suprised Subban got traded...also surprised he didn't go to EDM... seemed like a natural fit

Montreal trade Subban doesn't get a defenseman like Weber back and then Montreal ruins their blueline.

+1 for Subban being available but not ending up in EDM.

to lesser extent Weber not ending up in EDM after being talked about on these boards for 4+ yrs

Predators like Montreal wanted very good defenseman for their very good defenseman trading one away for a forward doesn't make their team better.

Mike Green after his 30 goal season. Think it was pretty obvious no matter what you thought of Green it was unlikely he would hit 30 again.

Just because he probably wouldn't hit 30 goals again doesn't mean it is a good idea to trade him. Trading a high scoring defenseman isn't a good idea unless he says he wants to be traded or if he is going to be a UFA and you know he won't re-sign and your team is out of the playoff picture.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Montreal trade Subban doesn't get a defenseman like Weber back and then Montreal ruins their blueline.

Predators like Montreal wanted very good defenseman for their very good defenseman trading one away for a forward doesn't make their team better.

Just because he probably wouldn't hit 30 goals again doesn't mean it is a good idea to trade him. Trading a high scoring defenseman isn't a good idea unless he says he wants to be traded or if he is going to be a UFA and you know he won't re-sign and your team is out of the playoff picture.

Sometimes getting the value out of a player may not be obvious. The actual player ,couple of very solid 2nd line players or "real top 4 Dman" the caps could have got for him at that time would have pushed that team over the top. Obviously there were never any rumors of a trade around green so who knows who those players could have been at the time.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Most of the people who are highly critical of this deal are not Oiler fans. Many Oiler fans may not have been happy with the full return but do recognize that on whole there was justification for the trade. Right now the Oilers are a much more balanced team than they were prior to the draft.

I've seen enough Edmonton fans complaining about the deal (even after signing Lucic, for the record). Chiarelli guaranteedly tried to make the best out of a bad situation, but some people just can't see it. Had there been a better option available, Chia would have gone for it. There wasn't, and that's what we have to live with.

Edmonton did just what many, MANY posters including myself said for months and months before the offseason. By losing a fight, they improved their chances of winning the war.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I've seen enough Edmonton fans complaining about the deal (even after signing Lucic, for the record).

What is "enough"? 5? 12? 20?

Chiarelli guaranteedly tried to make the best out of a bad situation, but some people just can't see it. Had there been a better option available, Chia would have gone for it. There wasn't, and that's what we have to live with.

Right, so why are you lecturing Oilers fans about that? We know that better than anyone.

Edmonton did just what many, MANY posters including myself said for months and months before the offseason. By losing a fight, they improved their chances of winning the war.

Correct again, and why many Oilers fans support the move. It's folly to conflate the emotional reaction that immediately after the trade with the logical, reasoned thought that replaced it once the shock wore off.

If anything, you should be preaching to the rest of HF, who polluted threads on the trade with all sorts of garbage about how Chiarelli is a terrible GM and why didn't he move Anton Lander for Shea Weber instead etc.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Rumor had it Brian Burke was offered 1st round picks for MacArthur, Grabovski, and Kulemin. That isn't to say one pick for all three of them, mind you. And not adding a pick with any of them in order to move them. But three seperate offers of a 1st round pick for each of those guys. Instead we lost two to UFA and bought-out the third.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Did the Sharks decline that or the Oilers? I suspect the latter because the final trade was (and better)

The Oilers wanted some combo of Bernier/Carle/Michalek and draft picks for Pronger, but Doug Wilson didn't want to give up one (or more) of those players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think both STL and BOS wish they pulled the trigger on Eriksson++ for Shatty+ last trade deadline.

Eriksson for anything, really. I appreciate that the B's wanted to stay competitive, but did they really think they had a shot in the playoffs?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
How the Blues didn't do absolutely anything they could to beat the Devils Hall offer still blows my mind.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Rumor had it Brian Burke was offered 1st round picks for MacArthur, Grabovski, and Kulemin. That isn't to say one pick for all three of them, mind you. And not adding a pick with any of them in order to move them. But three seperate offers of a 1st round pick for each of those guys. Instead we lost two to UFA and bought-out the third.

Yeah, I feel like that was waxed up by some pro-Leafs media shill. Dreger?

Assuming this was the year before those guys left, Grabovski had 16 points in 48 games. MacArthur 20 in 40 and Kulemin 23 in 48.

Iginla, Jagr, Bouwmeester and Pominville were the only guys traded for 1sts at the deadline. All quite a bit more valuable that any of the Leaf guys.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How the Blues didn't do absolutely anything they could to beat the Devils Hall offer still blows my mind.

Unless they were to make Pietrangelo available, what could they do? Shattenkirk wouldn't re-sign long term, and I'm sure that Larsson shutting down top line guys last year made him more valuable to Edmonton than Parayko, who might not even have been available either.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
saywha.gif

Brodin has got to be the most overrated dman on these boards. He is entirely dependant on Ryan Suter for success.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
May have already been mentioned but didn't the Leafs have a crazy offer for Luongo during the shortened season that Gillis turned down? Had that happened the Canucks would likely still have Schneider+ the assets. Vancouver might still be a contender had he not gotten greedy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->