Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The only issue with this is that we don't know which d-man Minnesota was dangling. If it was Spurgeon for Nuge, you might have a point as its still a 2/3 d-man to us, but if it was Brodin or Dumba, no thanks. Nuge and Larsson > Hall and Brodin/Dumba.

saywha.gif

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
EDM should have traded RNH for D help and didnt.

Not only was moving Hall a mistake, but their depth chart and cap structure doesnt warrant a need to have RNH anymore as a $6 mil 3C

They just gave up one of the best LWs in the game for a #2/3 dman

On the RNH note, he isn't their 3c right now. He is their 2C. Trade him and your top 2 C's next year have less than 160 games combined. Recipe for disaster.

As for trading one of the best LW's in the game. Hall will be missed, but you can win a cup without having one of the top left wings in the game. I'm confident with how Edmonton is built, Larsson will be a factor in more wins than Hall would have been.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dany Heatley for Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid

If that deal occurred we would not have Laurent Brossoit or Oscar Klefbom today. But we would have a ****ing all-star.

That deal technically did happen.

But the All-Star blocked it.

Ya know, Edmonton reasons

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm shocked a deal couldn't get worked out.

You'd think at the end of the day, RNH for Spurgeon would have happened. Both sides feel like they win and lose a bit. Both fix their roster issues.

I'm surprised too to be honest. Tells me that Minnesota management was probably looking to move Scandella or Brodin and Oilers management wanted Spurgeon or something along those lines. Or Minny was holding out for Hall.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm shocked a deal couldn't get worked out.

You'd think at the end of the day, RNH for Spurgeon would have happened. Both sides feel like they win and lose a bit. Both fix their roster issues.

The rumor was that Fletcher offered Dumba for RNH and Chia balked (thank god) so I doubt that Spurgeon was on the table for RNH.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Always thought Jordan Staal for Bobby Ryan for Pit and Anaheim would have been solid in 2010-11 or so. Ducks needed a solid 2C, Pens needed a top RW.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The actual offer was Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, a 16-year old Galchenyuk, the future rights to Alex Radulov, 10 firsts and a 4th.

That is the best take on that deal ever. :handclap:

The package has gotten larger and larger over the years.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
There's still time, but I thought one of Dillon/Martin would be moved to create room for DeMelo. We're going to lose one of them in the expansion draft anyway.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The rumor was that Fletcher offered Dumba for RNH and Chia balked (thank god) so I doubt that Spurgeon was on the table for RNH.

I get that Dumba has potential and is a RHD, but there is no way that he should be equated with RNH, bad season and all. I suspect there was something more to the story, I.e. EDM wanted Granlund added, or wanted to send back Fayne, or something.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
The reported ask from Edmonton was number 4 overall, nurse, Leon d and nuge. That would have hurt the oilers rebuild

Reid Wilkins described it on Calgary sports radio as the Habs "asking for a quarter of the good players on the team". Making that trade would have created a lot of holes that would have to be filled.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Did the Sharks decline that or the Oilers? I suspect the latter because the final trade was (and better)

Chris Pronger to Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 2007 first round pick (#30-Nick Ross), 2008 conditional first round pick (if Ducks reach 2006-07 finals) (#22-Jordan Eberle), 2008 second round pick (#53-Travis Hamonic) on 2006-07-03

Oilers picked Riley Nash after moving up with the Nick Ross pick (Yotes).

The Maple Leafs offer was better but was nix-ed by NMC (?) of Kaberle or Steen.

Sharks declined, they didn't want to part with Michalek at the time. And I think the Oilers wanted Ehrhoff instead of Carle.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
I believe Ottawa offered Phillips, Havlat, Emery and a 1st for Luongo but Florida accepted the Bertuzzi trade instead. What could have been...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Eberle for hamonic

Nyi were holding out for Hall. And it sounds more and more teams were holding out for Hall regardless of who the oilers were asking for.

I think some posters are hoping trades they wanted to happen as opposed to ones the team's willing to do

For me an example of what this thread is about is the lack of two Vancouver moved. Hamuis and Vrbata. Dallas even said they thought they had a player (hamuis) but when the team did not call back they had to go to plan B. I believe this was Russell if I am not mistaken. Dallas got Hamuis and Vancouver ended up without anything. With Vrbata the asking price was too high. When a guy like Purcell got a 3rd..reports are nucks wanted a 1st.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nyi were holding out for Hall. And it sounds more and more teams were holding out for Hall regardless of who the oilers were asking for.

I think some posters are hoping trades they wanted to happen as opposed to ones the team's willing to do

For me an example of what this thread is about is the lack of two Vancouver moved. Hamuis and Vrbata. Dallas even said they thought they had a player (hamuis) but when the team did not call back they had to go to plan B. I believe this was Russell if I am not mistaken. Dallas got Hamuis and Vancouver ended up without anything. With Vrbata the asking price was too high. When a guy like Purcell got a 3rd..reports are nucks wanted a 1st.

Yes I know you get cranky.

Hamonic-ebs should have happened for hf purposes only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad