Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Columbus not trading back from 3rd overall to accumulate cap relief/more assets and still get their guy.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
May have already been mentioned but didn't the Leafs have a crazy offer for Luongo during the shortened season that Gillis turned down? Had that happened the Canucks would likely still have Schneider+ the assets. Vancouver might still be a contender had he not gotten greedy.
Crazy? No. It was something like Scrivens + 2 2nds.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Crazy? No. It was something like Scrivens + 2 2nds.

That was at the deadline. They apparently offered more before then (the rumour was Bozak, Kadri, and a 2nd round pick, but who knows if this is true). It's also unclear that, if the rumour was true, it was Gillis or Luongo that vetoed the trade.

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
I'm really sad about the Hall for Shattenkirk trade, assuming it was all but a done deal before he declined to extend his contract.

Hall would be amazing on the Blues...

This thread SCREAMS Spezza for Oshie. Spezza ended up getting traded for nothing, and I think it's safe to say Blues fans would in retrospect choose Spezza over Brouwer.

Big miss for both teams.

In my opinion, the Brouwer deal was fine. He was a great fit here, and really showed up in the playoffs. As much as Oshie was missed, I think both guys worked out for each team's needs at the time.

Edit: Ooof. And that cap hit...easy choice on the Brouwer trade there.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm really sad about the Hall for Shattenkirk trade, assuming it was all but a done deal before he declined to extend his contract.

In my opinion, the Brouwer deal was fine. He was a great fit here, and really showed up in the playoffs. As much as Oshie was missed, I think both guys worked out for each team's needs at the time.

The fact shattenkirk would not consider an extension sends a message to teams he is heading on the open market

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That deal Garth Snow offered to move from 4OA to 2OA.

link

If you go by this link and look at the value offered, (and knowing league-average is 20%), that's a paltry 7% penalty to move up.

I would argue against using a football draft pick value chart to assign value to hockey draft picks. 2nd round picks are worth a lot more in football than hockey.

At the time, I argued that the package that the Islanders offered up sounded more sexy than it was.

Without the benefit of hindsight, I posed the question of "Who would you have taken with the extra picks?" in this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=53053553

Not many people answered (since picks are always more valuable until you attach a name to it).

Popular choices include:

Matt Finn - Split time between the AHL/ECHL so far during his two pro seasons.

Martin Frk - Nice breakthrough season in the AHL in 2015-16, but will he be able to crack an NHL roster before he loses waiver exemption?

Brian Hart - Split time between AHL/ECHL in his rookie pro year.

Dalton Thrower - Spent majority of pro time in ECHL.

Nic Kerdiles - Development got derailed a bit from concussions.

One fan took the challenge and came up with:

2nd-34th-Mike Winther-F
3rd-65th-James Melindy-D
5th-125th-Seth Griffith-F
6th-155th-Simon Fernholm-D
7th-185th-Nick Ebert-D

I put out my hypothetical list knowing that it would more than likely look very underwhelming in a few years:

34. Matt Finn
65. Scott Kosmachuk
103. Gemel Smith
125. Niklas Tikkinen
155. Collin Olson
185. Anton Slepyshev

Were those hauls worth not picking the guy you want at #2?

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
The fact shattenkirk would not consider an extension sends a message to teams he is heading on the open market

Maybe. I think that's harder to say for sure, with all of the factors involved. The rumored desire to play out East seems likely.

I think had it been Hall in New Jersey, and Jersey was a team he wanted to play for, it could have happened.

ForSpareParts*

Not sure if it was posted.

To DET
Dion

To TOR
Mantha
Weiss
Salary retained

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Years back, when he was disgruntled in Columbus and Kaberle showed up in camp completely out of shape after signing a massive contract in Carolina then proceeded to stink up the joint, things sounded like essentially a done deal between the two teams:

Brassard for Kaberle and a 2nd was what it sounded like, and sounded like it was as good as done and then just... didn't happen for whatever reason.

Whitney to LA for a 2nd + Slava Voynov

Mike Fisher to Carolina for Boychuk + #12 pick

Supposedly we nearly traded the #5 pick in 2013 for Seguin, but Chia preferred sending him out of the East. Not 100% sure if it was straight up (I think it might have been) or if there were other pieces involved but IIRC none of them would have been major.

Last edited:

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That was at the deadline. They apparently offered more before then (the rumour was Bozak, Kadri, and a 2nd round pick, but who knows if this is true). It's also unclear that, if the rumour was true, it was Gillis or Luongo that vetoed the trade.

I was under the impression that it was Vancouvers owner who thought they could get more for Luo.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

This is what I was referring to, in hindsight I would call that a much better return than what they eventually got. Maybe it was all speculation after all but if not it was a lost opportunity.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Years back, when he was disgruntled in Columbus and Kaberle showed up in camp completely out of shape after signing a massive contract in Carolina then proceeded to stink up the joint, things sounded like essentially a done deal between the two teams:

Brassard for Kaberle and a 2nd was what it sounded like, and sounded like it was as good as done and then just... didn't happen for whatever reason.

Whitney to LA for a 2nd + Slava Voynov

Mike Fisher to Carolina for Boychuk + #12 pick

Supposedly we nearly traded the #5 pick in 2013 for Seguin, but Chia preferred sending him out of the East. Not 100% sure if it was straight up (I think it might have been) or if there were other pieces involved but IIRC none of them would have been major.

Didn't think that was the price for Whitney. Also didn't whatever that deal fall through because Whitney wanted one extra year on an extension than LA wanted to give?

sidenote: Whitney is actually going to be a caddy in the summer Olympics this year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
About 99% sure that was the deal. Whitney + 2nd for Voynov.

Dead right about the extension. Whitney nixed the deal via NTC when LA said they weren't going to talk a long-term deal with him.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

Edit: Ooof. And that cap hit...easy choice on the Brouwer trade there.

Really eh? That's very surprising to me. Spezza is 29th in league scoring since being dealt to Dallas with 125 points.

Over that same time period, Brouwer is 141st with 82 points.

Points aren't everything, but that's a pretty sizeable gap (52%).

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
Really eh? That's very surprising to me. Spezza is 29th in league scoring since being dealt to Dallas with 125 points.

Over that same time period, Brouwer is 141st with 82 points.

Points aren't everything, but that's a pretty sizeable gap (52%).

Definitely, but assuming we tied him up long term like the Stars did, that contract would be terrible for the Blues as we've got a lot of guys we have coming up that need to get paid.

It's why Backes didn't get what he was looking for, and why Elliott was traded, and Brouwer not re-signed.

It's not that Spezza's bad. I think he's a great player, but $7.5 a season is a big financial pill to swallow.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I'll start with my team, the Wild.

Blows my mind that Fletcher couldn't move one of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba for a top 6 forward of similar age.

Any others?

You would think BOS would've moved a C for D help, especially if they knew they were going to sign Backes.

I'm with you; if I had to renew season tickets today instead of last March maybe I don't do it. Specifically at the end of the season I believed they would make significant changes to the roster because this team seriously under-achieved all season. I'm okay with the Stall signing but bringing the hold group of misfits back leaves me pissed off to say the least!

Mad Brills*

I think scrivens + 2 2nds was done, but ownership wanted more from the leafs, and it fell apart

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I'm wondering how many Oilers fans wish Chia would have dealt RNH for Dumba instead of Hall for Larsson? Rumor is Chia wanted the Wild to add a 2nd round pick and the Wild got tired of waiting for Oilers management to get back to them with a decision.

The Wild moved on and the Oilers got screwed by the Devils.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
If they trade Dumba for an expansion protected asset then they don't lose another player in the expansion draft.

They still lose a forward then most likely.

This isn't hard. Not sure why people don't get it. A "good" trade for the Wild should have nothing to do with the draft.

If we trade a D man for forward help, then we have to protect 4 D men to avoid losing another, and we lose a decent forward.

If we keep our D men, then we likely lose one to the draft, but keep all our forwards.

Regardless, the results are identical. Only thing that changes is the order in which it happens. So, unless the trade is in our favor initially, it's really irrelevant in the end.

And if we could have found a way to package a NMC veteran, it would have likely been done already. I've seen a few mentions about Pomminville, who could probably be had for free, in all honesty.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Definitely, but assuming we tied him up long term like the Stars did, that contract would be terrible for the Blues as we've got a lot of guys we have coming up that need to get paid.

It's why Backes didn't get what he was looking for, and why Elliott was traded, and Brouwer not re-signed.

It's not that Spezza's bad. I think he's a great player, but $7.5 a season is a big financial pill to swallow.

Ya that's true, but I think the Blues are close to winning the cup so sometimes mortgaging the future for the big trophy isn't a bad idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->