Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pronger for Michalek, Carle and a 1st.

Did the Sharks decline that or the Oilers? I suspect the latter because the final trade was (and better)

Chris Pronger to Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 2007 first round pick (#30-Nick Ross), 2008 conditional first round pick (if Ducks reach 2006-07 finals) (#22-Jordan Eberle), 2008 second round pick (#53-Travis Hamonic) on 2006-07-03

Oilers picked Riley Nash after moving up with the Nick Ross pick (Yotes).

The Maple Leafs offer was better but was nix-ed by NMC (?) of Kaberle or Steen.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
EDM should have traded RNH for D help and didnt.

Hot take here. What defenceman equal to or better than Larsson was available for RNH?

Not only was moving Hall a mistake, but their depth chart and cap structure doesnt warrant a need to have RNH anymore as a $6 mil 3C

Our cap structure never warranted it as Draisaitl and McDavid were Oilers before the Hall trade, or did you not notice that small detail?

They just gave up one of the best LWs in the game for a #2/3 dman

No one was offering better.

Why? We fully expect to lose a top 4 D in the expansion draft. In all honesty, a "fair" trade would actually have been bad for us, as we would be losing another D man a year later for nothing.

Trade one now packaged with one of your less desirable NMCs (Pominville/Koivu) + protect 8 skaters so all 4 remaining stay behind. It's not that hard. Yes, you stand to lose a fringe forward like Niederreiter, but most teams will be giving up something they don't really want to. If he's too much, Fletcher can always offer Vegas a pick to take someone like Zucker instead (who they might anyway because marketing).

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
I'll start with my team, the Wild.

Blows my mind that Fletcher couldn't move one of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba for a top 6 forward of similar age.

Any others?

You would think BOS would've moved a C for D help, especially if they knew they were going to sign Backes.

Last deadline for me the Eriksson/Shattenkirk swap should've happened. Would've given the Blues the extra push they needed in the POs and Boston would've had its top 4 RH D we so badly need. I'd have taken Lehtera when it was all said and done if some other pieces were worked out. So I guess that's the one on my mind since it's recent(ish).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Mike Green after his 30 goal season. Think it was pretty obvious no matter what you thought of Green it was unlikely he would hit 30 again.

haha I remember I cashed in on that cause I wasn't convinced he would ever duplicate that again so I traded Green after that season or after the following season when he put up 76 points(cant remember off hand) in my keeper pool and received a very young OEL, Brett Connolly and 3 future 1sts... obviously Connolly didn't pan out but the guys I ended up getting with those 1sts was insane and OEL is a stud obviously

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I heard about something like Regher+Kobasew for Joe Thornton back in 05. Iggy-Thornton...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The one that pops to my mind instantly is the Souray for Hartnell one a few years ago. Soon after that trade was declined by us, Souray went on to go through a spell of injuries, a feud with management, and a buyout. Hartnell went on to remain a consistent 20+ goal scoring power forward. Would have been a huge win for us had we done that deal.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I'll start with my team, the Wild.

Blows my mind that Fletcher couldn't move one of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba for a top 6 forward of similar age.

Same, shocked and disappointed that he couldn't accomplish that. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall and see if there were chances that he passed on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
EDM should have traded RNH for D help and didnt.

Not only was moving Hall a mistake, but their depth chart and cap structure doesnt warrant a need to have RNH anymore as a $6 mil 3C

They just gave up one of the best LWs in the game for a #2/3 dman

The only issue with this is that we don't know which d-man Minnesota was dangling. If it was Spurgeon for Nuge, you might have a point as its still a 2/3 d-man to us, but if it was Brodin or Dumba, no thanks. Nuge and Larsson > Hall and Brodin/Dumba.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Kind of the opposite but I remember I (along with a lot of Pens fans and hockey fans in general) were pushing hard for Eberle for Letang before Letang re-upped for 7 years. All to get Sid a winger that we wanted so bad. My goodness am I glad Ray did not trade Tanger away.

That thought never came close to crossing Shero/Rutherford's mind, regardless of who was barking for it.

The only issue with this is that we don't know which d-man Minnesota was dangling. If it was Spurgeon for Nuge, you might have a point as its still a 2/3 d-man to us, but if it was Brodin or Dumba, no thanks. Nuge and Larsson > Hall and Brodin/Dumba.

Wait, what?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm shocked a deal couldn't get worked out.

You'd think at the end of the day, RNH for Spurgeon would have happened. Both sides feel like they win and lose a bit. Both fix their roster issues.

Jwagner4144

Jun 15, 2015
Flyers had a trade in place at the draft in 2014 to send vinny lecavlier to the preds but they shot it down because we signed weber to a huge offer sheet

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Both the Hall and Subban trades

In fact I think it should've been Hall for Subban, imagine Subban constantly setting up McDavid.

But Hall getting traded for only Larsson...

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Seguin for Vanek.

Chiarelli offered Seguin to Buffalo first, for Vanek (and possibly something else) but Darcy Regier thought Vanek was worth more... (bangs head on wall)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As an Avs fan, I think not trading Stastny in the final year of his contract is something that should have been handled differently. I completely understand why they didn't move him at the TDL, but, in hindsight, the team would likely be in a much better place if they'd made the difficult choice to trade him during a playoff run.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dany Heatley for Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid

If that deal occurred we would not have Laurent Brossoit or Oscar Klefbom today. But we would have a ****ing all-star.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Oilers offered Pronger for Kaberle, Steen and a 1st

Only reason it didn't happen is because we wanted to give Stajan instead of Steen.

Considering we traded Steen for Stempniak a year or so later, we should have just taken the Pronger deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad