Speculation: What Trade Should Have Been Made, and Wasn't?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll start with my team, the Wild.

Blows my mind that Fletcher couldn't move one of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba for a top 6 forward of similar age.

Any others?

You would think BOS would've moved a C for D help, especially if they knew they were going to sign Backes.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
I was suprised Subban got traded...also surprised he didn't go to EDM... seemed like a natural fit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was suprised Subban got traded...also surprised he didn't go to EDM... seemed like a natural fit

The trade that was made, and shouldn't have been? I was shocked. Closest parallel is the Roy trade, but Subban was making nothing like the noise Roy was before his trade.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
F U Sather for not doing everything in your power to make sure the Grachev MDZ deal for Stamkos happened all those years back. Gotta seal the deal my man.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
I'll say trading Iginla to the Bruins. Seemed like they offered a better package than Pittsburgh, but in the end Iggy chose the Pens.

The deal was something like Khohlachev + 1st if I recall correctly

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Recently? I wish Lou could have found a taker for PAP/Grabner....in the past....Kaberle for Carter, didn't happen because a fax machine malfunctioned.:laugh:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm surprised Khoklachev hasn't been traded to a team that will give him a reasonable chance. I recognize that the Bruins' top 9 is locked in, but they could certainly use some defensive depth.

FireMacT

Oct 13, 2013
GMPC OMG!!!
Recently? I wish Lou could have found a taker for PAP/Grabner....in the past....Kaberle for Carter, didn't happen because a fax machine malfunctioned.:laugh:

IIRC, The Kaberle trade was blocked by Kaberle himself (and his NTC)

The fax machine incident was Jonus Hoglund to Boston for then prospect Kyle Wanvig (who would have gone back into the draft)

I'll add Heatley (back when he was real good) to the Oil for 3 warm bodies - Cogs, Penner and Smid - would have been sweet.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
F U Sather for not doing everything in your power to make sure the Grachev MDZ deal for Stamkos happened all those years back. Gotta seal the deal my man.

Wasn't that a deal he discussed with those two knob owners the Bolts had? Once some of the hockey people in Tampa got wind, they threw water on it immediately?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Sather could have done anything else.... Reminds me of the time as a kid I tried to trade a handful of pennies to my sister for a loonie; once she consulted with my parents that deal wasn't happening. :laugh:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
+1 for Subban being available but not ending up in EDM.

to lesser extent Weber not ending up in EDM after being talked about on these boards for 4+ yrs

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Kessel for Kaberle plus the 7th overall in 2009. I'm not sure if there were any other minor pieces but those were the three biggest ones involved.

Didn't go through because there was some confusion on who was adding the first between Boston and Toronto.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Kessel for Kaberle plus the 7th overall in 2009. I'm not sure if there were any other minor pieces but those were the three biggest ones involved.

Didn't go through because there was some confusion on who was adding the first between Boston and Toronto.

Didn't both teams think they were getting the first and both teams backed off when they realize they were the ones expected to give up the first? Too funny :laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
IIRC, The Kaberle trade was blocked by Kaberle himself (and his NTC)

The fax machine incident was Jonus Hoglund to Boston for then prospect Kyle Wanvig (who would have gone back into the draft)

I'll add Heatley (back when he was real good) to the Oil for 3 warm bodies - Cogs, Penner and Smid - would have been sweet.

You are correct....ageing, it isn't pretty.....:cry:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Mike Green after his 30 goal season. Think it was pretty obvious no matter what you thought of Green it was unlikely he would hit 30 again.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As an Avalanche fan there was a video floating around with the Pens gm saying he could get pick 23 from the Avs to flip in another deal. It was also widely rumored that the Avs were offering PAP+ to get Neal. Neal ended up going to Nashville for Hornqvist+ but I cant help but think that Neal could have been an Av for PAP + 23rd overall. That would have resulted in us not drafting (and ultimately not offering a contract to) Connor Bleackley and paying Jarome Iginla's corpse in free agency.

for other teams wasn't there a rumor that Montreal offered Price, Subban and Pacioretty for Vincent Lecavalier?

jaystelestrator

Jun 21, 2012
Kind of the opposite but I remember I (along with a lot of Pens fans and hockey fans in general) were pushing hard for Eberle for Letang before Letang re-upped for 7 years. All to get Sid a winger that we wanted so bad. My goodness am I glad Ray did not trade Tanger away.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
EDM should have traded RNH for D help and didnt.

Not only was moving Hall a mistake, but their depth chart and cap structure doesnt warrant a need to have RNH anymore as a $6 mil 3C

They just gave up one of the best LWs in the game for a #2/3 dman

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I'll start with my team, the Wild.

Blows my mind that Fletcher couldn't move one of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba for a top 6 forward of similar age.

Any others?

You would think BOS would've moved a C for D help, especially if they knew they were going to sign Backes.

Why? We fully expect to lose a top 4 D in the expansion draft. In all honesty, a "fair" trade would actually have been bad for us, as we would be losing another D man a year later for nothing.

jaystelestrator

Jun 21, 2012
As an Avalanche fan there was a video floating around with the Pens gm saying he could get pick 23 from the Avs to flip in another deal. It was also widely rumored that the Avs were offering PAP+ to get Neal. Neal ended up going to Nashville for Hornqvist+ but I cant help but think that Neal could have been an Av for PAP + 23rd overall. That would have resulted in us not drafting (and ultimately not offering a contract to) Connor Bleackley and paying Jarome Iginla's corpse in free agency.

for other teams wasn't there a rumor that Montreal offered Price, Subban and Pacioretty for Vincent Lecavalier?

I think it was rather obvious, Rutherford was looking for bodies back and not picks when dealing Neal. Horny>>>PAP+1st given our win now situation.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

The actual offer was Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, a 16-year old Galchenyuk, the future rights to Alex Radulov, 10 firsts and a 4th.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think it was rather obvious, Rutherford was looking for bodies back and not picks when dealing Neal. Horny>>>PAP+1st given our win now situation.

Oh I'm not arguing that the Pens made the better choice. I'm just saying that Rutherford said on the draft floor that he can get 23 from Colorado. With all the rumors of the Avs wanting Neal I cant help but assume he was the piece coming back. Other parts were probably going to be added but I don't know what else JR would have been moving to get 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad