Confirmed with Link: Update: JD resigns to take NYR gig (John Davidson Leaving for NYR?)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Really salient point. Add to it the fact that he really hasn't done all that much here.

He's hardly accomplished all that much here. 4 playoff appearances. One playoff series victory. The 2013-14 playoff appearance was done with other administration's players and organizational people for the most part. The next few seasons (3-4) will be part of his legacy. There's more than a fair chance that this franchise has seen its best days for the short term. His legacy here will likely be mostly mediocre.

He's made more than enough money by this point in his life. If he goes to NY, it's all about bright lights and recognition. Raw ego.
Enh. Timing and context have an impact on legacy. "Sure, it may not look like much, but look at what they were before."

Reactions: Fred Glover

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Blue Jackets are expected to make every attempt to keep Davidson, by adding years and dollars to the three-year extension (through 2021-22) he signed last year. But the Rangers will not be outbid in these situations.

But if Davidson leaves the Blue Jackets … where will that leave the Blue Jackets? There would appear to be three options.
Hire from the outside

This seems highly unlikely, as there would appear to be no obvious candidate who could seamlessly take Davidson’s place.
These jobs are typically filled by former players with long, legendary histories within the organization (Cam Neely in Boston) or pre-eminent general managers and executives looking for a new challenge (Brendan Shanahan, who left the league offices to join Toronto).
The only time an organization would hire an “outside voice” to take over their department is if ownership was unhappy with the direction of the club, as the Blue Jackets were in 2012. That’s not the case seven seasons later.
Not every NHL club has that role in their front office, either. Calgary did not replace president of hockey operations Brian Burke when he stepped aside last April nor did Vancouver replace Trevor Linden when he stepped down last July.
When Davidson left the St. Louis Blues for Columbus in 2012, the Blues did not replace him. They simply spread his duties across the front office, mostly to GM Doug Armstrong.
Promote from within

If the Blue Jackets insisted on replacing Davidson, they could elevate Kekalainen from general manager, promote Bill Zito to general manager from assistant general manager and hire a replacement for Zito, perhaps director of player personnel Basil McRae, director of hockey operations Josh Flynn or assistant GM of AHL Cleveland Blake Geoffrion.
Kekalainen, the NHL’s first European-born GM, has spent only seven seasons on the job, though. He’s the league’s eighth-longest tenured GM, but is that enough to ascend to club presidency?
If the Blue Jackets are worried about losing Zito to another club this summer — he reportedly interviewed with expansion Seattle on Wednesday, and has been mentioned with other clubs — this would be a way to keep him.
And if Kekalainen threatens to go to the Rangers along with Davidson in some capacity, this could be a necessary move to keep him. Most around the NHL don’t see it coming to this, however.
Don’t replace Davidson

Across the NHL, this is seen as the most likely choice should Davidson leave for New York.
It might be a reach to say Davidson’s work in Columbus is done, but the job he was hired to do — bring stability and structure to the hockey operations department — has been achieved. Hard to believe, but he’s already been in Columbus one season longer than he spent with the Blues.
In that time, Kekalainen has established himself as one of the most respected GMs in the NHL — willing to swing a big trade and sign a big contract, not afraid of a contract stalemate, and never too good to hit the road and get back to his roots with a scouting trip.
Kekalainen, along with Davidson, signed a three-year extension last fall, keeping him under contract through the 2021-22 season.
If Davidson leaves and nothing else changes, Kekalainen could be in for an extension and perhaps a larger payday. Sources told The Athletic he’s in the bottom half of the league among GM compensation.

How Blue Jackets might respond to a John Davidson departure...

Last edited:

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Many seem unconcerned about JD's likely departure. As this has been our best days as a franchise, I guess I hold him in higher regard than many.

Some have said maybe he's not replaced and Jarmo and Zito will continue as GM and asst. GM. Well, one guy remains from less glorious days in Business Prez Priest whose role diminished when JD arrived. I sure as hell hope JD's exit doesn't enrich Priest's influence.

We are about to lose our best forward ever, our best goalie ever, and potentially our best President ever. And people somehow think this team isn’t going to miss a beat.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Davidson has clearly lost the front office.

There's rumors of a Ottawa/Duchene-like hidden tape recording of Jarmo and Siren in the back of a Skyline Chili trashing JD's scouting and franchise tagline ability, but I cant confirm it.

Reactions: Johansen2Foligno

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We are about to lose our best forward ever, our best goalie ever, and potentially our best President ever. And people somehow think this team isn’t going to miss a beat.

We will still have our best defenseman and PLAYER, best defensive core, best center (Dubois), best coach, and best GM, ever.

Atkinson, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Texier, Foligno.

That's before they (re)sign anybody else like Duchene or Skinner.

Reactions: mikeyp24

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

What does JD do exactly? Maybe a lot, I don't know.

giphy.gif

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sounds like he’s rehashing Portzline’s daydreaming from his Athletic article. Priest is in love with Hitch, hence his infamous quote “Hitchcock hockey is Blue Jackets hockey” but I don’t see how it would play with Jarmo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
lol. Now he's debunking himself. What an assclown.

I'm not sure what "running the name up the flagpole" means, but I took it as "floating a name", essentially nothing. In that case he debunked someone else's ideas (might have been only Porty).

I agree with those who say that Hitchcock isn't the management type. He'd trade for a team of Andrew Murray's.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm not sure what "running the name up the flagpole" means, but I took it as "floating a name", essentially nothing. In that case he debunked someone else's ideas (might have been only Porty).

I agree with those who say that Hitchcock isn't the management type. He'd trade for a team of Andrew Murray's.
He walks it back so quick its almost as if Ken himself called him up and was like "WRONG!"

Reactions: thebus88

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, when I saw the first tweet, I thought there is no way that Hitch would ever want to be a President of Hockey Ops. Sure enough, he probably called the guy and told him just that and hence the second tweet.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Absolutely want Krueger here

Why?

Count me in as somebody who would gladly take Hitchcock in the CBJ front office or as an assistant to Torts.

Even at his age and size Hitch can still tie his skates and actually ice skate. That is all.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because I think he'd be a major asset to this team either way; I think he's fine as a manager, and he was my choice for head coach before Torts was hired (and, admittedly, for a long time after Torts was hired too, but Torts has won me over since ;) ).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Why?

Count me in as somebody who would gladly take Hitchcock in the CBJ front office or as an assistant to Torts.

Even at his age and size Hitch can still tie his skates and actually ice skate. That is all.

I'd need video proof of this.

Reactions: Monk

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Isn't it funny (I mean funny sad)........we fans sit here in Mid-May knowing that Davidson, Bobrovsky and Panarin are all gone plus Duchene, Dzingle, and Zito are probably gone as well.

Columbus........a team that has only had a recent modicum of limited success, but the entire league wants to strip its assets. Ironic.

Reactions: Toe Pick
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Isn't it funny (I mean funny sad)........we fans sit here in Mid-May knowing that Davidson, Bobrovsky and Panarin are all gone plus Duchene, Dzingle, and Zito are probably gone as well.

Columbus........a team that has only had a recent modicum of limited success, but the entire league wants to strip its assets. Ironic.
We are the anti-Vegas

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Or all of the assets cant wait to get out of Dodge.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Or all of the assets cant wait to get out of Dodge.
I only got that sense from Bob. It sure seemed to me like he knew last September this was it. Maybe Bread did also, but I got the feeling he was happy playing here and having fun. I never got that Bread and Torts didn't mix well. I thought Davidson has represented Central Ohio very well and I thought he was very happy here.

I thought Dzingle was truly excited to be back in Columbus. But maybe it was just the fact that it wasn't Ottawa. Duchene seemed to embrace this. By July 4th we will know how much he embraced it. I have never heard a word about Zito not wanting to be in Columbus.

Maybe they all had a periodic secret poker game and bashed the hell out of Central Ohio and you are correct. A mass jail break awaits. I'll stick with my "league stripping assets" theory.

Reactions: db2011

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3