Confirmed with Link: Update: JD resigns to take NYR gig (John Davidson Leaving for NYR?)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Yeah, as I said in the other thread, I don’t really care if JD leaves. He might have guided Jarmo along early in his GM-hood, but Jarmo definitely doesn’t need him anymore. JD doesn’t provide anything Jarmo doesn’t already, or can’t in the future. He already speaks like a PHOP too.

I ultimately trust Jarmo to build a successful, “modern” NHL team than I do JD. That being said, I wish him nothing but the absolute best.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Is Jarmo the lead replacement candidate? Who says that Jarmo is the new guys choice?
I don't think Jarmo gets much input on the position as that usually runs just the opposite. Alot can happen as these things go down and guys want THEIR guys in positions. Not saying this is the case here but hey...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Is Jarmo the lead replacement candidate? Who says that Jarmo is the new guys choice?
I don't think Jarmo gets much input on the position as that usually runs just the opposite. Alot can happen as these things go down and guys want THEIR guys in positions. Not saying this is the case here but hey...
Jarmo most likely is named both. He has turned this franchise around, as evidenced by all the young talent coming.

Reactions: GoJackets1

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Many seem unconcerned about JD's likely departure. As this has been our best days as a franchise, I guess I hold him in higher regard than many.

Some have said maybe he's not replaced and Jarmo and Zito will continue as GM and asst. GM. Well, one guy remains from less glorious days in Business Prez Priest whose role diminished when JD arrived. I sure as hell hope JD's exit doesn't enrich Priest's influence.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Many seem unconcerned about JD's likely departure. As this has been our best days as a franchise, I guess I hold him in higher regard than many.

Some have said maybe he's not replaced and Jarmo and Zito will continue as GM and asst. GM. Well, one guy remains from less glorious days in Business Prez Priest whose role diminished when JD arrived. I sure as hell hope JD's exit doesn't enrich Priest's influence.

Agreed. I think some people here think JD was just a face. IIRC he had a hand in every part of this organization from top to bottom. No, he might not have been the architect of anything, but I think his influence was heavily relied upon by Jarmo, Zito, and many other people in the organization. He will be missed dearly by the FO, IMO.

I wouldn't worry about Priest. I think he knows his expertise lies within the business of hockey and not within hockey ops. If they don't fill JD's role, it'll just be more responsibilities for Jarmo and Zito.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If you don't think Jarmo agreed with or at least signed off on Torts being the coach I don't know what to tell you. JD and Jarmo worked closely together on everything, I'm sure he was on board.
Sure , you make it work.... was he Jarmos choice, looking at the types of players Jarmo is drafting, I highly doubt it. Torts was a Jd move all along.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Sure , you make it work.... was he Jarmos choice, looking at the types of players Jarmo is drafting, I highly doubt it. Torts was a Jd move all along.

"The decision to hire Tortorella one week ago came after much deliberation by Davidson, team assistant general manager Bill Zito and general manager Jarmo Kekalainen.

Shortly before they made the choice to call hire Tortorella, the three sat in Davidson’s home for 11 hours, from morning into the evening, deliberating what went wrong with the team and how to fix it."

John Davidson on why John Tortorella 'was our guy' to fix Blue Jackets

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

If Jarmo agreed to have Torts as coach, and acquired players who don't work well with Torts' style that's on Jarmo, not Torts. Drafting is one thing, because you can't draft people based on the coach because coaches change all the time, but acquiring via trades and signings is another.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Does JD's spot even need to be filled?

All I care about is keeping Jarmo and the scouting staff in place, most notably Ville Siren at the draft podium :popcorn:

100% agree. If we ever draft in the 1st round again I hope we pick somebody with a really convoluted name. Entertainment value for days.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If hesays he hasn't spent 15 seconds thinking about it he is lying if he has a clause in his contract to go to the Rangers if they offered him.
I assume he was referring to any time since Sather announced he was stepping down.

And do you have a source w/r/t that clause? I can't find anything of the sort myself. I wouldn't be surprised if there is such a thing, but. :dunno:

* * *​
And let the speculation run wild how Mr. build-from-within suddenly became Mr. all-in.

What the hell did he care if the cupboard was bare as he was cashing in his one-way ticket back to Broadway.

And don’t tell me he didn’t know about this before the deadline. I buy that as much as the “I haven’t given it 15 seconds of thought” bs.
Oh yeah. That's what I come here for - the persecution complex fueled conspiracy theories. I mean, yeah, Sather didn't announce he was stepping down until about a month and a half after "all in" started, but why let facts get in the way of the opportunity to feel put upon?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Oh yeah. That's what I come here for - the persecution complex fueled conspiracy theories. I mean, yeah, Sather didn't announce he was stepping down until about a month and a half after "all in" started, but why let facts get in the way of the opportunity to feel put upon?

Right. Because there is not an ounce of speculation anywhere to be found on a message board. <eye roll>

And here’s some more speculation to put into your pipe to smoke — who’s to say JD won’t eventually pull Jarmo and said scouts into the bright lights with him? Howson wasn’t long for his role after JD got here.

I personally think it sucks he’s leaving. I like this management team a great deal.

MOD EDIT: fix broken quote markup

Last edited by a moderator:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Right. Because there is not an ounce of speculation anywhere to be found on a message board. <eye roll>
I'm not sure how that has anything to do with anything. My objection is to this presumption of malign intent on the part of JD and/or the rest of the front office w/r/t actions taken at the trade deadline, in active defiance and dismissal of known facts. It strikes me as going out of one's way to abruptly become even more bitter about the situation, which I find curiously counterproductive. (Why put in the extra effort to be depressed?)

And here’s some more speculation to put into your pipe to smoke — who’s to say JD won’t eventually pull Jarmo and said scouts into the bright lights with him? Howson wasn’t long for his role after JD got here.
That would be a concern, but I'm personally holding off on that worry unless and until JD actually takes the Rangers job.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I assume he was referring to any time since Sather announced he was stepping down.

And do you have a source w/r/t that clause? I can't find anything of the sort myself. I wouldn't be surprised if there is such a thing, but. :dunno:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/john-...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

"JD: It has long been believed Davidson’s contract with Columbus includes a clause that allows him to leave if offered the Rangers’ presidency. The official request is expected in short order following the Blue Jackets’ second-round elimination on Monday. Barring a dramatic, unforeseen development, it should not be long before one of the most popular individuals in recent franchise history returns to New York at the top of the directory."​

Reactions: Viqsi
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I have no beef with JD, but I'm having a difficult time getting worked up over his potential departure.
Maybe because you realize one guy is just one guy, not the whole franchise.

Let’s get really crazy and speculate Davidson goes to the Rangers and is able to fire their front office and take Jarmo and even Zito with him.

I think this would be a very attractive job for a top GM candidate. Lots of young talent, a great pipeline and a supportive ownership group.

The sky just rarely actually falls

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Jarmo most likely is named both. He has turned this franchise around, as evidenced by all the young talent coming.

Always interesting to see people cherry pick things to fit the narrative they want to believe.

Your endless rants about Torts would have us believe that somehow this has all happened in spite of him instead of him being a key contributor. Jarmo, Torts, JD and more are responsible for the turnaround. Together.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/john-davidson-is-a-rangers-lock-so-let-the-artemi-panarin-frenzy-begin/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

"JD: It has long been believed Davidson’s contract with Columbus includes a clause that allows him to leave if offered the Rangers’ presidency. The official request is expected in short order following the Blue Jackets’ second-round elimination on Monday. Barring a dramatic, unforeseen development, it should not be long before one of the most popular individuals in recent franchise history returns to New York at the top of the directory."​
Cool. I'm still not 100% sold, but at this point that's more my own prejudice questioning Brooks's information rather than a reasoned argument. ;)

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
My thoughts on JD are similar to my thoughts on Torts. He was a really good hire when things were really bad, both to change the direction/culture of the organization and to gain some respect around the league.

I’m also not sure he’s the guy to get us to the top and, while appreciative, would not be devastated to see him go at this point.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Cool. I'm still not 100% sold, but at this point that's more my own prejudice questioning Brooks's information rather than a reasoned argument. ;)
He may and he may not. Portzline has a new article about it where he also brings up the point of working for an owner like James Dolan. The McConnell family basically lets him do what he wants and trusts him to do the job so would you want to work for an owner who is so hands on like him?

Reactions: SuperGenius

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He may and he may not. Portzline has a new article about it where he also brings up the point of working for an owner like James Dolan. The McConnell family basically lets him do what he wants and trusts him to do the job so would you want to work for an owner who is so hands on like him?

Really salient point. Add to it the fact that he really hasn't done all that much here............

4 playoff appearances. One playoff series victory. The 2013-14 playoff appearance was done with other administration's players and organizational people for the most part. The next few seasons (3-4) will be part of his legacy. There's more than a fair chance that this franchise has seen its best days for the short term. His legacy here will likely be mostly mediocre.

He's made more than enough money by this point in his life. If he goes to NY, it's all about bright lights and recognition. Raw ego.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperGenius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad