Confirmed with Link: Update: JD resigns to take NYR gig (John Davidson Leaving for NYR?)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who plays LW if we don't sign him? I want to sign him if he wants to be here (as long as the contract makes sense). The way I look at it, Dzingel and Texier are probably our top two LW. If we pay them a combined $6 million next year ($3 million per LW for the top 2 lines) I will be happy.

I would be happy for that too if that's for next year. Dzingel is due a long term deal though.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I would be happy for that too if that's for next year. Dzingel is due a long term deal though.

$4 million to $5 million for a 2nd or 3rd line LW for the next 5 years is fine, especially if Texier is our 1st line LW making less than $1 million for the next 2 years and probably $3 million to $4 million after that.

Reactions: EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
$4 million to $5 million for a 2nd or 3rd line LW for the next 5 years is fine, especially if Texier is our 1st line LW making less than $1 million for the next 2 years and probably $3 million to $4 million after that.

The Texier contract has nothing to do with it. We really don't know what the Jackets cap situation is going to be like in a few years. I suppose there's a good chance that Dzingel would still be tradable at that point.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Dzingle at 5x5 would be what I hope for. Tex making so little helps. With only Jenner and Fligs being our other LW its such a pos of weakness. Foudy and Bremstrom are LW too though right? Reasonably Bread leaving might allow us to fill the entire lefr side with cost controlled young skill guys.

Also JD leaving would suck because what he brought with him in ideas and seeing those ideas realized right now in real time. We are exactly what he said he wanted to build. A brick by brick net out team. Lets win this for him and Jarmo boys.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Texier contract has nothing to do with it. We really don't know what the Jackets cap situation is going to be like in a few years. I suppose there's a good chance that Dzingel would still be tradable at that point.

Assuming B&B are gone and the Korpi/Elvis/VV/Tarasov group produces reasonably priced goalies I think the cap will not be a problem if we sign Dzingel for $5mm per. I'd rather not pay that much but if necessary it works imo.

The Jackets are almost certainly going to lose a D in the expansion draft which will free up $ or Jenner 0r Dzingel goes and $ are freed up.

If somehow one or both of the B's decide to re-sign it becomes much more problematic to manage the cap.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Assuming B&B are gone and the Korpi/Elvis/VV/Tarasov group produces reasonably priced goalies I think the cap will not be a problem if we sign Dzingel for $5mm per. I'd rather not pay that much but if necessary it works imo.

The Jackets are almost certainly going to lose a D in the expansion draft which will free up $ or Jenner 0r Dzingel goes and $ are freed up.

If somehow one or both of the B's decide to re-sign it becomes much more problematic to manage the cap.

If Panarin and Duchene sign, we don't sign Dzingel, IMO. Or, if we do, that is because we are trading other players away to free up cap space.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There has been heavy speculation that John Davidson, the Columbus Blue Jackets' president of hockey operations, could become the next president of the New York Rangers after the season. "It's speculation. Obviously, Glen [Sather] has stepped down. He's a great friend of mine. We played together in St. Louis back in 1973. We see each other in Western Canada, in the mountains, during the summer. We're friends," Davidson told us on the ESPN ON ICE podcast. "I have not talked to anybody with the Rangers. I'm busy with the Columbus Blue Jackets. There's nothing. And until there's something, there's nothing. I don't worry about it or think about it. We have our hands full here."

There has been heavy speculation that John Davidson, the Columbus Blue Jackets' president of hockey operations, could become the next president of the New York Rangers after the season. "It's speculation. Obviously, Glen [Sather] has stepped down. He's a great friend of mine. We played together in St. Louis back in 1973. We see each other in Western Canada, in the mountains, during the summer. We're friends," Davidson told us on the ESPN ON ICE podcast. "I have not talked to anybody with the Rangers. I'm busy with the Columbus Blue Jackets. There's nothing. And until there's something, there's nothing. I don't worry about it or think about it. We have our hands full here."

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Mac McConnell on Davidson.PNG In today's Dispatch, John McConnell is quoted about Davidson and the Rangers, "No one from New York has asked me to speak with John, and he hasn't spoken to anyone from New York.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It would be no great loss.

Usually the Rangers pick up big performers long past their prime. With JD it would only be a case of long past his prime.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think the Rangers would reach out until after the CBJ season was over. Hopefully, this will be right around mid-June.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Best case scenario , JD to Ny , Torts gets enticed to become Pres of Hockey operations , and we hire Sheldon Keefe as new coach of the Blue jackets

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Regarding the Rangers, into Day Three of this week’s organizational meetings pending the anticipated inauguration of John Davidson that most surely will be the biggest one ever:
1. JD: It has long been believed Davidson’s contract with Columbus includes a clause that allows him to leave if offered the Rangers’ presidency. The official request is expected in short order following the Blue Jackets’ second-round elimination on Monday. Barring a dramatic, unforeseen development, it should not be long before one of the most popular individuals in recent franchise history returns to New York at the top of the directory.
Davidson will establish the vision for the operation, though in this case that presumably means reinforcing the organization’s commitment to the building program that was adopted 15 months ago and is now in full swing, if not yet full bloom. But the question is whether (and to what degree) to attempt to accelerate the process via free agency and trades.

2. To that end, no one will be able to give general manager Jeff Gorton and the Rangers a better read than Davidson on pending unrestricted free agent Artemi Panarin, who had 87 points (28 goals, 59 assists) for Columbus. Of course, the Blueshirts will be in on the 27-year-old elite offensive talent, but at what price and for how long in an expected bidding war with the no-state tax Panthers and perhaps the Islanders and Blackhawks? The front office will at least be as educated as possible in making those determinations.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
And let the speculation run wild how Mr. build-from-within suddenly became Mr. all-in.

What the hell did he care if the cupboard was bare as he was cashing in his one-way ticket back to Broadway.

And don’t tell me he didn’t know about this before the deadline. I buy that as much as the “I haven’t given it 15 seconds of thought” bs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And let the speculation run wild how Mr. build-from-within suddenly became Mr. all-in.

What the hell did he care if the cupboard was bare as he was cashing in his one-way ticket back to Broadway.

And don’t tell me he didn’t know about this before the deadline. I buy that as much as the “I haven’t given it 15 seconds of thought” bs.

I think JD has had a good sense, long before the deadline, that he'd get the New York job. It had already been reported at that point that it was his job if he wanted it. I think it was Friedman who said it.

But your implication that he went all-in because he was leaving is ridiculous. Jarmo, ownership, the entire FO, they've been in lockstep about not selling for futures since last summer. Jarmo said it over and over again that they were only trading Artemi and Bob if it was for players that helped them win now. Perhaps you didn't believe him. They were building towards going for it in 2021 or so, but then Panarin and Bobrovsky forced them to go for it early. That's very easy for me to believe because I've been advocating the same path since the day last July when we got the bad news about Panarin.

(Oh, and the cupboards are hardly bare, they didn't trade any top prospects).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can't believe anyone even cares if JD leaves for New York. He can be replaced by a stuffed shirt and save the org maybe a million a year. Just tell the new guy to say "we're going north" every ten minutes and we'll be fine.

It's not like years ago when this club was desperate for a respected voice to helm the hockey operations. Jarmo could probably do it and be GM at the same time, if he can keep Zito.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Two playoff series victories in 14 or so years as a Team President. He's not going to be nominated to the HHOF as an executive. Was (assuming he's gone) he awful here? No. Was he great? No. Won't be hard to replace.

He's a perfect fit for the Rangers. A big name who's well past his prime- Messier (2nd time around), Gretzky, Sather, Marcel Dionne, Theo Fleury, etc.. The only difference is that the other has-beens actually had been very, very good. Davidson is in the "never was" category as a top executive.

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
A new face with a new message and fresh ideas might be a needed tweak. One hurdle has been leapt this spring now maybe move the organization towards an "elite" status or as close to that as as this market allows. A winning tradition is evolving. Improve on the game day experience, gain fan support, become known as a club that takes care of its players so it becomes a destination that piques players interests. All doable by a sensible hockey guy....you just gotta find him...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Since he was hired as president of hockey operations before the 2012-13 season — a turbulent time for the franchise — John Davidson has brought a sense of calm and consistency to the organization.

He’s spent the past seven years extolling the virtues of central Ohio and raving about the hockey market, and the last year trying to persuade Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin to sign long-term contracts with the Blue Jackets.
But the New York Rangers are hard to say no to, especially when you have roots with the city and franchise as both a former player and broadcaster. The Rangers have targeted Davidson to become their new president of hockey operations or some such title.

Davidson has said that he hasn’t given the Rangers’ job a moment of his attention, but that’s hard to believe. The New York Post reports that the Rangers don’t have anybody else on the list to replace Glen Sather, who stepped down last month.

Those close to Davidson say he’s torn by the decision because he genuinely loves Columbus and his family is very happy here. Also, signing up to work for Rangers owner James Dolan is not for the faint of heart.
But it’s one of the plum gigs in the entire NHL. It would be hard for him to say no.
Davidson and Kekalainen signed three-year extensions before this season, sources told The Athletic, and assistant GM Bill Zito signed a two-year extension. It’s unclear what sort of “out” clauses Davidson might have in his contract, but it’s hard to imagine Blue Jackets president of business operations Mike Priest standing in his way.
If Davidson leaves, would the Blue Jackets try to replace his position? More and more teams have presidents of hockey operations but not every team does. A hire from the outside would certainly be disruptive to the chemistry, but that’s not always a bad thing.

Would the Blue Jackets promote Kekalainen to Davidson’s old job and elevate Zito to GM? Or would they leave Davidson’s spot vacant, as it was for the first 12 years of the organization?
One name to keep in mind: Ken Hitchcock, who won’t be back as the Oilers coach next season and might finally be ready to hang up his coaching skates.

Hard to say if Hitchcock would be deemed a viable candidate, but the guess here is that he’d be interested. Priest, it should be noted, has always held Hitchcock in high regard.
Percentage chance Davidson stays: 25 percent

Summer exodus: A look at the Blue Jackets players — and...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad