Confirmed with Link: Update: JD resigns to take NYR gig (John Davidson Leaving for NYR?)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Good news for Jarmo in my opinion. Interesting to see how much was Jarmo and how much was JD. Having 2 minds like that behind the scenes is good for awhile but at some point you probably start to clash a little too much

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think you guys just ran into teams that went on to win the cup. I’d say one or two of those years you guys would have had a good chance st the ECF or beyond if you had just gotten through the 1st rd matchup. It’s too bad you didn’t draw Washington again, I think the jackets matchup well with them

Reactions: mikeyp24

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
There is a high probability that this team becomes a total dumpster fire. Can't say I blame him.

There is very little chance it becomes a dumpster fire.

Not only do the Jackets have a deep forward group, the Metro has a majority of it's teams either rebuilding or declining and the Jackets have worthwhile replacements for their UFA. Additionally, they would have roughly 30 million to spend this off season for more depth, not to mention guys like Elvis, Tex, Foudy, Bermstrom, Peake and others still in the pipeline. And that's if they don't re-sign a single one of their UFA's as well, which I'd put Dzingel as likely and Duchene as a toss up.

We'll see, but I could see the Jackets enter a quick rebuild/retool/reload/whatever and be back in the playoff picture next year or the year after.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There will always be a temptation to manage a team like the Rangers. There really isn't a higher profile NHL job in the US and Toronto is really the only larger in Canada. Not sure there is anything to this, but he's brings legitimacy to the CBJ and it's been good for the franchise. We'll see if there is anything to this and if he wants to live in NY. In his place I wouldn't, but I have no idea what he wants out of the rest of his career.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Please support your opinion. I'm not seeing what you are seeing and would like to understand.
I'm not the quoted person but:
1. Goalies are unproven without Bob.
2. offense has some guys who can score - but will they be as proficient without Bread? I don't doubt Cam and PLD will get there points.
3. For all the talent we have on the blue line - we get hurt a lot and many games they just don't look good.
4. We pretty well always have Cap Room but very rarely do we sign anyone via free agency (mostly because elite offensive guys don't see this as a good place to be). Maybe you address that via trade (like we have a lot in the past) but limited draft picks means doesn't help those trades.
5. A coach who is tough to play for. Relates back to #4, and a coaching change could help.

So again if you take Bread and Bob off this team how many teams can you line up the 20 players and say we are better than them. More than likely maybe 5-8 we will be better than. Another 10-12 you could maybe look and say "IF" this then we can compete (we get good goaltending, Murray and Werenski stay healthy, Tex can be a legit top 6 forward, etc). But a lot of IFs to say in 2019-20 that we are a playoff team.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
2. offense has some guys who can score - but will they be as proficient without Bread? I don't doubt Cam and PLD will get there points.
3. For all the talent we have on the blue line - we get hurt a lot and many games they just don't look good.
4. We pretty well always have Cap Room but very rarely do we sign anyone via free agency (mostly because elite offensive guys don't see this as a good place to be). Maybe you address that via trade (like we have a lot in the past) but limited draft picks means doesn't help those trades.
5. A coach who is tough to play for. Relates back to #4, and a coaching change could help.

So again if you take Bread and Bob off this team how many teams can you line up the 20 players and say we are better than them. More than likely maybe 5-8 we will be better than. Another 10-12 you could maybe look and say "IF" this then we can compete (we get good goaltending, Murray and Werenski stay healthy, Tex can be a legit top 6 forward, etc). But a lot of IFs to say in 2019-20 that we are a playoff team.

The only one I find myself agreeing with here is the goalie situation. It's possible a dip in goalie performance makes for a rough season - but given Bob's immense struggles at the beginning of this year, I think we saw a preview of about how bad it could be. And they still found a way to win a lot of games.

As for 2-5.. I just don't think they will have nearly the negative impact some fear. Don't even think #3 is true except for Murray.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I know you didn't post the original comment. Does becoming a potential non-playoff team equate to a total dumpster fire?

To @JacketFanInFL
If Davidson stays does it stave off becoming a "total dumpster fire?"
If the team remains a borderline in/out of playoffs team, are they a dumpster fire?
If they keep sneaking in to the playoffs for a several years but never win a round, is it a dumpster fire?
If they stay in the playoff race, but come up short like Montreal this year, Tampa two years ago, Boston at about the same time, are they a dumpster fire?

How do you define a total dumpster fire?

I think the jury is still out on the TDL moves. Will the Jackets sign Dzingel? Will they be able to sign Duchene? Is it a good idea to sign either or both of them?
Will one of the goalies step up and become a good #1? How much better can Anderson, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Nutivaara, PLD & Kukan become?
Is Texier the real deal?
Can the Jackets go out and sign a top line winger to replace Panarin? Do they have the replacement in the system?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The presence of IFs and question marks is nothing unique to the Jackets. They're unavoidable for every team.

Coming in to this year Tampa had to worry about whether Vasilevskiy would be able to re-establish himself after playing poorly in the second half of last year, and whether the D would be as good with Stralman falling off and McDonagh not as good as he used to be. It turned out every aspect of their roster was improved.

Obviously the Jackets have more IF's than Tampa did, but as you go into the middle of the league, there's plenty of IF's everywhere. I can see how if you're making "ifs" into negatives for the Jackets and not applying the same exercise to other teams, that it would lead you to believe that this team is going to do badly next year.

Edit: The Jackets situation actually reminds me a lot of the questions swirling around the Flames coming into this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the actual points you raise, issues #2-#5 are bound up in coaching, in my opinion, and I like the outlook for the Jackets if they get a good new coach.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bread had what 58 assists? That's a lot of goals he was involved in that someone else has to provide. I don't know if I see that. Maybe D&D combined will do that - I think they were close to that this year combined.

LW is a big question mark to me. If Texier and Dzingel don't step up to the top 2 lines Jackets will suffer. I don't see them signing Skinner and other than him there isn't much to chose from.

If Duchene doesn't sign dumpster fire becomes more of a chance.

Lots of lose ends floating around that will be answered over the summer and during camp. Real answers won't be known till the season is underway.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks for those that responded. Appreciate it.........really. Not being a wise acre.

How about this .............. define the following: "Dumpster Fire".
Maybe that will help me understand.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I'm not sure I can give the guy that much credit that the roof falls in when he leaves...

I fully believe this organization needs some sort of shake up be it minor or extreme. Seems to be stuck in "just ok" mode to me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
  • Davidson declined to comment on reports that he is among the candidates — and perhaps the lead candidate — to replace Glen Sather as president of the Rangers. Davidson said he wasn’t sure where the process stood after Sather announced his retirement earlier this month, but it’s clear that he doesn’t want to be a distraction while the Blue Jackets are in the playoffs. Davidson, who was hired by the Blue Jackets in the fall of 2012, is a former Rangers player (1975-83) and longtime broadcaster (1983-2006), and a beloved figure in New York City.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Seems as if the Rangers think JD is a sure thing:

https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/rangers-all-in-on-john-davidson-gamble-that-now-must-work/

I personally will hate to lose JD as he is very well connected and respected throughout the league.

I also wonder whom else he will eventually pull from this organization and if anyone will be hired/promoted to replace him.
With all the buzz around Bill Zito lately, I wonder where he fits in here. Does Jarmo get promoted to POHO and Zito promoted to GM?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Bread had what 58 assists? That's a lot of goals he was involved in that someone else has to provide. I don't know if I see that. Maybe D&D combined will do that - I think they were close to that this year combined.

LW is a big question mark to me. If Texier and Dzingel don't step up to the top 2 lines Jackets will suffer. I don't see them signing Skinner and other than him there isn't much to chose from.

If Duchene doesn't sign dumpster fire becomes more of a chance.

Lots of lose ends floating around that will be answered over the summer and during camp. Real answers won't be known till the season is underway.

I don't want them to sign anyone. If Panarin and Bobrovsky leave, we need to use next year to find out what we have at LW/RW and G. Why overspend for a FA (or for a player through a trade) if we have cheaper/younger options already in our organization?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't want them to sign anyone. If Panarin and Bobrovsky leave, we need to use next year to find out what we have at LW/RW and G. Why overspend for a FA (or for a player through a trade) if we have cheaper/younger options already in our organization?

I'm thinking on similar lines, it seems. If we need a stopgap, get a stopgap, don't pay a long term price to fill a short run vacancy. If you can get a long term upgrade, that's different. (I'm thinking Dzingel doesn't qualify as a long term upgrade, given the strength of our wings and wing prospects).

Reactions: Jackets16

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm thinking on similar lines, it seems. If we need a stopgap, get a stopgap, don't pay a long term price to fill a short run vacancy. If you can get a long term upgrade, that's different. (I'm thinking Dzingel doesn't qualify as a long term upgrade, given the strength of our wings and wing prospects).

Dzingel is a proven NHL player who had 56 points this year. He's fast. He can play LW where I think we are weak, at least from a NHL proven perspective. I'm guessing Jarmo didn't give up 2 seconds and Duclair just for a playoff rental. I don't advocate giving him an 8 yr $5 million deal but 4 mill for 5 or 6 years doesn't seem wacky to me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dzingel is a proven NHL player who had 56 points this year. He's fast. He can play LW where I think we are weak, at least from a NHL proven perspective. I'm guessing Jarmo didn't give up 2 seconds and Duclair just for a playoff rental. I don't advocate giving him an 8 yr $5 million deal but 4 mill for 5 or 6 years doesn't seem wacky to me.

Most guesses have Dzingel coming in above $5m per.

I know the guys stats, they don't jump out to me as someone who's particularly proven. I look at him and I look at Texier and I don't feel like Dzingel gives me a more predictable performance. I have no idea if he'll score for us or not.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Most guesses have Dzingel coming in above $5m per.

I know the guys stats, they don't jump out to me as someone who's particularly proven. I look at him and I look at Texier and I don't feel like Dzingel gives me a more predictable performance. I have no idea if he'll score for us or not.

Who plays LW if we don't sign him? I want to sign him if he wants to be here (as long as the contract makes sense). The way I look at it, Dzingel and Texier are probably our top two LW. If we pay them a combined $6 million next year ($3 million per LW for the top 2 lines) I will be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad