Confirmed with Link: Update: JD resigns to take NYR gig (John Davidson Leaving for NYR?)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm not willing to throw in the towel before i see what the younger guys can do. But if they really struggle next year... If the team wants commitment from fans, it needs to first secure commitment from its star players and senior leaders.

That's not on Jarmo or John McConnell though. Ownership spends the money. They are highly professional and do things "the right way." Jarmo has put his best foot forward in order to make the team as competitive as possible. We don't want GMs to be overly conservative and just tank for draft picks.

Now, if the team has a bad run of luck right at the point when it was about to establish itself, hopefully the league will be wise enough to step in behind the scenes and see that things "turn out ok" in the name of market growth and increases in revenue.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm not willing to throw in the towel before i see what the younger guys can do. But if they really struggle next year... If the team wants commitment from fans, it needs to first secure commitment from its star players and senior leaders.

That's not on Jarmo or John McConnell though. Ownership spends the money. They are highly professional and do things "the right way." Jarmo has put his best foot forward in order to make the team as competitive as possible. We don't want GMs to be overly conservative and just tank for draft picks.

Now, if the team has a bad run of luck right at the point when it was about to establish itself, hopefully the league will be wise enough to step in behind the scenes and see that things "turn out ok" in the name of market growth and increases in revenue.
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is an unimportant development.

Most of JD's job seemed to be to chat with Jarmo about occasional developments. That they aren't going to try and replace him might tell you that they don't need him. It will save the organization a good bit of money.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
JD was brought in to have someone make sure the rebuild/retool was done correctly and to ensure that whoever in charge wouldn't do something wild or reckless.

The team has made the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 seasons and missed the playoffs by a point in the shortened season which wouldve made it 5 of 7.

I think it's safe to say JD isn't really needed anymore.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is an unimportant development.

Most of JD's job seemed to be to chat with Jarmo about occasional developments. That they aren't going to try and replace him might tell you that they don't need him. It will save the organization a good bit of money.

Really? You know what he did on a day to day basis? Good grief. They sat right next to each other every home game. The idea that Davidson just sat around and gave an occasional thought is ludicrous.

I'm glad the blowhard salesman is gone. However, the institutional dynamics WILL change. Whether they do for the better or worse is to be seen.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Really? You know what he did on a day to day basis? Good grief. They sat right next to each other every home game. The idea that Davidson just sat around and gave an occasional thought is ludicrous.

I'm glad the blowhard salesman is gone. However, the institutional dynamics WILL change. Whether they do for the better or worse is to be seen.

What did you think JD's job was? What does he do? What does the president of hockey operations typically do? Please tell me about it.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
So much for lip service. "Columbus is a hidden gem, players should be happy to be there, we are this, we are that..."

I don't care about him leaving, but that's not a good look.

If by not a good look, you mean, not a good look for the CBJ, I don’t see it that way. I think the NYR are literally the only team he would’ve left for, and everyone pretty much knows it. He was there for 30+ years. Much the same way I (and I’m assuming basically everyone) don’t look at it as an indictment against Tampa that Yzerman left for Detroit.

Panarin/Bob (although I do think it was largely on our end for him, but we’ve had our debate and this isn’t the thread)/Duchene (if he doesn’t re-sign) is a much worse look than JD leaving.

If by not a good look, you mean not a good look for JD, I also don’t see it that way, for basically the same reasons as the first paragraph.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What did you think JD's job was? What does he do? What does the president of hockey operations typically do? Please tell me about it.
You're the one who seems to think he knows. I'll assume that for several million per year he had some pretty major responsibilities. I'll wait for JDs job description from you.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You're the one who seems to think he knows. I'll assume that for several million per year he had some pretty major responsibilities. I'll wait for JDs job description from you.

I said "it seems like ...", which should indicate that I don't claim to know. I'd love to hear some actual knowledge from you. You've been making extremely bold claims about JD's terrible job performance for years now so I thought you might actually know what his job description is. I guess it was all BS.

I also don't think one should assume that just because someone makes several million a year that their role is anymore essential than a senior consultant. That's not a safe assumption in business, and I don't think it is in hockey either.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
As a ranger fan just wanted to say that that’s one of the most classiest statements a team as ever released for anyone let alone someone leaving to take the same role on a different team. PURE CLASS!!!
1- It wasen't that bad.
B- Who cares what you think?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Sorry I will try to simplify.

CBJ owner has spent to the cap in recent years. Owner also took the high road and has not attempted to impede the aspirations of coaches and management.

General Manager went out of his way to field a winner instead of sitting back and just selling off assets for draft picks.

Despite this, team is being faced with a major step backwards.

Maybe instead of just waiting on some positive karma, the league could quietly assist a growing market. Doesn't even have to be something scandalous. An outdoor game would be nice.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
We will still have our best defenseman and PLAYER, best defensive core, best center (Dubois), best coach, and best GM, ever.

Atkinson, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Texier, Foligno.

That's before they (re)sign anybody else like Duchene or Skinner.
Id add the names Jones and Werenski to the list of names you mentioned to go along with what you said about Gavrikov in the first paragraph :nod::laugh:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
JD is going to a great location which, imo, will be the class of the Metro for years to come. Maybe not next year but soon.

They have a lot of good young players
They are going to get a potentially great player at #2 in the draft plus another 1st and 2 second round guys.
The potential to sign Panarin and Erik Karlsson
Deep pockets

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->