Confirmed with Link: Update: JD resigns to take NYR gig (John Davidson Leaving for NYR?)

nhlfan51

May 18, 2019
I am concerned that JD might have influenced Bob and Panarin not to sign with jackets as JD had to know Ranger's job was going to be open. Did JD try very hard to get those two to stay in Columbus.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am concerned that JD might have influenced Bob and Panarin not to sign with jackets as JD had to know Ranger's job was going to be open. Did JD try very hard to get those two to stay in Columbus.

This is a preposterous suggestion.

This isn't a mafia lord switching crime families, NHL execs and players play a game for a living and they know it. They are decent people.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah but what the hell does an Alternate governor do?

I normally zone out whenever Elliotte Friedman goes on about front office issues (it's like half of his podcast) but I vaguely remember the alternate governors being the execs that sit in for the owner at the board of governors meetings twice a year, where they decide on rule changes and run the league. Priest must be the other alternate governor Jarmo is joining.

I can't remember but I don't think both alternates go to the meeting. It's just one of them, or perhaps neither if the owner goes, which I don't think ours does. So the alternate potentially ends up just being a nominal Grand Poobah sort of title.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I read the article in the NY Post and besides supplying vision, probably in his first few years revamping the front office, making big changes in scouting personnel and being the face of the team to the public, I'm unclear on what JD did. Since I don't know, I have no idea what kind of impact his loss will have.

I'm still pretty sure that one guy doesn't make or break the entire team. Personally, I'd like to see the Jackets spend as much as possible on scouting, which they may be doing already for all I know.

I imagine teams like Boston, Tampa and Detroit must have great scouting staffs. They seem to get franchise type players later in the draft. I think going forward, that will be key to any CBJ success.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I read the article in the NY Post and besides supplying vision, probably in his first few years revamping the front office, making big changes in scouting personnel and being the face of the team to the public, I'm unclear on what JD did. Since I don't know, I have no idea what kind of impact his loss will have.

I'm still pretty sure that one guy doesn't make or break the entire team. Personally, I'd like to see the Jackets spend as much as possible on scouting, which they may be doing already for all I know.

I imagine teams like Boston, Tampa and Detroit must have great scouting staffs. They seem to get franchise type players later in the draft. I think going forward, that will be key to any CBJ success.

I think if the POHO puts in a GM that he comes to put a lot of trust in, as JD has in Jarmo, then he really limits his own role. They share a vision and there isn't really a lot of room for JD once the visioning is done. If he comes to distrust Gorton, another rookie GM, then that would give JD more of a job, but it would be a worse situation. JD didn't get to hire the GM there, and the owner Dolan is known as a meddling type, so that might be uncomfortable.

I agree on scouting. Detroit hasn't drafted a franchise player in twenty years, by the way.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think if the POHO puts in a GM that he comes to put a lot of trust in, as JD has in Jarmo, then he really limits his own role. They share a vision and there isn't really a lot of room for JD once the visioning is done. If he comes to distrust Gorton, another rookie GM, then that would give JD more of a job, but it would be a worse situation. JD didn't get to hire the GM there, and the owner Dolan is known as a meddling type, so that might be uncomfortable.

I agree on scouting. Detroit hasn't drafted a franchise player in twenty years, by the way.

While your position makes sense, I'm a bit unclear. I wonder if JD has more input than many of us think? I don't know if he is a good decision maker or not, but the Blues and Blue Jackets have become competitive during his tenure. It seems he has a good network in the business. Who knows how that affects operations?

You may not consider Dylan Larkin a franchise player; I know some do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While your position makes sense, I'm a bit unclear. I wonder if JD has more input than many of us think? I don't know if he is a good decision maker or not, but the Blues and Blue Jackets have become competitive during his tenure. It seems he has a good network in the business. Who knows how that affects operations?

You may not consider Dylan Larkin a franchise player; I know some do.

JD had a lot of input in the Torts hire, it was his idea. He also I'm sure had a lot of conversations with Jarmo about the state of the team last summer because of the special situation.

But whenever he's asked about particular players or moves the Jackets might make, his answer is always roughly - "I don't deal with that, that's Jarmo's job." What else is there on the hockey side, beyond the GM, the coaches, the players?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
But whenever he's asked about particular players or moves the Jackets might make, his answer is always roughly - "I don't deal with that, that's Jarmo's job." What else is there on the hockey side, beyond the GM, the coaches, the players?

I just want to jump in here to make it known and for people to realize that NOT EVERYTHING that is said in public and/or to reporters if the absolute truth. Whether that's comments from the players about other players, or Torts and Jarmo/JD.

Some people here seem to take certain things MUCH too literal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just want to jump in here to make it known and for people to realize that NOT EVERYTHING that is said in public and/or to reporters if the absolute truth. Whether that's comments from the players about other players, or Torts and Jarmo/JD.

Some people here seem to take certain things MUCH too literal.

Yeah, no crap. But I believe this one.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Since folks were wondering what sorts of things JD did while he was here...

How John Davidson's departure to the Rangers will affect...

Kekalainen said he expects “a few more things on my plate without J.D. here,” perhaps more public appearances, more trips to the NHL board of governors’ meetings, etc.

But the biggest change will be Kekalainen’s direct relationship with majority owner John P. McConnell and club president Mike Priest, who handles the business side of the operation.

If Kekalainen wants to offer center Matt Duchene an eight-year, $64 million contract, he’ll be the one — not Davidson — who has to justify such a massive deal to ownership. If Kekalainen can’t hold onto Duchene, who’s an unrestricted free agent as of July 1, that, too will need to be explained.

Blue Jackets’ owners — there are minority owners beyond McConnell — have typically held quarterly meetings, where they’re apprised of the inner workings of the club, the short-term outlook and the long-term plan.

This will fall to Kekalainen now, too, but he’s not looking for a new title, and he won’t move into Davidson’s office.

“I’m very happy with the job I’ve got,” Kekalainen said. “It’s all I need.”
(emphasis added)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Since folks were wondering what sorts of things JD did while he was here...

How John Davidson's departure to the Rangers will affect...

(emphasis added)

I think that speaks more to what Jarmo will have to add, the quarterly owners meetings and the semi-annual board of governors meetings.

The most valuable thing JD did for the team was provide a valuable voice, and made it so we had a known and respected leader at the top of the organization.

At this point I think Jarmo is known and respected enough around the league. He represents the team well, we don't need someone else above him. (Plenty of clubs have only one combined GM - POHO position).

-----------------

The Ken Holland case is instructive for how the POHO job is viewed. He was offered the "promotion" up to POHO, and his response was basically that he's too young to do it, making it seem akin to retirement. Ken Holland is 63. You can guess what Jarmo would say to giving up his GM duties, he's 52.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that speaks more to what Jarmo will have to add, the quarterly owners meetings and the semi-annual board of governors meetings.
Well, yeah; that's the topic of the article. ;) But in suggesting what JK will have to do now that JD's gone, it does imply what JD did.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

The most valuable thing JD did for the team was provide a valuable voice, and made it so we had a known and respected leader at the top of the organization.

At this point I think Jarmo is known and respected enough around the league. He represents the team well, we don't need someone else above him. (Plenty of clubs have only one combined GM - POHO position).

I agree. I'm assuming most of the owners got tired of the blow hard IDWT.
Then it was Priest, who likely is a good businessman, but not necessarily a voice people trust to make the team great.
JD had the pedigree.
He is leaving us in a better place, but at same time I don't think we need to fill that spot, unless it does overwhelm Jarmo. I don't know Jarmo enough but some of us get drained pretty quickly when we have to be face to face with other people (namely being the face of a franchise). I hope he's successful, but would not be shocked if at some point another seat fills the POHO someday.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I listened to JD on CBJ in 30 with Bobby Mac and something struck me as weird and I hear a lot of people do this. The constant reinforcing about what a great city Columbus is. I like Columbus, born and raised there plus spent most of my adult life in the city, but it's a little odd having to be told how great it is all the time. I was always under the impression if you have to tell someone how good looking you are or how smart you are or how great you are, you're probably not. Maybe I haven't paid attention to it, but I never hear this coming from any other franchise.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I listened the JD on CBJ in 30 with Bobby Mac and something struck me as weird and I hear a lot of people do this. The constant reinforcing about what a great city Columbus is. I like Columbus, born and raised there plus spent most of my adult life in the city, but it's a little odd having to be told how great it is. I was always under the impression if you have to tell someone how good looking you are or how smart you are or how great you are, you're probably not. I never hear this about coming from any other franchise.

Its an inferiority complex for the franchise no doubt. And within the past few years the reputation has now spread to other teams.

When players/managers/whatever say how great the city is here/its a hidden gem/how first class the organization is it's the same to me as being told you have a great personality from a girl/guy. Which is basically what you're saying as well.

This is one of the reasons I don't think Matt Duchene has interest in staying.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I listened to JD on CBJ in 30 with Bobby Mac and something struck me as weird and I hear a lot of people do this. The constant reinforcing about what a great city Columbus is. I like Columbus, born and raised there plus spent most of my adult life in the city, but it's a little odd having to be told how great it is all the time. I was always under the impression if you have to tell someone how good looking you are or how smart you are or how great you are, you're probably not. Maybe I haven't paid attention to it, but I never hear this coming from any other franchise.
It happens all the time with small market teams. I can particularly vouch for it with Nashville.

Reactions: majormajor

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Its an inferiority complex for the franchise no doubt. And within the past few years the reputation has now spread to other teams.

When players/managers/whatever say how great the city is here/its a hidden gem/how first class the organization is it's the same to me as being told you have a great personality from a girl/guy. Which is basically what you're saying as well.

Agreed but our media needs to stop asking the questions as well, same goes for Jody with the “how bout this crowd?????” lame interviews post game, it’s getting incredibly annoying. The players/ coaches wouldn’t likely mention it otherwise except the media keeps asking. Also can we not do the “how great Columbus is” spots with Cam and Foligno on FS Ohio next season please

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe I haven't paid attention to it, but I never hear this coming from any other franchise.

I don't want to exaggerate it, because I've noticed it from some places from time to time, like Carolina and Winnipeg. But I also see it a lot with the Jackets and it's so annoying. I cringe at Jody's postgame interview everytime he asks about "these great fans in Columbus". Yeesh!

I also think it's a character trait of the city of Columbus, not just the team. There is an insecure complex in the city. A friend in Columbus told me that you should expect to hear "do you like it?" frequently when you visit. I feel like I see part of that complex on the boards too. I think the "You don't like it in Columbus, well f*** you" attitude directed at Panarin is part of it. I think it would be a healthier attitude to not care what every player thinks.

What reason is? That Columbus isn't a desirable place to live, or that he doesn't want to have to talk about it?

And wasn't it you just saying he was 80% staying?

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I also think it's a character trait of the city of Columbus, not just the team. There is an insecure complex in the city. A friend in Columbus told me that you should expect to hear "do you like it?" frequently when you visit. I feel like I see part of that complex on the boards too. I think the "You don't like it in Columbus, well **** you" attitude directed at Panarin is part of it. I think it would be a healthier attitude to not care what every player thinks.

Oh, absolutely. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

I try not to fault folks for it, because, frankly, I feel it myself - aside from some brief time taking college courses at BGSU, I've lived here literally my entire life, and have been known to get testy whenever Them Big City Folk start acting like that makes me a second-class citizen or something. ;) But it is fundamentally an irrational thing, and so I try not to take it too seriously.

Unless folks start going on about Cleveland or, G-d forbid, Cincinnati being more deserving of one of the pro teams we have. Seriously, **** those guys. :rant: :)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh, absolutely. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

I try not to fault folks for it, because, frankly, I feel it myself - aside from some brief time taking college courses at BGSU, I've lived here literally my entire life, and have been known to get testy whenever Them Big City Folk start acting like that makes me a second-class citizen or something. ;) But it is fundamentally an irrational thing, and so I try not to take it too seriously.

Unless folks start going on about Cleveland or, G-d forbid, Cincinnati being more deserving of one of the pro teams we have. Seriously, **** those guys. :rant: :)

Oh feel free to get pissed when folks from New York or Toronto or wherever start acting superior. They deserve all the flack they can get.

But other than that, it's a nice team and a nice town. Some people like it, some don't. La-di-frickin-da.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I listened to JD on CBJ in 30 with Bobby Mac and something struck me as weird and I hear a lot of people do this. The constant reinforcing about what a great city Columbus is.
Oh yeah. last year too, when they were talking about Cole staying/leaving JD wouldn't shut up, that playing in Columbus is a privilege and we won't overpay you, because great city, great team, bright future and blah blah. And here he is... This i why i find him so hypocritical even though i don't care about him leaving.

And wasn't it you just saying he was 80% staying?

He was sarcastic.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad