GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am so excited for Najee Harris.

I could also use some summer football talk...what guys does everyone like that could potentially come out next year?

Last edited:

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
I'd LOVE to watch Evan Neal, G/OT from Bama, manhandle linemen with Kevin Dotson. Neal is freaking enormous! I've seen a lot of varying mocks anywhere from top 5 to the mid teens. I think he could get drafted very high, though. I'm guessing the Steelers will pick between 18-23 (although I'd love to pick at 32).

CB's that are interesting: Kaiir Elam (famous bloodlines which the Steelers seem to like), Sevyn Banks, Andrew Booth Jr, Josh Jobe

G/OT: Rasheed Walker, Luke Matthews, Chasen Hines, Charles Cross

WR: Chris Olave, John Metchie III

LB: Zach Harrison

I'm leaning away from a QB in round 1 because I don't think Ben is retiring and Rudolph stupidly cock blocked himself from leaving if Ben returns.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd LOVE to watch Evan Neal, G/OT from Bama, manhandle linemen with Kevin Dotson. Neal is freaking enormous! I've seen a lot of varying mocks anywhere from top 5 to the mid teens. I think he could get drafted very high, though. I'm guessing the Steelers will pick between 18-23 (although I'd love to pick at 32).

CB's that are interesting: Kaiir Elam (famous bloodlines which the Steelers seem to like), Sevyn Banks, Andrew Booth Jr, Josh Jobe

G/OT: Rasheed Walker, Luke Matthews, Chasen Hines, Charles Cross

WR: Chris Olave, John Metchie III

LB: Zach Harrison

I'm leaning away from a QB in round 1 because I don't think Ben is retiring and Rudolph stupidly cock blocked himself from leaving if Ben returns.

I don't think this is a great QB class, and I legitimately think Ben will be around for another 2-3 years. I will watch Howell. I'll absolutely catch Liberty to see Malik Willis. I'm also paying attention to Phil Jurkovec.

I like your OL list. Luke Matthews is an interesting guy to pay attention to since we took Moore and Matthews obviously has bloodlines.

Kyle Hamilton (S-Notre Dame) is also an interesting guy that I'd love to see paired with Minkah.

Dan Faalale OT-Minnesota is also a guy I find intriguing. I don't think I've ever seen a tackle that large.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think this is a great QB class, and I legitimately think Ben will be around for another 2-3 years. I will watch Howell. I'll absolutely catch Liberty to see Malik Willis. I'm also paying attention to Phil Jurkovec.

I like your OL list. Luke Matthews is an interesting guy to pay attention to since we took Moore and Matthews obviously has bloodlines.

Kyle Hamilton (S-Notre Dame) is also an interesting guy that I'd love to see paired with Minkah.

Dan Faalale OT-Minnesota is also a guy I find intriguing. I don't think I've ever seen a tackle that large.

Harris is going to extend Roth’s career another couple seasons IMHO.

He will allow Roth to be a game manger that can throw the ball around the yard when needed, ala ‘98 Elway.

Not sure it’s a good thing, but it is the most likely scenario.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Harris is going to extend Roth’s career another couple seasons IMHO.

He will allow Roth to be a game manger that can throw the ball around the yard when needed, ala ‘98 Elway.

Not sure it’s a good thing, but it is the most likely scenario.

Without question. I don't think it's a bad thing, honestly. I don't think Ben lacks arm talent. I don't think there is anything wrong with Ben's decision making. I think what hurt Ben the most last year was teams could pin their ears back against a really lackluster offensive line and a non-existent running game. Ben knew this, and his eyes were rarely down field. The drops HAVE to stop. 31 drops cannot happen.

Harris does a lot of things we need. He demands respect and attention. He gives Ben that safety valve that can rack up YAC. He and Friermuth can both block which will help a really young, unproven offensive line unit. Our receiving corps is actually quite good, they are just really inconsistent.

If I were the front office I'd try to find a trade for Washington, because he isn't going to see a single ball this year with the addition of Freirmuth and Harris.

I think Najee Harris has the ability to absolutely burst on to the NFL scene here. I'm not sure a lot of people know how f***ing good he actually is.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Without question. I don't think it's a bad thing, honestly. I don't think Ben lacks arm talent. I don't think there is anything wrong with Ben's decision making. I think what hurt Ben the most last year was teams could pin their ears back against a really lackluster offensive line and a non-existent running game. Ben knew this, and his eyes were rarely down field. The drops HAVE to stop. 31 drops cannot happen.

Harris does a lot of things we need. He demands respect and attention. He gives Ben that safety valve that can rack up YAC. He and Friermuth can both block which will help a really young, unproven offensive line unit. Our receiving corps is actually quite good, they are just really inconsistent.

If I were the front office I'd try to find a trade for Washington, because he isn't going to see a single ball this year with the addition of Freirmuth and Harris.

I think Najee Harris has the ability to absolutely burst on to the NFL scene here. I'm not sure a lot of people know how f***ing good he actually is.

Ya I highly suspect this is going to be a really good team now and Harris was the missing piece. Playoffs will be Tomlined, but all the negative vibes around this team falling apart into some basement dwellers makes me laugh my sack off.

If Harris does his thing, Roth only has to toss the ball 20-22 times a game. He will be highly effective in that type of role IMHO.

Just don’t ask him to drop back 40 times a game and win it for you anymore, and you will have a very efficient and effective QB again.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ya I highly suspect this is going to be a really good team now and Harris was the missing piece. Playoffs will be Tomlined, but all the negative vibes around this team falling apart into some basement dwellers makes me laugh my sack off.

If Harris does his thing, Roth only has to toss the ball 20-22 times a game. He will be highly effective in that type of role IMHO.

Just don’t ask him to drop back 40 times a game and win it for you anymore, and you will have a very efficient and effective QB again.

The interesting thing about this team is that with JuJu, Freirmuth, Harris, and Claypool, there are 4 playmakers who can also block their asses off. On one play they can smash mouth the ball,on the next they can go to 4 wide. There is a ton of flexibility, and Ben could be lethal with the no huddle.

They have to figure out that CB slot vacated by Nelson. Ideally they would bring Nelson back. I think this offensive line can surprise people. LT is a big question mark, but I think the interior of the line will be good. I'd honestly try DeCastro at C. Let Green and Dotson play G.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I could see anywhere from 7-10 to 11-6/playoffs with this team, barring injuries. Just enough to not suck completely, and not be a real threat. And I think they're all in on Haskins as the heir. Just a hunch.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The interesting thing about this team is that with JuJu, Freirmuth, Harris, and Claypool, there are 4 playmakers who can also block their asses off. On one play they can smash mouth the ball,on the next they can go to 4 wide. There is a ton of flexibility, and Ben could be lethal with the no huddle.

They have to figure out that CB slot vacated by Nelson. Ideally they would bring Nelson back. I think this offensive line can surprise people. LT is a big question mark, but I think the interior of the line will be good. I'd honestly try DeCastro at C. Let Green and Dotson play G.

Yeah they’ve got a lot of play makers on offense and I think Canada will at least try to be creative with his play calling. It’s tough to read into OTAs too much but it seems like there’s going to be a lot of the wrinkles added to the offense that people were hoping for.

And even on the offensive line, it’s tough to imagine it being worse than last year. Hopefully the coaching changes along with some of the new starters can make it at least league average.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I think Green becomes an instant ten year starter and Dotson is a mauler... so I’m only concerned about LT, but I doubt it will be catastrophic.

Nelson’s play slipped last season and they always blow at corner anyway, so not like it will be something they haven’t dealt with before.

Overall the D and O can be good to really legit I think.

This team will compete for the division, I have little doubt.

People are again reading too much into the annual Tomlin late season collapse and think it will carry over into next season for some silly reason.

I could see anywhere from 7-10 to 11-6/playoffs with this team, barring injuries. Just enough to not suck completely, and not be a real threat. And I think they're all in on Haskins as the heir. Just a hunch.

When have they last been a legit threat under Tomlin anyway?

A decade ago?

I think any of us saying they will be a good team comes with the caveat that Tomlin is still here and his playoff failures won’t go away anytime soon.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Green becomes an instant ten year starter and Dotson is a mauler... so I’m only concerned about LT, but I doubt it will be catastrophic.

Nelson’s play slipped last season and they always blow at corner anyway, so not like it will be something they haven’t dealt with before.

Overall the D and O can be good to really legit I think.

This team will compete for the division, I have little doubt.

People are again reading too much into the annual Tomlin late season collapse and think it will carry over into next season for some silly reason.

When have they last been a legit threat under Tomlin anyway?

A decade ago?

I think any of us saying they will be a good team comes with the caveat that Tomlin is still here and his playoff failures won’t go away anytime soon.

The more I read and watch regarding Green, the more I wonder how he lasted as long as he did. I was concerned about his strength. There are videos of him throwing crazy weight around. That doesn't seem like an issue to me, and many notable draftniks said he was the most athletic lineman in the draft. I really think starting him at LG would be the best course of action, moving Dotson to RG (where he has admittedly said he was most comfortable) and DeCastro to C (which would prolong his career, make him more effective as he gets older, give Ben a C that he has a long history with).

Moore is the question mark of that line. He has a long history as a starter in the SEC, which counts for something. He doesn't seem to do a whole lot well though. Banner at RT is a question mark also, but Tomlin seems to love him.

The D has some question marks also. Can Highsmith take a step forward and replace Bud? Can we compensate for the loss of Nelson? Do we have enough MLB depth?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The more I read and watch regarding Green, the more I wonder how he lasted as long as he did. I was concerned about his strength. There are videos of him throwing crazy weight around. That doesn't seem like an issue to me, and many notable draftniks said he was the most athletic lineman in the draft. I really think starting him at LG would be the best course of action, moving Dotson to RG (where he has admittedly said he was most comfortable) and DeCastro to C (which would prolong his career, make him more effective as he gets older, give Ben a C that he has a long history with).

Moore is the question mark of that line. He has a long history as a starter in the SEC, which counts for something. He doesn't seem to do a whole lot well though. Banner at RT is a question mark also, but Tomlin seems to love him.

The D has some question marks also. Can Highsmith take a step forward and replace Bud? Can we compensate for the loss of Nelson? Do we have enough MLB depth?

I think Highsmith could be a monster if he drops some weight this offseason, but we shall see.

Nelson I’m just not that worried about. He really didn’t impress last season and really fell off.

Of course the flip side is he would have still been their best corner so ya, it is a concern.

Isn’t Nelson still unsigned though?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Highsmith could be a monster if he drops some weight this offseason, but we shall see.

Nelson I’m just not that worried about. He really didn’t impress last season and really fell off.

Of course the flip side is he would have still been their best corner so ya, it is a concern.

Isn’t Nelson still unsigned though?

Nelson is still unsigned, which kind of falls into your point.

I don't know if Highsmith's carrying too much weight at 6'4 250. I'm sure he could lean out, because he does need to get stronger all around to be productive, IMO.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Nelson is still unsigned, which kind of falls into your point.

I don't know if Highsmith's carrying too much weight at 6'4 250. I'm sure he could lean out, because he does need to get stronger all around to be productive, IMO.

Watt and Bud are roughly the same height but play at much different weights... 235 and 255 respectively.

Highsmith was around 248 in camp from what I read.

Dupree was around 270 his first couple seasons then dropped 15 lbs and looked way faster off the edge.

Every body type is different, but if Highsmith can lean out some and still hold the POA, I think he will be a menace.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Watt and Bud are roughly the same height but play at much different weights... 235 and 255 respectively.

Highsmith was around 248 in camp from what I read.

Dupree was around 270 his first couple seasons then dropped 15 lbs and looked way faster off the edge.

Every body type is different, but if Highsmith can lean out some and still hold the POA, I think he will be a menace.

Highsmith, Roche, and Johnson working out could be a huge deal for this defense for the next 5 years. If 2/3 of them turn into starters, we should be set at the LB position.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Highsmith, Roche, and Johnson working out could be a huge deal for this defense for the next 5 years. If 2/3 of them turn into starters, we should be set at the LB position.

Steelers have a lot of talent, so that’s why I roll my eyes when the doomsayers go bananas.

Tomlin is the elephant in the room with an aging Roth, but that won’t stop them from being a good regular season team that will compete for the division.

Again, I don’t feel it’s a good thing for the future of this team, but I can’t pretend this team will suddenly be a basement dweller with their talent.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Steelers have a lot of talent, so that’s why I roll my eyes when the doomsayers go bananas.

Tomlin is the elephant in the room with an aging Roth, but that won’t stop them from being a good regular season team that will compete for the division.

Again, I don’t feel it’s a good thing for the future of this team, but I can’t pretend this team will suddenly be a basement dweller with their talent.

There is nothing that sees Mike Tomlin not the coach of this team for the foreseeable future...especially with Colbert around still.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There is nothing that sees Mike Tomlin not the coach of this team for the foreseeable future...especially with Colbert around still.

I’d say as long as Rooney owns the team, Tomlin has a job for life.

Which means we should all accept it will be Groundhogs Day for years to come.

Reactions: JTG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I’d say as long as Rooney owns the team, Tomlin has a job for life.

Which means we should all accept it will be Groundhogs Day for years to come.

Just like with Cowher...one year Tomlin will catch a hot roster and they will basically will him to victory.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m not a Haskins fanboy or anything, but has the guy really had enough time to say he’s awful? 2 seasons being a knuckle head while playing for Washington doesn’t seem to indicate he’s not going to be a decent QB. His immaturity was a problem more than anything else, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad