GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So wait, the D is "Tomlin's D" but when the offense succeeds, it's all Ben?

FFS man.

Uh, it’s well known Tomlin has been making the calls for the D on game day for years.

Dulac: Mike Tomlin Called 'All The Defensive Signals' Against Browns Sunday Night - Steelers Depot

BR has the leeway to make the calls when they are trying to play catch up and out of their game plan.

Tomlin also stays out of the offensive calls unless it’s short yardage/goal line calls.

So in short, the answer to your question is - yep.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Uh, it’s well known Tomlin has been making the calls for the D on game day for years.

Dulac: Mike Tomlin Called 'All The Defensive Signals' Against Browns Sunday Night - Steelers Depot

BR has the leeway to make the calls when they are trying to play catch up and out of their game plan.

Tomlin also stays out of the offensive calls unless it’s short yardage/goal line calls.

So in short, the answer to your question is - yep.
the first quarter pick was a third and long, so tomlin would be out on that one? and they were playing catchup down 21-7 on the strip sack fumble recovery for the TD when they were otherwise driving, so that should be on ben too? just feels like we are never going to agree here and i acknowledge path dependence means you cant jut say if that didnt happen this wouldve, but that certainly works both ways...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
the first quarter pick was a third and long, so tomlin would be out on that one? and they were playing catchup down 21-7 on the strip sack fumble recovery for the TD when they were otherwise driving, so that should be on ben too? just feels like we are never going to agree here and i acknowledge path dependence means you cant jut say if that didnt happen this wouldve, but that certainly works both ways...

I literally said in my initial post BR was at fault on the pick, not really sure what else you want me to write about that...?

The other 14 points aren’t on him, they are on Tomlin and his shitty calls on D.

BR was driving when it was 14-0 and Tomlin decides two b2b outside pitches to Bell on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 were good ideas... momentum killed...

Jax then drives the field on Tomlin’s D and makes it 21-0.

Whatever happens after that as I said is basically BR having to do everything himself down 21, with Tomlin getting shit all over by Hackett the entire game, he never stood a chance.

That’s why Tomlin became the first coach in NFL history to have his O score 40+ at home and yet he still found a way to lose.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I honestly can't remember the last time I was so excited to see a Steelers football player as I am to see Najee Harris. Adding a guy like him to a football team is like a human gaining a set of lungs. I also think he's going to be great for the city.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
A part of me has low expectations for next season. But looking back, the Steelers tend to fare well against playoff teams so the playoffs aren't out of the question.

I'm expecting 8 wins and Tomlin's first losing record, but I wouldn't be surprised if they manage a few upsets against teams like Seattle and squeek into the playoffs as a 10 win team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think the offense alone has this team at 9-8. I'm not quite sure people understand how good Najee Harris is and I fully expect Pat Freiermuth to immediately be more productive than McDonald. Two TE sets are going to be deadly (especially in the red zone) if they can return to a more balanced offensive attack where the run has to be respected.

The question marks are the offensive line coming together and the Steven Nelson Grand Canyon sized hole in the defense.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Najee Harris is not going to carry the offense by himself. The OL is lackluster and Ben is honestly a bad QB at this stage. The offense isn't going to carry anything and the defense got worse. Add a near gauntlet from start to finish. 7-10 at best.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Najee Harris is not going to carry the offense by himself. The OL is lackluster and Ben is honestly a bad QB at this stage. The offense isn't going to carry anything and the defense got worse. Add a near gauntlet from start to finish. 7-10 at best.

Ben isn't a bad QB. Ben is a QB that isn't a guy who can throw the load on his shoulders any longer. If they have a balanced attack, that will go so far in terms of opening up both the passing and the running game. The balance was so out of whack that even JuJu came out and said that the team needs more commitment to the run. A WR...saying they needed to run the ball more. Even he recognizes what a balanced attack does for his prospects for a big season. Ben had the lowest time to throw of any QB last year (2.1 seconds). His receivers all had issues catching the ball (30 dropped passes, only 1 worse than Dallas with 31). Defenses were able to pin their ears back and get after Ben because the offense was predictable and the OL was awful at both run and pass blocking. It was a perfect set up for disaster.

Having Najee they will at least be able to run more effectively last year, which is a start. Bringing in the young offensive linemen cannot hurt, and picking up linemen who run the type of offense Canada is trying to deploy helps. There was an interesting interview with Canada where he was asked about his system and he basically said he doesn't have a system that he jams into place, but he creates a system around the players he has. If those players change from year to year, the system changes.

The Steelers have a really good collection of receivers that need to catch the ball. Dotson and DeCastro are good guards. I think Green is going to be at least a serviceable center. The question marks lie with the tackles. They believe in Banner as a starter.

Where I will concede is that the Nelson hole is expansive and we have absolutely no one in the system who can fill in for him unless Justin Layne has an epiphany or one of these young DBs are way better than any of us realize.

Reactions: xlm34

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Just stop. Ben is a bad QB. He should be retired. He doesn’t play tough anymore. His idea of beating a pass rush is zooming it out to the nearest WR. His long ball is a floater. He’s done. Kaput.

The OL is patchwork. Their C is either a guy who got cut from one of the worst OL in the league last year or a rookie G convert. Their Ts are very suspect. They have one above average guard.

All the talent at WR doesn’t matter when the QB sucks and the OL struggles.

All of this with a new OC and offensive system.

In a passing league, having a substandard secondary is a death sentence.

7-10 at best. For the sake of the future of the team, I hope they bomb. 2-15, 3-14. Whatever. The best thing that could happen to them is being set up to draft a QB early in the first round

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
They do have a brutal schedule but I'll reserve judgement on how we will be until after at least the preseason games.

They still have time to sign a vet or 2 in the UFA free agent bargin bin.

It will be interesting for sure to see how they do. If that oline stabilizes itself and if we can find someone to lock down that 2nd CB spot we have a chance to be decent, although i won't say we are a SB contender.

I think Najee will at least keep Ben from throwing 60 times a game which should save his arm some. Because honestly at the end of the yr it it honestly appeared to be cooked.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
But overall I think this is a win win for us this yr. We either suprise the league and become contenders, or we stink and have a shot at one of the top QBs next draft along with tons of cap space.

For some reason I actually am leaning towards hoping we stink it up. I dont wanna wanna be some middle of the pack team or 1 and done playoff caliber team and have a late 1st round pick, missing out on any decent QB.

Reactions: JTG

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Just stop. Ben is a bad QB. He should be retired. He doesn’t play tough anymore. His idea of beating a pass rush is zooming it out to the nearest WR. His long ball is a floater. He’s done. Kaput.

The OL is patchwork. Their C is either a guy who got cut from one of the worst OL in the league last year or a rookie G convert. Their Ts are very suspect. They have one above average guard.

All the talent at WR doesn’t matter when the QB sucks and the OL struggles.

All of this with a new OC and offensive system.

In a passing league, having a substandard secondary is a death sentence.

7-10 at best. For the sake of the future of the team, I hope they bomb. 2-15, 3-14. Whatever. The best thing that could happen to them is being set up to draft a QB early in the first round

What about their head coach?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They do have a brutal schedule but I'll reserve judgement on how we will be until after at least the preseason games.

It will be interesting for sure to see how they do. If that oline stabilizes itself and if we can find someone to lock down that 2nd CB spot we have a chance to be decent, although i won't say we are a SB contender.

I think Najee will at least keep Ben from throwing 60 times a game which should save his arm some. Because honestly at the end of the yr it it honestly appeared to be cooked.

Exactly....there could be young pleasant surprises with the roster........ but Tomlin

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I have little doubt this will be a pretty decent to good team, but they haven’t been a SB contender in a decade and most of us know why.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don’t really need those stats to know a coach who has 3 playoff wins in 10 years and has given up 93 points in his last two, is a bad coach.

He wears shades and says mindless things people mistake for cleverness, so he must be good at his job I guess.

No hall of fame for cliches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->