GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If we didn’t have Jameses Winston I mean Ben in the playoffs I wonder if they would have won more than 3 play offs in 10 years

Ya, the guy who they waited 25 years to finally bring back the Lombardi is the issue - good call.

Not the shitty game day coach who blows at Xs and Os and believes himself to be a competent D coordinator.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
just like several other important games, you cannot credit Roth for the 40+ points...what happens is that he gets the team behind in the game, so behind that the other team plays soft on defense, allowing him to make a comeback...so I absolutely do not credit the offense with scoring lots of free points when they other team was up 20+ in the first half

Bro, get real.

You and the other poster have shitty memories.

Tomlin’s wonderful D got mud stomped on the opening drive.

7-0

Roth threw a bad pick at his own 20, which he obviously deserves blame and of course the D couldn’t stop them.

14-0

Roth marches them down the field next drive to the Jax 20, big chance to cut the lead in half, then Tomlin went Tomlin because it’s what he does.

Wide pitch to Bell on 3rd and 2.. stuffed.

Genius Tomlin then approves of THE EXACT SAME PLAY on 4th and 2. Loss of 4... who knew!

Jax ball. They mud stomp Tomlin’s D right down the field and make it 21-0.

But ya, it was all Roth’s fault. Apparently he was calling the D and two idiotic pitches in a row against a stout, swarming D no one could run outside on all season.

Stupid Roethlisberger.

And no, they were playing man press almost the entire game, so this nonsense about the prevent is comical.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Bro, get real.

You and the other poster have shitty memories.

7-0

Roth threw a bad pick at his own 20, which he obviously deserves blame and of course the D couldn’t stop them.

14-0

Roth marches them down the field next drive to the Jax 20, big chance to cut the lead in half, then Tomlin went Tomlin because it’s what he does.

Genius Tomlin then approves of THE EXACT SAME PLAY on 4th and 2. Loss of 4... who knew!

But ya, it was all Roth’s fault. Apparently he was calling the D and two idiotic pitches in a row against a stout, swarming D no one could run outside on all season.

Stupid Roethlisberger.

And no, they were playing man press almost the entire game, so this nonsense about the prevent is comical.

maybe my memory of that particular PO game is conflating with the one against the Browns this year lol, but they all seem the same under Tomlin, and no they’re not entirely BR’s fault at all but he shares in the blame...the team gets down big due to not being prepared and BR’s turnovers, and the offense is slower out of the gate than the opposing team, and then they right the ship but it’s too late...lot of blame to go around with the shitty preparation and disjointed team play and BR is one of them

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ya, the guy who they waited 25 years to finally bring back the Lombardi is the issue - good call.

Not the shitty game day coach who blows at Xs and Os and believes himself to be a competent D coordinator.
Dude outside of 2005 as been garbage in the playoffs. Sure he brought the Lombardi but most playoffs he got cared or they had to overcome him. It’s tough to overcome when the man who touches the ball every play craps the bed in the playoffs. Ben threatened to retire until they fired Haley and he hand picked Fitchner Fitchner let’s him be a gun slinger. Ben completely shuns the running game and flexes on the fact he leads the league in passing attempts since 2018. They could have any body at coach and they would struggle winning getting 27tds and 27 interceptions from their QB in the playoffs

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
maybe my memory of that particular PO game is conflating with the one against the Browns this year lol, but they all seem the same under Tomlin, and no they’re not entirely BR’s fault at all but he shares in the blame...the team gets down big due to not being prepared and BR’s turnovers, and the offense is slower out of the gate than the opposing team, and then they right the ship but it’s too late...lot of blame to go around with the shitty preparation and disjointed team play and BR is one of them

Cleveland game...

Bad snap over Roth’s head into the end zone.

7-0.

Roth throws a pick at mid field. D of course can’t stop them.

14-0.

Next drive genius Tomlin approves a dive to Watt (lol) on 3rd and 1 and he gets stuffed. Who knew!

Punt.

Browns mud stomp Tomlin’s D and score a TD.

21-0.

Next drive Roth hits Johnson right in the hands and he tips it up in the air.. picked.

Browns end up scoring a TD.

28-0.

Only big mistake Roth made to this point was a bad pass at mid field, but apparently no other QB has ever thrown a pick at mid field in a playoff game before...?

At 28-0 the game is out of hand anyway and Roth basically has to throw every down... well not like they could run any way since Tomlin decided they didn’t need to upgrade on oft-injured Conner in the off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dude outside of 2005 as been garbage in the playoffs. Sure he brought the Lombardi but most playoffs he got cared or they had to overcome him. It’s tough to overcome when the man who touches the ball every play craps the bed in the playoffs. Ben threatened to retire until they fired Haley and he hand picked Fitchner Fitchner let’s him be a gun slinger. Ben completely shuns the running game and flexes on the fact he leads the league in passing attempts since 2018. They could have any body at coach and they would struggle winning getting 27tds and 27 interceptions from their QB in the playoffs

Ya, I just debunked your nonsense.

Who was that guy who lead the drive to win the SB in 2008?

Or are we stuck in a time warp where we count backwards here?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ya, I just debunked your nonsense.

Who was that guy who lead the drive to win the SB in 2008?

Or are we stuck in a time warp where we count backwards here?
He has the same amount of tds and picks in the playoffs. He never takes a pay cut and people always make excuses and say he needs more help.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He has the same amount of tds and picks in the playoffs. He never takes a pay cut and people always make excuses and say he needs more help.

Ya, uh ok.

Anyone familiar with the playoffs under Tomlin would know Roth wasn’t the issue, but let’s pretend his turnovers were the main reason they went down big agt Jax and Cleveland.

Dude is going into the HOF and we are soon going to remember again how depressing it is not to have a franchise QB.

Sadly, Tomlin wasted Roth’s prime years and soon we will get to enjoy the Kent Grahams of the league again.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Ya, uh ok.

Anyone familiar with the playoffs under Tomlin would know Roth wasn’t the issue, but let’s pretend his turnovers were the main reason they went down big agt Jax and Cleveland.

Dude is going into the HOF and we are soon going to remember again how depressing it is not to have a franchise QB.

Sadly, Tomlin wasted Roth’s prime years and soon we will get to enjoy the Kent Grahams of the league again.

How can anyone say that Ben hasn't been an issue in the playoffs with a straight face? Over his last 16 playoff games going back to 2009 Ben has a composite passer rating of 76.6 and has thrown as many interceptions as he has TD's. If it helps put that in perspective, Dwayne Haskins has a career passing rating of 74.4 - Ben has basically been Haskins in the playoffs since 2009, and that's with the 2 gaudy yardage totals he put up against prevent defenses against Jacksonville and Cleveland.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How can anyone say that Ben hasn't been an issue in the playoffs with a straight face? Over his last 16 playoff games going back to 2009 Ben has a composite passer rating of 76.6 and has thrown as many interceptions as he has TD's. If it helps put that in perspective, Dwayne Haskins has a career passing rating of 74.4 - Ben has basically been Haskins in the playoffs since 2009, and that's with the 2 gaudy yardage totals he put up against prevent defenses against Jacksonville and Cleveland.

You are looking at raw stats and not how the games played out... but that’s what people do because it’s easy to be lazy I guess.

I already broke down how he wasn’t the issue with getting down big to Jax and Cleveland.

The third most embarrassing playoff loss under Tomlin, agt the Broncos, he brought them all the way back and got them to OT... and the first play of OT Tomlin’s D let’s up an 80 yard slant for a TD.

Outside of Brady, very few QBs in this league were going to overcome Tomlin’s level of incompetence in the playoffs.

Soon we will see just how much Roth masked Tomlin’s shitty coaching.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
You are looking at raw stats and not how the games played out... but that’s what people do because it’s easy to be lazy I guess.

I already broke down how he wasn’t the issue with getting down big to Jax and Cleveland.

The third most embarrassing playoff loss under Tomlin, agt the Broncos, he brought them all the way back and got them to OT... and the first play of OT Tomlin’s D let’s up an 80 yard slant for a TD.

Outside of Brady, very few QBs in this league were going to overcome Tomlin’s incompetence in the playoffs.

I'm not just looking at raw stats, but when your "raw stats" are equivalent to Drew Lock and Dwayne Haskins, to brush those aside as irrelevant is lazy, I guess.

Hell, it goes further than the Cleveland and Jax games. He was ass in the Tebow game in Denver. The WC home loss to Baltimore was a poor performance. The 6 FG game in KC they won he threw 0 TD and averaged less than 6 yards an attempt. He about gave away the AFC Championship against the Jets.

Is this lazy? Or is it lazy to say BEN IS THE GREATEST AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'RE DUMB? I dunno.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not just looking at raw stats, but when your "raw stats" are equivalent to Drew Lock and Dwayne Haskins, to brush those aside as irrelevant is lazy, I guess.

Hell, it goes further than the Cleveland and Jax games. He was ass in the Tebow game in Denver. The WC home loss to Baltimore was a poor performance. The 6 FG game in KC they won he threw 0 TD and averaged less than 6 yards an attempt. He about gave away the AFC Championship against the Jets.

Is this lazy? Or is it lazy to say BEN IS THE GREATEST AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'RE DUMB? I dunno.

Now you are resorting to straw man arguments?

That how this is going to go?

As I already said, it’s lazy to look at raw stats and make conclusions.

We literally had a poster spouting off stats and blaming BR for the Jax and Cle losses, when the reality was he had very little to do with them going down so big in those games.

Tomlin inherited one of the best young Qbs in the league and derailed his career.

There is zero doubt in my mind that Tomlin’s incompetence pissed away BR chance to win another ring or two.

Playing under Tomlin has always been an uphill battle for BR, and once again, you and others will find out soon enough just how much he masked Tomlin’s incompetence.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Now you are resorting to straw man arguments?

That how this is going to go?

As I already said, it’s lazy to look at raw stats and make conclusions.

We literally had a poster spouting off stats and blaming BR for the Jax and Cle losses, when the reality was he had very little to do with them going down so big in those games.

Tomlin inherited one of the best young Qbs in the league and derailed his career.

There is zero doubt in my mind that Tomlin’s incompetence pissed away BR chance to win another ring or two.

Playing under Tomlin has always been an uphill battle for BR, and once again, you and others will find out soon enough just how much he masked Tomlin’s incompetence.

What straw man argument is that, exactly? That Ben's playoff stats are bad and, also, if you look at individual games he had a ton of clunkers? What's the straw man, exactly? You're the one taking the position that "stats don't matter" and "it's all Tomlin's fault" and "Ben is the greatest" and ignoring reality. I'm the furthest thing from a Tomlin apologist, but to act like your franchise QB playing like Drew Lock in the playoffs for a decade or more isn't also a problem is some bizarre hero worship.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What straw man argument is that, exactly? That Ben's playoff stats are bad and, also, if you look at individual games he had a ton of clunkers? What's the straw man, exactly? You're the one taking the position that "stats don't matter" and "it's all Tomlin's fault" and "Ben is the greatest" and ignoring reality. I'm the furthest thing from a Tomlin apologist, but to act like your franchise QB playing like Drew Lock in the playoffs for a decade or more isn't also a problem is some bizarre hero worship.

You literally just wrote out your strawman and still are confused what it is?

Curious...

You are too busy making up what my argument is, so keep at it I guess.

Just because I think Tomlin is incompetent doesn’t mean I think Roth is infallible.

I’m indifferent on the guy, but also recognize Yinzer nation who loves to hate on him will see what reality is like when he’s gone.

I’ve already proven Roth wasn’t responsible for their last two embarrassing playoff debacles, despite “stats” saying otherwise.

Dealing with incompetent coaching for most of your career does no QB any favors, and I feel strongly it cost BR a couple extra rings.

If you can’t follow that argument without making up another strawman, oh well.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I really don't think you know what a "strawman" actually is.

And if it's your position that the guy who threw 3 picks in the first half of a playoff game and stood idly by while a fumble was recovered for a TD in that same first half had nothing at all do with the loss, well, there's really nothing further to even debate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really don't think you know what a "strawman" actually is.

The irony here is too comical...

And if it's your position that the guy who threw 3 picks in the first half of a playoff game and stood idly by while a fumble was recovered for a TD in that same first half had nothing at all do with the loss, well, there's really nothing further to even debate.

My position is that he had very little to do with them going down 28-0, when it was made out like he was the main reason they went into a huge hole early on.

By that point the game has become a shitshow and the D is going to just T off on him knowing they won’t be running.

When you are forced to drop back 70x it is going to get ugly.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
The irony here is too comical...

My position is that he had very little to do with them going down 28-0, when it was made out like he was the reason they went into a huge hole early on.

By that point the game has become a shitshow and the D is going to just T off on him knowing they won’t be running.
i am totally confused? didnt ben throw the pick that resulted in their going down 14-0 on a bad throw to a tightly covered vance mcdonald who was short of the sticks anyways?

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
he also got strip sacked for the fumble recovery TD that made it 28-7 in checking the box score

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i am totally confused? didnt ben throw the pick that resulted in their going down 14-0 on a bad throw to a tightly covered vance mcdonald who was short of the sticks anyways?

Ya I covered all that in the Browns playoff breakdown and said he made a bad throw.

One bad throw on his part at mid field didn’t lead to 28 points.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Ya I covered all that in the Browns playoff breakdown and said he made a bad throw.

One bad throw on his part didn’t lead to 28 points.
i mean he threw a pick in the red zone and held onto the ball in the pocket for way too long for a strip sack that was returned for a TD. saying he didnt have s pivotal role in 14/28 points seems wrong?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i mean he threw a pick in the red zone and held onto the ball in the pocket for way too long for a strip sack that was returned for a TD. saying he didnt have s pivotal role in 14/28 points seems wrong?

Jags game they were already down 21-0 and he was only responsible for one mistake that put them in that massive hole.

As I already stated, once you get down by a few TDS it becomes a shit show for most teams.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Jags game they were already down 21-0 and he was only responsible for one mistake that put them in that massive hole.

As I already stated, once you get down by a few TDS it becomes a shit show for most teams.
they were down 14-0 after ben threw the pick at the steelers 18 and then the strip sack fumble recovery for the TD made the game 28-7. i dont understand how you argue that ben didnt play a pivotal role in putting the steelers in that position?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
they were down 14-0 after ben threw the pick at the steelers 18 and then the strip sack fumble recovery for the TD made the game 28-7. i dont understand how you argue that ben didnt play a pivotal role in putting the steelers in that position?

I explained it in great detail so it’s not that difficult to understand:

7-0

14-0

By the time it’s 21-0 a game is going to be out of control and force the QB to drop back 50-60x, let the D T off on him and completely f*** your game plan.

Roth still put up 5TD and almost brought them back, but Tomlin’s D was too busy getting pissed on all afternoon for it to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad