Blow this team up already!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe Dubas will double down on his bet. Two 1sts for Lil' Mitchy?
Dubas has f***ed up his cap so bad, no way he can add Marner. I'm thinking SLC, Seattle, Anaheim, SJ, Washington or Carolina.

Can we get JT to retire in July after he is paid his bonus? That should be clear up his cap hit. No?

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I wouldn't go that far, just because they still need to do their exit interviews and all that. But within a week I'd say is reasonable.

I think they're gonna clean house, it's not gonna be just Keefe. I think Boucher and Van Ryn are gonna follow him out the door too, as well as Shanahan.

You're probably right on the timing and Shanahan and you're definitely right on the rest of the coaching staff.

The interesting aspect will be Treliving. How long will his leash be with a new boss?

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Dubas has f***ed up his cap so bad, no way he can add Marner. I'm thinking SLC, Seattle, Anaheim, SJ, Washington or Carolina.

Can we get JT to retire in July after he is paid his bonus? That should be clear up his cap hit. No?
Any trade for Marner with pretty much any other team would have to take a huge salary like Karlsson back . Possible to get a 3rd team involved but that'll cost more assets .

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Any trade for Marner with pretty much any other team would have to take a huge salary like Karlsson back . Possible to get a 3rd team involved but that'll cost more assets .
Likely not guaranteed. Look at the Eichel, PLD and M Tkachuk deals. They all got back solid roster players plus. I'd be looking for a $6m player, a 1st, and a top prospect and maybe squeeze another pick. I'd retain $6m to make the money work.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
At 3 games to 1, there is nothing about how this teams leadership has performed surprises anyone who visits this site, unless you are so Pollyanna your sun glasses are too dark.
We all know that no one, not the captain, not the coach, not the GM, not the agent can positively influence some of these guys to play for team first.
In particular, Reilly is incapable of being a number one dman. JT can no longer do it at a level required and has no influence, and Mitchy loves Muskoka more than hockey, more than Lord Stanley, and he is no longer capable of giving it all. He growth to maturity passed him by. Throwing his gloves shows who he has become.
I think AM has given what he can. I think Willie would.

This leadership group has ONE MORE GAME or TWO MORE GAMES to prove us wrong.
They can lose the series, but how they lose is what is important.

Yes I will gloat if they fail, and there will be a shortage of crows ( to quote McNamara) if they do not.

Is that Dandy Don Merideth I hear singing? "Turn out the lights, the party is over"

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Damien Cox would like to point out: Mitch is coming off a serious high ankle sprain and cannot be blamed. Nylander has migraines and missed 3 games and can’t be blamed. And Auston has food poisoning and isn’t feeling good. Just bad luck and bad timing . And NHL refs are bad. Damien blames Keefe. Fire Keefe and run it back? And be nicer to Mitch. Twitter is too hard on him and it will make him not want to be in Toronto

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

"Shoot the puck"

"Stop your crying, this isn't Jr."

Good , I hope their frustrations escalate to the point where Muskoka Mitch entitled varsity boy approves a trade.

I always thought Willie was a bit of a floater but seeing him giving the gears to Mitch ... LOOOOOVE IT!

It was over before it started.

The Leafs were/are plagued by structural breakdowns all year, and it continues in the playoffs. When you face a team who has details in their game and you don't, you have zero chance.

Structural breakdowns would imply we had a structure in place....we do not have a semblance of that with this coach.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I hear this sentiment a lot. Explain how they are traded? Who is going to trade for 1 year of an $11 million player? What do you expect to get in return for 1 year of Mitch marner? Lol "a number one dman" "an elite starting goalie".

These guys are actually the worst players to trade given they have zero term left and ludicrous cap hits. Any real contender already has their pieces in place. Any rebuilding team can wait one more year and sign them for zero assets in the off season.

Theyre not getting traded. They will have to walk.
Yup, but don't forget $22 million in cap space is an asset as well.

Reactions: Pavel10

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
There is zero chance the Ducks make this trade. Zero. The cats out of the bag when it comes to Matthews play consistently in the playoffs. He has a great game here and there but consistently, you can't count on him to carry a team.

Sure, there would be a market for Matthews but it wouldn't be from a rebuilding team giving up a future, borderline-elite 1C who is 19 years old on a cozy ELC and a future top-pair D monster on a great deal for a player making $13+ million on a shorter deal.

The Ducks are building the right way... slowly... stocking the cupboard with future stars. They are not going to make the mistake the Leafs did and overpay for an older star player and mess up the rebuild.
100% accurate

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Damien Cox would like to point out: Mitch is coming off a serious high ankle sprain and cannot be blamed. Nylander has migraines and missed 3 games and can’t be blamed. And Auston has food poisoning and isn’t feeling good. Just bad luck and bad timing . And NHL refs are bad. Damien blames Keefe. Fire Keefe and run it back? And be nicer to Mitch. Twitter is too hard on him and it will make him not want to be in Toronto
So Toronto press.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Yup, but don't forget $22 million in cap space is an asset as well.
That is the #1 asset. Fans need to stop with the pipe dream that leafs will be retaining salary if they trade him this summer for picks or prospects. Nothing that can help for years.

He's not going to be traded for a "excellent top pairing dman".

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You're probably right on the timing and Shanahan and you're definitely right on the rest of the coaching staff.

The interesting aspect will be Treliving. How long will his leash be with a new boss?
Do you not think that some of these guys are uncountable.
1. Did you see how terrible Mitchy was playing pk.
2. Do you think he is coached to play that way?
3. Do you not think any coach would pull him off the pk if his ankle was still bad
4. Do you think that any coach would bench Dewar for offensive Robertson if he could pull Mitchy off the pk.
5. Do you remember how Mitchy got Babs fired when he was just 20 yrs old.

This is Shanny and the Muskoka boys relationships.
This internal poison has hot to go.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Do you not think that some of these guys are uncountable.
1. Did you see how terrible Mitchy was playing pk.
2. Do you think he is coached to play that way?
3. Do you not think any coach would pull him off the pk if his ankle was still bad
4. Do you think that any coach would bench Dewar for offensive Robertson if he could pull Mitchy off the pk.
5. Do you remember how Mitchy got Babs fired when he was just 20 yrs old.

This is Shanny and the Muskoka boys relationships.
This internal poison has hot to go.

Oh I'm all on board moving Mitch. I was strictly speaking behind the bench personnel.

AM34 and Willy will carry the offense moving forward. Mitch and JT are done. Possibly JT stays at a significantly reduced salary after next season but I fully expect Mitch is moved before the draft

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Dark horse but Buffalo?
They have Cap Space. They aren't awful (missed playoffs by 1 point last season and this season were also close to .500). Not that far of a move geographically, Mitch is a huge Buffalo Bills fan (does it count for something, Anything? lol). The Sabres have a lot of NHL ready (or close to ready) prospects (legit 1st round picks not someone you wish is a prospect but really isn't.) And they are looking for another top-6 guy to plug into the lineup.

You may not get equal value back right now, but you would get immediate cap relief and likely some legit prospects or young players...POSSIBLY a decent D-man that is young and can slot in as a 2nd pair guy? Then again, with Lindy Ruff taking over as coach and him having an 'old school' mentality, not sure how much HE would want Marner.

Last edited:
Reactions: studebaker17

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Issue is... this occurs every year, and every year it's a new excuse.

Gary Roberts pulled this team on two bum shoulders through a couple of rounds, our current group just aren't built that way. They got their money, and the Playoffs are messing with their Golf and Yacht time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I hope not very long... he assembled the least mobile and offensive D we have had in a long time to fix our scoring issue.

Give him another year I guess, but nothing he's ever done has shown me he knows how to construct a team.

If they are making a lot of changes, it makes me nervous to give reigns to the guy who made Calgary what they are today.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd like to give the group a shot with a real coach, and a real goalie before I say blow it up.

Besides you can't blow it up because you just signed Matthews and Nylander.

But you can fire Keefe, Shanny, maybe Boucher, although I'd personally make him the PK coach, he's known for defense he shouldn't be coaching the PP that was always an odd spot to put him, somebody that's been on a PP should coach the PP.

Fire the goalie coach too because he did an awful job.

There is blood to be spilled but it belongs to the coaching staff and possibly Shanny, although I'm not convinced Shanny gets fired but I'm not against it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Right crazy people spent 800 bucks on tickets.

$800 is not a lot for a lot of people.

I don't think it is worth it, but I'm not crying over spending that to go to a game if my team doesn't play well, it is how sports works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad