Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I realize that Chenier got on the board for us last night but I still don't see the advantage in this trade. To give up draft picks in a trade with little apparent upside is odd at best. Does someone have some insight on this? Good to have a Sudbury kid back home for the final half season of his ohl career, but....

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
I realize that Chenier got on the board for us last night but I still don't see the advantage in this trade. To give up draft picks in a trade with little apparent upside is odd at best. Does someone have some insight on this? Good to have a Sudbury kid back home for the final half season of his ohl career, but....

I don't Know I think Chenier will be better suited for a playoff run than Bulitka was. A little tougher in the corners...Just a bit more grit IMO... The added seat sales that come with bringing in a local kid don't hurt either.

Reactions: hockieguy

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Yes Chenier has had a slow start with the Wolves, but starting to see a different looking player now with confidence and making plays with the puck. And yes Bulitka was a fan favourite here in Sudbury. Perhaps both have gotten off to slow starts with their respective new teams, but ask North Bay fans the difference between these two players and it's pretty clear there's a difference. It's still early and I want to see more from Chenier, and he needs to settle in with the right linemates.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
Chenier has played 4 games...give him a break!
Did you expect 10 goals? Hat-tricks every game?
He has 2 points in 4 games, adjusting to a new system, new team, new linemates, new city, etc. Relax everyone.

It would be nice to hear positive things here. Yes you can vent, but not everything is doom and gloom. The Wolves are winning their division, have beaten some good teams, have lost some games they should have one, but also have arguably the best player in the league, they have quite a bit of depth and they're a team I wouldn't want to play in the playoffs.

Weeks actually made some good saves last night. He allowed four goals - 1 bad, 1 unlucky and 2 legitimate goals. He's not the starter, he's backup, so he gets games like this and he helped the team earn two points - simple as that.

They need to get on a roll and put together a handful of wins - not just a win or two, then a loss.
It would be nice if they could grab 5 in a row here and really separate themselves from Missy.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
Very sloppy play by Sudbury. Some guys look like they are free skating or free standing around.

Defence is backing in way too much or pinching up way too much. Scrabbly play which is giving way too much space for the Sting forwards. Ross needs to be better today. Backed in on Weeks and didn’t take the shooter or the pass away. Basically did nothing on that first goal.

Our forwards are not moving their feet enough. No sustained forecheck. Not getting any quality shots or chances.

Something is not right. I just want to see them compete! And some do for parts of the game and then take shifts off. Others just don’t look like they want to play today.

Pick up the play boys!

WJ

I don't disagree necessarily, however, their opponent didn't help.
North Bay has no structure and not a tone of skill. It's hard to gt any flow when the other team is running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

NB's power play is just five players trying to shoot every chance they get, so to really criticize the Wolves isn't really fair.

And unfortunately, at every level, teams play down to their opponent - last night might have been that.
But a win is a win. The score should have been 10-2 - instead, 8-4, two points and looking for two more tonight.

Reactions: Wisdom

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He has 2 points in 4 games, adjusting to a new system, new team, new linemates, new city, etc. Relax everyone.

It would be nice to hear positive things here. Yes you can vent, but not everything is doom and gloom. The Wolves are winning their division, have beaten some good teams, have lost some games they should have one, but also have arguably the best player in the league, they have quite a bit of depth and they're a team I wouldn't want to play in the playoffs.

Weeks actually made some good saves last night. He allowed four goals - 1 bad, 1 unlucky and 2 legitimate goals. He's not the starter, he's backup, so he gets games like this and he helped the team earn two points - simple as that.

They need to get on a roll and put together a handful of wins - not just a win or two, then a loss.
It would be nice if they could grab 5 in a row here and really separate themselves from Missy.

If upgrading OA, I expected an OA D; or, a significant F upgrade at a position of need such as RW Lodinia or Josling

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Yes Chenier has had a slow start with the Wolves, but starting to see a different looking player now with confidence and making plays with the puck. And yes Bulitka was a fan favourite here in Sudbury. Perhaps both have gotten off to slow starts with their respective new teams, but ask North Bay fans the difference between these two players and it's pretty clear there's a difference. It's still early and I want to see more from Chenier, and he needs to settle in with the right linemates.
You can't even compare the scenarios. Chenier would welcome a trade to a contending team. Bultika on the other hand was top four in stats at the time of trade. Statistically had improved year over year. One of best pk guys on the team. One of the best defensive forwards on the team. Most likely completely blindsided by the trade. Mentally that would shake any player up. I dont care what people say that was a terrible move by a desperate GM at the expense of a great kid. They talk about character of the players. What about the character of the GM. Nice for the local kid to get the extra time in front of his family...did it need to be done ....no way. But it is done and people have to move on from it. Just not a great look for management IMO.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Giving up picks?? Even if Chenier scores goals..people are acting like Bulitka didnt? Last year during the playoffs Bulitka was a warrior for this team. Papineau trades him...makes alot of sense??

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
On the plus side..this year as the season ends, we can beat up on low end teams and run up the stats.. unlike last year when we had a tough end to the season.

Last edited:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
You can't even compare the scenarios. Chenier would welcome a trade to a contending team. Bultika on the other hand was top four in stats at the time of trade. Statistically had improved year over year. One of best pk guys on the team. One of the best defensive forwards on the team. Most likely completely blindsided by the trade. Mentally that would shake any player up. I dont care what people say that was a terrible move by a desperate GM at the expense of a great kid. They talk about character of the players. What about the character of the GM. Nice for the local kid to get the extra time in front of his family...did it need to be done ....no way. But it is done and people have to move on from it. Just not a great look for management IMO.

Bulitka was on revocable wavers days before the trade. He knew there was a chance he would be moved.

He’s an OA, he should be one of the bests players on the team!

Chenier has been a point a game player for two straight seasons and has more sandpaper to his game the Bulitka. There’s no doubt that Bulitka is a good 2 way player, but you can’t say Chenier isn’t an upgrade over Bulitka.

Did they have to make the trade, of course not. They don’t have to make any trade. Would any GM make a trade without really believing that it’s best for the org? It’s Paps team, you can’t judge his character because he made a trade! Dislike it fine but to go after his character? A GM job is to manage the team, not to worry about what things look like.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Bulitka was on revocable wavers days before the trade. He knew there was a chance he would be moved.

Chenier has been a point a game player for two straight seasons and has more sandpaper to his game the Bulitka. There’s no doubt that Bulitka is a good 2 way player, but you can’t say Chenier isn’t an upgrade over Bulitka.

Did they have to make the trade, of course not. They don’t have to make any trade. Would any GM make a trade without really believing that it’s best for the org? It’s Paps team, you can’t judge his character because he made a trade! Dislike it fine but to go after his character? A GM job is to manage the team, not to worry about what things look like.
No one arguing Chenier's ability. Not worth picks, did not fill the voids on this team ...defense or goalie. So no can't support this trade but it is done.

Reactions: dirty12

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

Nobody was bashing a wolves player or the organization, just a discussion. After all we're on a discussion board. Paps is in charge and the deal is done but sometimes as fans we wonder why things are what they are and sometimes there's a person on here than has more insight.

Reactions: HockeyHell

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Nobody was bashing a wolves player or the organization, just a discussion. After all we're on a discussion board. Paps is in charge and the deal is done but sometimes as fans we wonder why things are what they are and sometimes there's a person on here than has more insight.

that was a terrible move by a desperate GM
What about the character of the GM

My mistake, thought that was bashing. I prefer Chenier to Bulitka. I’m not worried about the 3rd round pick in 2023 right now. That asset wouldn’t help us right now with plenty of time to recoup said asset.

Just my opinion. If you prefer Bulitka and a 2023 3rd to Chenier in our lineup for our run this year your entitled to that opinion.

Reactions: justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012

:thumbu::thumbu:

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
I don't disagree necessarily, however, their opponent didn't help.
North Bay has no structure and not a tone of skill. It's hard to gt any flow when the other team is running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

NB's power play is just five players trying to shoot every chance they get, so to really criticize the Wolves isn't really fair.

And unfortunately, at every level, teams play down to their opponent - last night might have been that.
But a win is a win. The score should have been 10-2 - instead, 8-4, two points and looking for two more tonight.

The post you are quoting on was from last Saturday, had nothing to do with N.Bay last night!!!!

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017

As an OA he was one of best players on the team. Check the stats at time of trade. So ..should Carson have been traded then? Of course not. An OA trade should only have happened for an OA defensemen , goalie or a lights out forward. We will continue to agree to disagree. As I said, it is done. Hopefully we can play better going forward and make a deep play off run.

Last edited:

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
As an OA he was one of best players on the team. Check the stats. So ..should Carson have been traded then? Of course not. An OA trade should only have happened for an OA defensemen or a lights out forward. We will continue to agree to disagree. As I said, it is done. Hopefully we can play better going forward and make a deep play off run.
Deep playoff run? If you don’t finish first in the weakest division of the ohl, you won’t get past the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad