Friedman: Stars could be stealth team on Erik Karlsson

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
this isn’t the 2018 trade deadline . There not gonna get the same return for Karlsson as they were expecting than .

With July 1st coming up I don't think any team is trading for Karlsson before then because no GM is going to trade the assets necessary to do so without an extension in place. Also with it being the off season and teams have a better idea on what their cap situation is there is going to more than the 3 rumored deadline teams (Tampa. SJ, Vegas) going for Karlsson so his price is probably up if anything.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Link to where it says that's what Vegas offered those exact players? I know Ottawa wanted Glass, never saw the other players mentioned though.

Can't seem to find it, but the person I quoted seems to have seen it he made the Dallas version of the Vegas offer, maybe he can find it.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Heiskanen would 100% have to be involved. along with a couple picks and a young roster player

Faksa
Heiskanen
1st rd pick
2nd rd pick

do you do it stars fans?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Stars hire, ex-marine sniper in stealth camo to poach Karlsson from Sens, more at 11.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think Dallas is better off without him.

Go hard for Tavares.

Dallas is arguably the biggest longshot though. Tavares wants to go to a contender. Dallas has missed back to back

I'd be shocked if it wasn't one of Toronto/Vegas/San Jose IF he leaves New York

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I imagine the Stars will offer a similar package as what Vegas is offering:

Potential top 4 D (Honka, not Heiskanen)
Good young forward (Janmark/Shore)
Good prospect (Robertson/Eriksson/Hintz)
2019 1st
+ maybe another good asset since they wouldn't be taking on Ryan's contract

Stars go into next season with a D looking something like:

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

EK immediately vaults them into contending territory next season, and they have the cap space to re-sign him long-term.

Gross. I'd be done with the Sens if they made that trade.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I imagine the Stars will offer a similar package as what Vegas is offering:

Potential top 4 D (Honka, not Heiskanen)
Good young forward (Janmark/Shore)
Good prospect (Robertson/Eriksson/Hintz)
2019 1st
+ maybe another good asset since they wouldn't be taking on Ryan's contract

Stars go into next season with a D looking something like:

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

EK immediately vaults them into contending territory next season, and they have the cap space to re-sign him long-term.

Honka is mep at this point. Janmark and Shore are not good young forwards and aren't anywhere close to what the Sens wanted in Glass. You pretty much have to take on Ryan's contract for Ottawa to maybe accept this package.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
Heiskanen would 100% have to be involved. along with a couple picks and a young roster player

Faksa
Heiskanen
1st rd pick
2nd rd pick

do you do it stars fans?
I can only speak for myself, but Nope.
Faksa Is too important to us and we are in no position to be trading Centermen and I have zero interest in trading Miro. I couldn't care less about the picks.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Filling needs is so overrated when you can add a superstar like Karlsson.

The 2017 Pittsburgh Penguins had plenty of needs and legitimate flaws on their roster, but they won because they had superstars in Crosby and Malkin, a borderline superstar in Kessel, and goaltending that played at a superstar level for every playoff series. Then in 2018, Washington puts together a pretty mediocre roster compared to every other roster they’ve put up in the Ovechkin era, but they finally win because Ovechkin, Holtby, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov all play at a Conn Smythe superstar level.

Plenty of teams like Nashville, San Jose, Columbus, Carolina, etc. have most of their needs filled, yet they fail to win big because they do not have multiple elite superstar players.

If you can add Erik Karlsson for reasonable assets, you have to do it. You just worry about everything else after. Same goes for Tavares. Jim Nill is smart for being in heavy pursuit of both as he reportedly is.

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
See its post like this that make this place a ****hole. Karlsson is absolutely better than Miro but Miro is a controllable asset for 10 years. Karlsson is 1 year away from being the biggest name to ever hit Ufa with a lot of dumb gms willing to unload tons at him. Miro is perhaps the best or second best defensive prospect in the world right now and even if he never becomes a Karlsson he is going to be a really solid player that is cost controlled and isn't near the age where players start to decline where Karlsson is.
Giving up a 19yr old #1 potential dman on top of everything that would rightly so be required for Karlsson is lunacy with only 1 guaranteed yr from him.
How many years until Heiskanen even set foot in the NHL? And how many years until he can handle himself in the backend? It took Hedman many a season before he became what he is now. Even Klingberg took a long time before he evened out. Wasn't long ago people were saying he belonged in the AHL. Karlsson is in his prime. Defensemen normally hit that prime in their late 20's -early 30's. So what good are those "const-controlled years" if you want to compete now?

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas is not going to get EK and i'm perfectly ok with that but Tavares it is a different story. Dallas is going to get Tavares mark my words.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

Faksa
Heiskanen
1st rd pick
2nd rd pick

do you do it stars fans?
No way!!!!! Moving Faksa hurts us immediately with no replacement for him. Heiskanen is not going to be moved for 1 year of EK. That would be the end of Jim Nill.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
That's true, but you have seen the stars play during the last several seasons right.

Few teams have been consistently able to muster offence like them. On the other hand, they sorely miss someone of caliber of Adam Foote. Karlsson is probably not the direction they should be looking toward.
So, if we set aside Karlssons offensive production, what is it that Karlsson is missing that the Stars need? Physicality? Grit?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How many years until Heiskanen even set foot in the NHL? And how many years until he can handle himself in the backend? It took Hedman many a season before he became what he is now. Even Klingberg took a long time before he evened out. Wasn't long ago people were saying he belonged in the AHL. Karlsson is in his prime. Defensemen normally hit that prime in their late 20's -early 30's. So what good are those "const-controlled years" if you want to compete now?

Heiskanen will be in the NHL next year. Klingberg was a 5th round pick lol no one expected him to turn out the way he did that's a different story.

Reactions: Crocoduck

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
So, if we set aside Karlssons offensive production, what is it that Karlsson is missing that the Stars need? Physicality? Grit?
But the offensive production from the back end is exactly what the Stars need. After Klingberg, they don't get much offense at all from the d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad