Friedman: Stars could be stealth team on Erik Karlsson

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I love how the majority of Stars fans don't want the best defenseman in the world on their team.

Pure lunacy.

Assuming Karlsson would sign for 11m for whatever team he goes on, I would rather have Klingberg at only 37.5% of the cost with a downgrade of maybe 10/15 points, if not less? Additionally, Stars wold probably rather want to use the rest of the space on a player like Tavares.

Besides, if they really wanted to go for a defenseman, they would be going for a player that is really good defensively, like Vlasic from the Sharks. Karlsson is the least of their worries.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Its scary to think if they somehow unloaded Spezza, they could potentially afford BOTH Karlsson and Tavares.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Its scary to think if they somehow unloaded Spezza, they could potentially afford BOTH Karlsson and Tavares.

Yep. They could make it happen to get both for sure. They have the assets to get Karlsson(And I dont even think they have to give up Heiskanen), and they have the money to sign Tavares this summer.

They'll need to unload Hanzal but next summer shouldn't be hard to do that with 1 year left on his deal.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I love how these Stars fans think Klingberg is "good enough" that adding Kalrsson isn't necessary.
In any case, if you want Karlsson, the package must include Heiskanen.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
This, exactly. The only pieces that'd interest Ottawa are Klingberg, Seguin or Miro. I'm not down with any being shipped out. I watched a tonne of Miro this year and am extremely high on the kid.
Ya, why would you trade Miro for Karlsson, I mean Miro has about a 1% chance of ever being as good. HF logic.

Reactions: Slimmy

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Ya, why would you trade Miro for Karlsson, I mean Miro has about a 1% chance of ever being as good. HF logic.
See its post like this that make this place a shithole. Karlsson is absolutely better than Miro but Miro is a controllable asset for 10 years. Karlsson is 1 year away from being the biggest name to ever hit Ufa with a lot of dumb gms willing to unload tons at him. Miro is perhaps the best or second best defensive prospect in the world right now and even if he never becomes a Karlsson he is going to be a really solid player that is cost controlled and isn't near the age where players start to decline where Karlsson is.
Giving up a 19yr old #1 potential dman on top of everything that would rightly so be required for Karlsson is lunacy with only 1 guaranteed yr from him.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I love how these Stars fans think Klingberg is "good enough" that adding Kalrsson isn't necessary.

That bottom sentence is why we think Klingberg is good enough. If we want to build a team good enough to contend we will need Klingberg and Heiskanen’s cheap production over the next 3/4 years. Having half of our top four locked up for just over 5M allows us to spend in other areas.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
If you watched every game he played this year, coupled with the fact he's a cost controlled asset, who's not about to make 10M+, you might understand. He is regarded as the 2nd best dman that's not in the NHL. Karlsson is great, but no thanks.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
That bottom sentence is why we think Klingberg is good enough. If we want to build a team good enough to contend we will need Klingberg and Heiskanen’s cheap production over the next 3/4 years. Having half of our top four locked up for just over 5M allows us to spend in other areas.

It makes a lot of sense. But if this league didn't cap salaries, adding Karlsson would be a huge boost at the expense of Heiskanen.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Klingberg is good enough as a #1RD to make it least needed position to upgrade. Secondary scoring is 10x bigger need than upgrading from Kling to EK

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Klingberg is good enough as a #1RD to make it least needed position to upgrade. Secondary scoring is 10x bigger need than upgrading from Kling to EK

....But Karlsson would provide that secondary scoring, right? Like 50-70 points of it? Doesn’t matter where it’s coming from on the ice as long as it’s going in the net.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Dallas really doesnt make a lot of sense relative to other teams though

With all the talk of Vegas for months id guess they are still the front runner

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
....But Karlsson would provide that secondary scoring, right? Like 50-70 points of it? Doesn’t matter where it’s coming from on the ice as long as it’s going in the net.

I mean sure it could. But I just feel like that Kling & EK would eat into each other's production. Especially if Stars only have one high scoring line and missing those depth guys who can finish the plays that are set up by these guys. In a vacuum EK adds 80points to this lineup, realistically he scores 50-55 and drops Kling's production to 4oish points or along the lines

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Karlsson + Klingberg means you have one or the other on the ice for 50 minutes per night, ie, the team plays almost the entire game with the ice tilted in their favour.

Also, Klingberg's great contract is actually why the move is feasible - it doesn't impede anything. If Klingberg made $7M per season, adding Karlsson at an anticipated $11M per season would be far more unlikely.

Reactions: Slimmy

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think the only way I go to Detroit if I'm him is if I know that they're gonna bring in Karlsson too. Vegas seems like a lateral move with slightly nicer weather. He's gonna have to be the one star guy and it's not a team with a lot right now outside of Karlsson/Marchesault up front once you factor in free agents and stuff.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Let's get McDavid while we are at it. Of course we want him, but we also have to be realistic here

Brutal comparison pal.

Erik Karlsson has:
  • requested a trade
  • nearly been traded once (2018 Trade Deadline to Vegas)
  • one year left on his contract
  • been linked to Dallas in trade rumours

It's not unrealistic to speculate that Jim Nill could trade for Erik Karlsson. At all.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Friedman hearing Stars could be stealth team on Karlsson

Hmm...

Karlsson, Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell, Honka and Johns looks like a real nice core...

For real, I don’t see why Ottawa would ask for anything less than Heiskanen+ and I don’t see the Stars doing that for a soon-to-be UFA who will command at least $12M a year.

Any team interested in Karlsson would make the deal contingent on getting him signed to an extension. That needs to be lined up.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Brutal comparison pal.

Erik Karlsson has:
  • requested a trade
  • nearly been traded once (2018 Trade Deadline to Vegas)
  • one year left on his contract
  • been linked to Dallas in trade rumours

It's not unrealistic to speculate that Jim Nill could trade for Erik Karlsson. At all.

Well he did mention in a recent interview that he wants to add another defenseman so maybe it's not entirely crazy of an idea, but I'm sure the price will be way too high in the end, and I'm sure he meant a depth dman anyways

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Theoretically, sure.....but Dallas also managed to get Tyler Seguin without losing either a first round pick or top prospect. Still the same GM in charge, too. He's not gonna get fleeced.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Karlsson + Klingberg means you have one or the other on the ice for 50 minutes per night, ie, the team plays almost the entire game with the ice tilted in their favour.

Also, Klingberg's great contract is actually why the move is feasible - it doesn't impede anything. If Klingberg made $7M per season, adding Karlsson at an anticipated $11M per season would be far more unlikely.

That's true, but you have seen the stars play during the last several seasons right.

Few teams have been consistently able to muster offence like them. On the other hand, they sorely miss someone of caliber of Adam Foote. Karlsson is probably not the direction they should be looking toward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad