Friedman: Stars could be stealth team on Erik Karlsson

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Heiskanen will be in the NHL next year. Klingberg was a 5th round pick lol no one expected him to turn out the way he did that's a different story.
We will see about Heiskanen. I had high expectations for Klingberg. So, go on? There must be a point you are trying to make?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
This doesn't make sense to me unless Dorion is using Friedman to make other teams that are interested in Karlsson worried and get them to step up there offers.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
We will see about Heiskanen. I had high expectations for Klingberg. So, go on? There must be a point you are trying to make?
I'm willing to bet Heiskanen makes the team this year. If it's not directly out of camp (which I think he will), it'll be similar to Klingberg playing 10-15 games in Cedar Park than getting a call up.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
But the offensive production from the back end is exactly what the Stars need. After Klingberg, they don't get much offense at all from the d-men.
The poster I replied to said they don't need Karlssons production, alternatively that it would eat away at Klingbergs production and end up +/- 0. I believe that to be completely ridiculous. Malkin does not eat away at Crosbys production or vise versa.
But even if we were to entertain that thought, what is it in Karlssons game that is lacking? What is it that the Stars need on the backend that Karlsson can't deliver? Give me specifics.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
When the hell did people say Klingberg belonged in the AHL. Are you high?
When the entire Stars team was struggling and Klingberg was sent down for one or two games, if I recall correctly. Posters were writing all kinds of nonsense.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
When the entire Stars team was struggling and Klingberg was sent down for one or two games, if I recall correct. Posters were writing all kinds of nonsense.

Klingberg was not sent down for one or two games. He was scratched which is something that happened to everyone on that d-core that year because the whole team was garbage and Ruff had no idea how to fix it.

BTW he finished with a measly 49 points.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Klingberg was not sent down for one or two games. He was scratched which is something that happened to everyone on that d-core that year because the whole team was garbage and Ruff had no idea how to fix it.

BTW he finished with a measly 49 points.
I'm not criticising Klingbergs game. I am a big fan of his. He played for my home town team before going to Dallas. But I'm telling you, posters on HF were saying at the time that Klingberg was garbage and that he belonged in the AHL. I'm not making that part up, believe it or not. More outlandish claims have been made on HF, however. Don't understand why you act so shocked?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
When the entire Stars team was struggling and Klingberg was sent down for one or two games, if I recall correctly. Posters were writing all kinds of nonsense.

Yeah, I don't think Klingberg has been sent to the AHL since the start of the 14-15 season my dude

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not criticising Klingbergs game. I am a big fan of his. He played for my home town team before going to Dallas. But I'm telling you, posters on HF were saying at the time that Klingberg was garbage and that he belonged in the AHL. I'm not making that part up, believe it or not. More outlandish claims have been made on HF, however. Don't understand why you act so shocked?

For such a big fan you sure do put a lot of faith in random posters on HF rather than your own experience watching him.

Reactions: Satan

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

My thoughts exactly. Address the forward depth and then have fun with Karlsson if you want. Chances are we don't get either Karlsson or Tavares sadly though

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

My thoughts exactly. Address the forward depth and then have fun with Karlsson if you want. Chances are we don't get either Karlsson or Tavares sadly though

Even if finding some second line offense is the team's #1 need, it might turn out that adding Karlsson is the next best option if the forward free agents out there don't pan out.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It’s well established that Dallas needs another scorer (we’re all about Skinner, Patches, Panarin, so on) but some of us aren’t into the second best scorer available because he’s a defenseman? I don’t get it man.

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
It’s well established that Dallas needs another scorer (we’re all about Skinner, Patches, Panarin, so on) but some of us aren’t into the second best scorer available because he’s a defenseman? I don’t get it man.
It’s because realistically we would need to trade Heiskanen plus other pieces and that ain’t worth it. If we could get Karllson without parting with Benn, Seguin, Klingburg or Heiskanen then defiantly go ahead and try and make the trade but it’s very unlikely that Heiskanen wouldn’t be apart of that.

Also we need offence help and having money tied up on Klingburg, Karlsson, Benn and seguin would be tuff.

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
On some level Karlsson makes more sense as a target than Tavares. The Stars need scoring up front, sure. Karlsson on the ice for 30 minutes a night makes all of the forwards better. Acquiring Karlsson would all but guarantee that at all times one of Karlsson or John Klingberg are on the ice. Not only would every team in the league be envious of that luxury, but new coach Jim Montgomery likes defensemen who can carry and move the puck. None do either better than Karlsson.

Got this tidbit from

Dallas Stars reportedly a 'stealth club' interested in Erik Karlsson. Should they go after him or John Tavares?

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Slimmy
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Heiskanen would 100% have to be involved. along with a couple picks and a young roster player

Faksa
Heiskanen
1st rd pick
2nd rd pick

do you do it stars fans?

No.

Heiskanen would be a no-go. If that kills a deal then so be it. I would whip the Sens with futures of all kinds but not Heiskanen.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
How many years until Heiskanen even set foot in the NHL? And how many years until he can handle himself in the backend? It took Hedman many a season before he became what he is now. Even Klingberg took a long time before he evened out. Wasn't long ago people were saying he belonged in the AHL. Karlsson is in his prime. Defensemen normally hit that prime in their late 20's -early 30's. So what good are those "const-controlled years" if you want to compete now?

Actually no. Klingberg's rookie season was the best season by a Stars D-man since Zubov. He had a down year a bit after that, but even then NOBODY thought he belonged in the AHL. No sane person outside of a GDT that is.

Heiskanen will be here next year. We'll see how long it takes him to adapt.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The poster I replied to said they don't need Karlssons production, alternatively that it would eat away at Klingbergs production and end up +/- 0. I believe that to be completely ridiculous. Malkin does not eat away at Crosbys production or vise versa.
But even if we were to entertain that thought, what is it in Karlssons game that is lacking? What is it that the Stars need on the backend that Karlsson can't deliver? Give me specifics.
There aren't any because Erik Karlsson would help every single team in the NHL win more games. What ridiculous argument are you driving at or hoping to hear?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Actually no. Klingberg's rookie season was the best season by a Stars D-man since Zubov. He had a down year a bit after that, but even then NOBODY thought he belonged in the AHL. No sane person outside of a GDT that is.

Heiskanen will be here next year. We'll see how long it takes him to adapt.
Exactly, no sane person. But there are plenty of idiots to go around on HF.
But that's beside the point. The point being, most if not all defenceman need time to even out and become sound and reliable on both ends of the ice. There's nothing controversial about that at all. Heiskanen will take time to develop. Saying that his cost controlled years are more valuable than having Karlsson under contract on the Stars doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless the stars are not looking to compete for a cup in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad