Friedman: Stars could be stealth team on Erik Karlsson

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
If this trade actually happened, and Dorion doesn't get Heiskanen, that would probably be his last move as Sens GM.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm not criticising Klingbergs game. I am a big fan of his. He played for my home town team before going to Dallas. But I'm telling you, posters on HF were saying at the time that Klingberg was garbage and that he belonged in the AHL. I'm not making that part up, believe it or not. More outlandish claims have been made on HF, however. Don't understand why you act so shocked?
Anyone who thought Kling was AHL level at any point of his NHL career just straight up never saw him play. The only reason he played AHL hockey is because Nill needed to make room for him. Once in the NHL he was dominant from day 1. Has he gotten better? Yeah he is way more rounded now, but that doesnt change the fact that he was still dominating the offensive side of things as a rookie

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Exactly, no sane person. But there are plenty of idiots to go around on HF.
But that's beside the point. The point being, most if not all defenceman need time to even out and become sound and reliable on both ends of the ice. There's nothing controversial about that at all. Heiskanen will take time to develop. Saying that his cost controlled years are more valuable than having Karlsson under contract on the Stars doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless the stars are not looking to compete for a cup in the near future.

Point being, we have a pretty legit top pair without Heiskanen. So whatever he can add right now is sort of bonus. More than likely, how he has handled duties in a Euro men's league, he will be able to come in and be a decent 4th D-man or better.

The scouting report on him is IQ over skill, but the skill factor is very high also. I don't think there is anything weird about saying he is a cost-controlled asset for a good number of years. I personally don't see the point in adding Karlsson at the expense of Heiskanen. Karlsson would be a luxury in Dallas.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Why do people keep thinking any rational GM would trade for Karlsson without an extension in place especially with July 1st around the corner. No team is going to trade the pieces needed for Karlsson without a new extension, because if he leaves after it's career suicide.

I think it's safe to assume if a Karlsson trade happens it's going to be a sign and trade. Dorion has done the last 2 sign and trades that I'm aware of in the NHL (Burrows, Turris).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
On some level Karlsson makes more sense as a target than Tavares. The Stars need scoring up front, sure. Karlsson on the ice for 30 minutes a night makes all of the forwards better. Acquiring Karlsson would all but guarantee that at all times one of Karlsson or John Klingberg are on the ice. Not only would every team in the league be envious of that luxury, but new coach Jim Montgomery likes defensemen who can carry and move the puck. None do either better than Karlsson.

Got this tidbit from

Dallas Stars reportedly a 'stealth club' interested in Erik Karlsson. Should they go after him or John Tavares?

Agreed.

Imagine what having arguably the two best puckmovers in the game on the ice for 50 minutes a night would mean for the Stars forwards.

Would increase forward scoring across the board.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Honka is mep at this point. Janmark and Shore are not good young forwards and aren't anywhere close to what the Sens wanted in Glass. You pretty much have to take on Ryan's contract for Ottawa to maybe accept this package.

I said that was what the Stars would offer, not what the Sens would accept.

I'd want Honka, Janmark/Shore, Oettinger/Point, Robertson, 2019 1st for Karlsson straight up.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Agreed.

Imagine what having arguably the two best puckmovers in the game on the ice for 50 minutes a night would mean for the Stars forwards.

Would increase forward scoring across the board.

Would do absolutely nothing since the forwards right now who would be trying to convert those chances are f***ing Ritchie, Elie and Shore. Does no good to have a brilliant backend to move the puck up the ice to rhe forwards if we don't have forwards, besides the first line, who can score.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

I'd want Honka, Janmark/Shore, Oettinger/Point, Robertson, 2019 1st for Karlsson straight up.

That’s a spicy package to digest, but if it’s Shore that goes (we need Janmark) I probably pull the trigger on that.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

If we feel confident that we can resign Karlsson I could do that. Sure it’s a lot to give up, but we keep the most high end pieces and insure that Karlsson or Klingberg are on the ice for most of the game.

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Janmark - Spezza - Radulov
Hintz - Faksa - XXX
Dickinson - Hanzal - Pitlick

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

Bishop
XXX

We could be a serious cup contender and still have a couple decent prospects in the cupboard.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we feel confident that we can resign Karlsson I could do that. Sure it’s a lot to give up, but we keep the most high end pieces and insure that Karlsson or Klingberg are on the ice for most of the game.

Hintz - Faksa - XXX

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

Bishop
XXX

We could be a serious cup contender and still have a couple decent prospects in the cupboard.

And even after adding Karlsson, Nill would still have a ton of cap space to add another good forward and a competent backup (eg. Grabner and Ward) in free agency. And I don't think there's a better GM at adding talent through free agency.

Hintz - Faksa - Grabner

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

Bishop
Ward

That's absolutely a cup contender right there.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
And even after adding Karlsson, Nill would still have a ton of cap space to add another good forward and a competent backup (eg. Grabner and Ward) in free agency. And I don't think there's a better GM at adding talent through free agency.

Hintz - Faksa - Grabner

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

Bishop
Ward

That's absolutely a cup contender right there.

Yeah I’d be down for that roster. If Dallas can’t sign Tavares, I hope we figure out a way to add Karlsson. Or maybe even both :sarcasm:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Didn't Karlsson say he's not signing anywhere until July 1, 2019? He's not getting traded. Dorion probably really wants to keep him this season anyway.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well that makes no sense at all.

Find any combination of assets not named Seguin, Benn, Klingberg or Heiskanen, ANY combination, and I’m game.
Karlsson is in the conversation for best right handed defenseman of all time. No assets are off the table for Dallas if they want him

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Karlsson is in the conversation for best right handed defenseman of all time. No assets are off the table for Dallas if they want him

In a vacuum I’d agree with you, but I feel as though the uncertainty of one year being left on his deal gives Dallas the ability to negotiate on their terms to some extent. Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg would be lateral moves, and Miro is a cost controlled asset you simply can’t give up on.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If this trade actually happened, and Dorion doesn't get Heiskanen, that would probably be his last move as Sens GM.
When has any team ever landed the equivalent of the #3 overall pick for a rental?

These valuations all read as though people assume Karlsson has multiple years on his deal.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Why do people keep thinking any rational GM would trade for Karlsson without an extension in place especially with July 1st around the corner. No team is going to trade the pieces needed for Karlsson without a new extension, because if he leaves after it's career suicide.

I think it's safe to assume if a Karlsson trade happens it's going to be a sign and trade. Dorion has done the last 2 sign and trades that I'm aware of in the NHL (Burrows, Turris).
I think what we're more likely to see is a conditional trade where the Sens would get something extra (draft pick wise) if Karlsson re-signs with whatever team acquires him.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
When has any team ever landed the equivalent of the #3 overall pick for a rental?

These valuations all read as though people assume Karlsson has multiple years on his deal.
Actually I thought that too, but really most of these posts are under the assumption that the trade would be a sign-and-trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad