Friedman: Stars could be stealth team on Erik Karlsson

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
That's true, but you have seen the stars play during the last several seasons right.

Few teams have been consistently able to muster offence like them. On the other hand, they sorely miss someone of caliber of Adam Foote. Karlsson is probably not the direction they should be looking toward.

They haven't been above average in goal scoring for the last two seasons...

GF/GP
2014-15: 2nd overall
2015-16: 1st overall
2016-17: 16th overall
2017-18: 18th overall

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I love how these Stars fans think Klingberg is "good enough" that adding Kalrsson isn't necessary.
In any case, if you want Karlsson, the package must include Heiskanen.

For the next three years Klingberg and Heiskanen will make just over 5M combined. EK is going to want 10M + when his contract is up. Dallas would be smarter to stick with what they have and use that extra cap on a forward

Now if they could trade for EK without giving up Heiskanen or Klingberg then sure go for it

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
For the next three years Klingberg and Heiskanen will make just over 5M combined. EK is going to want 10M + when his contract is up. Dallas would be smarter to stick with what they have and use that extra cap on a forward

Now if they could trade for EK without giving up Heiskanen or Klingberg then sure go for it

Seguin is what I initially thought of.

The point of trading for Karlsson is to have either Karl or Klindberg on the ice at all times so I dont see Klindberg as the centerpiece of the deal

Seguin is young enough for Ottawas retool and would be a great fit with Stone - but Dallas has that amazing top line and needs secondary scoring so i dont see how that works either (unless they think Seguin wont resign with them)

hard to see a fit with these two teams but Friedman is one of the top insiders so theres that

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Seguin is what I initially thought of.

The point of trading for Karlsson is to have either Karl or Klindberg on the ice at all times so I dont see Klindberg as the centerpiece of the deal

Seguin is young enough for Ottawas retool and would be a great fit with Stone - but Dallas has that amazing top line and needs secondary scoring so i dont see how that works either (unless they think Seguin wont resign with them)

hard to see a fit with these two teams but Friedman is one of the top insiders so theres that
I'd do Seguin for Karlsson.

Chabot becomes the 1a. Sens would also have Ceci, Wideman, Harpur, Borowiecki, England, Wolanin, Cleasson, etc. Sens would probably have to dip into free agency for another top 4.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'd do Seguin for Karlsson.

Chabot becomes the 1a. Sens would also have Ceci, Wideman, Harpur, Borowiecki, England, Wolanin, Cleasson, etc. Sens would probably have to dip into free agency for another top 4.

Unless Dallas signs Tavares they won't be moving Seguin. Dallas already needs a 2C

Reactions: Kcb12345

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Dallas wouldn't trade Seguin for EK though. That would leave the team once again without #1C and in no spot to compete. Supposedly if we add Tavares as well? Yah no, effectively adding in $20mil+ of cap while not being any closer than before since missing those middle six scoring forwards..

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I imagine the Stars will offer a similar package as what Vegas is offering:

Potential top 4 D (Honka, not Heiskanen)
Good young forward (Janmark/Shore)
Good prospect (Robertson/Eriksson/Hintz)
2019 1st
+ maybe another good asset since they wouldn't be taking on Ryan's contract

Stars go into next season with a D looking something like:

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

EK immediately vaults them into contending territory next season, and they have the cap space to re-sign him long-term.

Reactions: Bfantz

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC

2019 1st

Stars go into next season with a D looking something like:

Methot - Karlsson
Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns

EK immediately vaults them into contending territory next season, and they have the cap space to re-sign him long-term.

Theadore >> Honka
Tuch > Janmark/Shore
Suzuki/Glass >> Robertson/Eriksson/Hintz
2019 1st = 2019 1st

(Ottawa wanted Glass Vegas offered Suzuki)

And that was with taking on Ryan so your gonna have to do better lol.

Reactions: branch

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Theadore >> Honka
Tuch > Janmark/Shore
2019 1st = 2019 1st

Link to where it says that's what Vegas offered those exact players? I know Ottawa wanted Glass, never saw the other players mentioned though.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
When does Toronto media and fans start saying Seguin will sign with the Leafs when he's available? It's like a never ending circle.
As soon as he is able to sign an extension but doesn't.
Then it will get become louder and louder as he approaches UFA status ( see Stamkos and Tavares)
The worst that happens is the Leafs will force up Seguin's contract hurting Dallas.
:D

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

2019 1st

Just because you shove random names in there does not make it "similar". Janmark and Robertson as key pieces in a trade for Erik Karlsson is delusional.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stars are in a great position cap wise even with Seguin needing a deal next year because Spezza and Methot (12.5M) will be off the books. Hanzal only has a year left once Seguin kicks in. They have 19M currently with no one notable to sign.

I don't know if they have the assets to get Karlsson unless they want to move Heiskanen but they probably could fit both Tavares and Karlsson in which is scary.
50% of the cap on 4 players, NBA style. Would be interesting, for sure.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't know why any Sens fan would want Seguin back. With the state of the Ottawa franchise there is almost zero chance he would re-sign there.

I don't know if Dallas has the pieces to get it done, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nill make a big offer of mostly futures type stuff. He is managing for his job now.

Reactions: Karitimes

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Theadore >> Honka
Tuch > Janmark/Shore
2019 1st = 2019 1st

this isn’t the 2018 trade deadline . There not gonna get the same return for Karlsson as they were expecting than .

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad