Friedman: Stars could be stealth team on Erik Karlsson

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
This was talked about 6 months ago.. and it doesn't make sense.

Klingberg is good enough, way cheaper, and younger.

Heiskanen is cheap and cost controlled for YEARS.. so why trade him for the older crazy expensive player when you are trying to lock up Benn, Seguin, Tavares to long term big money?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No way Stars give up Heiskanen or Klingberg, which makes it hard to figure out what the return would be.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I love how the majority of Stars fans don't want the best defenseman in the world on their team.

Pure lunacy.

Not that no one wouldn't want him. More that don't wanna loose sh**ton of pieces and then get into a cap problem. Especially having similar player in Klingberg

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If there’s one thing Nill’s proven that he’s good at, it’s managing a cap. So knowing that, sure, why not

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Maybe because they don't need a player like that when they have players similar to him, and they'd rather address positions of need instead?

Pure lunacy indeed. How dare they address bigger needs?! ****in bozos.

We're talking about a team who has year after year iced a bottom 10 defense. Up until last year, our blueline has looked hopeless.

There is absolutely room for an elite defenseman on this team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Not that no one wouldn't want him. More that don't wanna loose sh**ton of pieces and then get into a cap problem. Especially having similar player in Klingberg

I'd rather have a $1 bill than a bunch of loose change. There's no issue with having Klingberg and EK65 on the same team. Nashville rolls out Josi and Subban on separate pairs and nobody says boo.

Have you heard of something called the salary cap?

We have 20M to play with this season, my dude. The cap is the least of our worries, even when it comes to re-signing TS91.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
We're talking about a team who has year after year iced a bottom 10 defense. Up until last year, our blueline has looked hopeless.

There is absolutely room for an elite defenseman on this team.
At the cost of elite defensemen. Yes, I realize that you're getting someone better, but you have to think about whether it's worth it or not just for an upgrade. Heiskanen has too much upside to move right now. And you don't get Karlsson unless you give Miro up. Bare minimum.

Reactions: TampaWantsTheCup

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I feel like turning your nose up at elite generational talent, at any position, is absolutely ridiculous. You’d trade futures for him, and they’re called futures for a reason. This team needs to start winning yesterday.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not that I don’t want Karlsson, I just don’t think we have the assets to acquire him. Only way we could get it done is if we are able to sign Tavares, then deal Seguin for Karlsson. And that’s about as long of a shot as you can get.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
At the cost of elite defensemen. Yes, I realize that you're getting someone better, but you have to think about whether it's worth it or not just for an upgrade. Heiskanen has too much upside to move right now. And you don't get Karlsson unless you give Miro up. Bare minimum.
This, exactly. The only pieces that'd interest Ottawa are Klingberg, Seguin or Miro. I'm not down with any being shipped out. I watched a tonne of Miro this year and am extremely high on the kid.

Reactions: WhatWhat

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I'd rather have a $1 bill than a bunch of loose change. There's no issue with having Klingberg and EK65 on the same team. Nashville rolls out Josi and Subban on separate pairs and nobody says boo.

Yeah for sure, I'd love him on the team. Would kill to have Kling, EK and Heiskanen on the back end. But I don't see that as a viable option. One of them would likely go the other way. Unless Nill manages to bamboozle Dorion into a deal made up of picks, Honka, prospects. And then convinces EK to take less than 9,5mil per. Feel like JT or Panarin would be wiser target. Just my 0.02¢

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
This makes less sense than the Tavares rumours. Im gonna go out on a limb here and say we dont get Tavares or Karlsson because neither really make all that much sense for us to be in on

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I might be out to lunch, but my gut feeling is that Karlsson is on his way down already, while Klingberg on his way up.

Reactions: Karitimes

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
then dont expect to have a franchise D

lmao main board is such a meme
Well thats the thing... We dont expect to get Karlsson because it straight up makes no sense for us to pay that big of a price for him and then leave the rest of the holes unaddressed

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I love how the majority of Stars fans don't want the best defenseman in the world on their team.

Pure lunacy.
Maybe because there are more positions than RD...

We have big holes at other positions and the increase of getting at 1 RD of Karlsson over Klingberg isnt as big of a net gain for the team as getting Nuke or Ritchie out of atop 6 RW spot or Shore/Janmark out of a top 6 LW spot. Its all about maximizing the teams output and filling the wings for way cheaper is a much smarter idea

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
With contracts involved I wouldnt move Klingberg for Karlsson straight up. I think you are better off having a slightly less Kling for 4.25 instead of a better Karlsson at 11-12

It wouldnt be a good move to move Klingberg to anybody. That 4.5 contract is cheap. And Karlsson isnt worth 11. Maybe 9.65.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Maybe because there are more positions than RD...

We have big holes at other positions and the increase of getting at 1 RD of Karlsson over Klingberg isnt as big of a net gain for the team as getting Nuke or Ritchie out of atop 6 RW spot or Shore/Janmark out of a top 6 LW spot. Its all about maximizing the teams output and filling the wings for way cheaper is a much smarter idea

I agree with your premise but your evaluation isn't right.

Karlsson over Klingberg -> Upgrade
Klingberg over Stephen Johns -> Massive upgrade
Stephen Johns or Julius Honka on the bottom pair -> Reasonable bottom pairing guys.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
When does Toronto media and fans start saying Seguin will sign with the Leafs when he's available? It's like a never ending circle.
media and to fans think every superstar will sign with them. never happens because who wants to play in that pressure filled crazy market. no one that's why ufas don't roll to the leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad