SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
This could be that stick a fork in them moment, were losing to Guelph, both Erie and Owen Sound are winning. Need to win this game!

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
as Old hound suggested, today's loss may have put things out of reach.
bummer but we're not statistically out of it yet.

Last edited:

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
as Old hound suggested, today's loss may have put things out of reach.
bummer but we're not statistically out of it yet.

I truly believed we would get on a roll and somehow win a few 50/50 games. We needed to go 3-1 not 1-3 over the last four. I agree we are not statistically out of it, but we will likely lose 8 or the last 11. I do not understand why were are so average. Frustrating!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Who knows, maybe we could still go on a roll. The only disappointing effort in recent memory was Hamilton on Saturday, and even that game had us only down by one early in the third.

The boys have been playing some good hockey. Maybe lady luck starts to shine on them.

Reactions: newhound777

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
just saw most recent Sault Star. Peca called the shootout loss bittersweet and thats pretty accurate.
they came back late, they got a point, and most of the season you're happy with that.

with just over a month left there's still time to make a push but it's definitely rally cap time.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Without anyone questioning my commitment to Dale’s request for a rally cap - it may be useful to begin some chatter about the upcoming ohl draft.

Should the headgear not establish the desired results, we most likely would finish with the 4th overall pick.

It’s been a while since we have seen players in that area of the draft. I understand we have a history of drafting well and pulling quality players out from areas far later than the top 5 picks. However, it’s undeniable that a team could potentially find something special that high in a draft.

Who is available? What needs would we be filling? Is anyone going to be considered an immediate impact that may help with a run next season?

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Traditionally top 5 picks are not traded in their 16 year old year. It may hurt our run more than help it.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Traditionally top 5 picks are not traded in their 16 year old year. It may hurt our run more than help it.
I would certainly think we may receive more from a top 5 pick than any of the bottom 4/5 forwards in our line up.
I wasn’t suggesting anything to do with a trade.
I’m sure a case could be made that any of the top 5 from this past season’s draft (outside of Wright as that’s an anomaly) would be a welcomed edition to any contending team right now.

Last edited:

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Sault with 2 more wins than Erie, but currently 4 points back having played 2 extra games. Erie has a remarkable 11 points from losing games. Rewarding the trap.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
According to my calculations, Kerins is a top 5 sniper league-wide.

NameTeamSH%GSOG
Garreffa, JosephOTT25.9%28108
Giroux, DamienSAG23.8%34143
Jenik, JanHAM23.4%2294
Byfield, QuintonSBY23.4%32137
Kerins, RorySOO23.0%28122
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

To calculate this, I looked at player stats on the OHL website, and sorted by goals (descending). I exported the results to excel (it gives top 100 results), and then in excel I divided goals by shots and sorted by the new column. I knew he was leading the team in goals, but had no idea he was converting his chances at this kind of rate.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Great SH% for sure, and it might bode well for the future. but Robertson, Kaliyev, Quinn, McMichael are not that list; so, that list might be more about players that should attempt more shots than it is about snipers.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
For sure, would love to see Kerins attempt more shots. And FYI, Quinn 6, Robertson 8, McMichael 26, Kaliyev 42.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
ProspectPipeline has a few locals ranked in the OHL Draft Rankings:
30 Devin Mauro
58 Connor Toms

Any others?

2020 OHL Draft Ranking: February’s Top-150
Heard from ohl scouts that sit around me that this is the year of top talent coming from the USA. We must make sure that who we draft will show up because more and more USA players are staying in USA leagues or going the college route. Great site for OHL draft prospects.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
ProspectPipeline has a few locals ranked in the OHL Draft Rankings:
30 Devin Mauro
58 Connor Toms

Any others?

2020 OHL Draft Ranking: February’s Top-150
Hockey Pops,
Would you make sure that this list is not copyright protected and that you're permitted to post it publicly? If it's copyright protected, then I'll have to ask you to remove it. If no permission is needed to post, then just disregard my message. Thanks.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
According to my calculations, Kerins is a top 5 sniper league-wide.

NameTeamSH%GSOG
Garreffa, JosephOTT25.9%28108
Giroux, DamienSAG23.8%34143
Jenik, JanHAM23.4%2294
Byfield, QuintonSBY23.4%32137
Kerins, RorySOO23.0%28122
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To calculate this, I looked at player stats on the OHL website, and sorted by goals (descending). I exported the results to excel (it gives top 100 results), and then in excel I divided goals by shots and sorted by the new column. I knew he was leading the team in goals, but had no idea he was converting his chances at this kind of rate.

Is that a good thing? Shooting at a 23%+ clip means he's been getting somewhat lucky with shots as usually they dont go in a quarter of the time, so hes bound to go through some regression right? Whereas if he was shooting like 18% you'd be more happy because that is less likely to go throuh a regression

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Is that a good thing? Shooting at a 23%+ clip means he's been getting somewhat lucky with shots as usually they dont go in a quarter of the time, so hes bound to go through some regression right? Whereas if he was shooting like 18% you'd be more happy because that is less likely to go throuh a regression

You're on record saying that shooting percentage is based entirely on the skill of the shooter and quality of the chances.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
You're on record saying that shooting percentage is based entirely on the skill of the shooter and quality of the chances.

Sorry I forgot I couldnt ask OHL related questions without going through the self-appointed gate keeper. This place would be so much better if you just allowed people to talk and not butt into literllay every single conversation. Stop doing that, please

What I said was in no way confontational or disparaging so why jump in and try to turn it into an arguemnt, when you werent even involved? Like for what? :huh:

Last edited:
Reactions: shot caller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad