SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Can't quote because the last thread is closed but

Fisch: "As for the draft picks, both teams are pretty much even with 11 picks in the top 4 rounds of the 2021-24 drafts. I don't see any significant difference there."

How many of those are fourth round picks for the Soo? Who counts fourth round picks when determining how much buying power a team's draft cupboard has?

6 2nds, 5 3rds for Oshawa.
4 2nds, 3 3rds for the Soo.

11 to 7.

No one is counting 4th round picks. No one wants to know how many 5's you have when people are going to be asking for 100's and 50's.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2019-2020 Season stats
I am going to try to keep this updated with our prospects and links to any current season stats that we can find on each. I would like to crowd source this information, so if you find a link to someone's stats please post below and I will update this post with it accordingly.

2003 Prospects
2019, 1st - Holmes, Jacob (D)
2019, 3rd - Boudreau, Marc (F)

2019, 4th - D'Intino, Jordan (F) - Strathroy Rockets (GOJHL)
2019, 5th - Parsons, Owen (F) - Waterloo Wolves Midget AAA (AHMPL)
2019, 6th - Brzustowski, Luc (D) - Kitchener Dutchmen (GOJHL)
2019, 7th - Taylor, Coulter (G) - Upper Canada College (CISAA)
2019, 8th - Haymes, Luke (F) - Ridley College (MPHL)
2019, 9th - Chiddenton, Rhys (F) - Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) & Timmins Rock (NOJHL)
2019, 10th - Brown, Hunter (D) - Kemptville 73's Midget AAA (HEOMAAA)
2019, 11th - Savard, Tyler (F) - Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL)
2019, 12th - DiPasquo, Luca (G) - Honeybaked U16 (HPHL U16)
2019, 13th - Miller, Connor (F) - Honeybaked U16 (HPHL U16)
2019, 14th - DeVries, Luke (D) - Stratford Warriors (GOJHL)
2019, 15th - Heroux, Logan (D) - Oakland Jr. Grizzlies U16 (HPHL U16)

2002 Prospects

2018, 1st - O'Rourke, Ryan (D)
2018, 4th - Kerins, Rory (F)
2018, 5th - Watson, Kalvyn (F)
2018, 7th - Mufarreh, Dominic (F)

2018, 7th - McGuire, Cole (D) - Pickering Panthers (OJHL)
2018, 8th - Tomasini, Tyson (F) - Nepean Raiders (CCHL)
2018, 8th - Mann, Nate (F) - Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL)
2018, 9th - Halushak, Matthew (D)
2018, 10th - Parker, Owen (G) - Nichols School (CISAA)
2018, 11th - Brown, Finn (F) - St. Michaels Buzzers (OJHL) - RPI Commit ('21-'22)
2018, 13th - McIntyre, Justin (G) - EJ Kassel U20 (DNL U20 3)
2018, 14th - Gorton, Jack (F) - Mid-Fairfield Rangers U18 (EHF 18U Elite)
2019I, 1st - Malik, Nick (G) - HC Fridek Mistek U19 (Czech2 U19 Chance Liga)
2019U, 1st - Frechette, Alexandre (F) - Rockland Nationals (CCHL)
2019U, 2nd - Zeppa, Noah (G) - Hearst Lumberjacks (NOJHL)
2019U, 3rd - Timchenko, Alexander (F) - Sakhalinskiye Akuly (MHL)
FA - Dickinson, Tanner (F)

2001 Prospects
2017, 1st - Fowler, Hayden (F) - traded
2017, 3rd - Calisti, Robert (D)
2017, 4th - Carroll, Joseph (F)

2017, 5th - Beecher, John (F) - Michigan University
2017, 5th - MacKay, Cole (F)
2017, 6th - Johnston, Alex (F)
2017, 8th - Kartye, Tye (F)
2017, 9th - Taylor, Ethan (G)

2017, 11th - Seguin, Kobe (D) - Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL)
2017, 12th - Dreger, Mason (F)
2017, 13th - McMahon, Zackery (D)
2017, 14th - Letto, Paul (D) - New Jersey Rockets (NCDC)
2017, 15th - Porter, Owen (G) - Brampton Bombers (GOJHL)
2017, 15th - McLean, Cullen (F)
2018, 12th - Caufield, Cole (F) - Wisconsin University
2018I, 2nd - Pytlik, Jaromir (F)

Note on junior leagues:
BCHL, CCHL, NOJHL, OJHL, SIJHL are Junior A leagues.
PJHL, GOJHL are Junior B leagues.
Tier 1 in the US is called USHL. HPHL is not junior - it's midget.

Here is our approximate depth Chart by position.

LWCRWLDRDG
Kartye L (01)Pytlik R (01)Trott L (00)O'Rourke L (02)Constantinou R (01)Brkin (99)
Carroll L (01)Kerins L (02)MacKay R (01)LeGuerrier L (00)Wawrow R (01)Malik (02)
Dickinson L (02)Johnston L (01)Peca R (99)Calisti L (01)Holmes L (03)Taylor, E 33 (01)
Boudreau L (03)McLean L (01)Watson R (02)Halushak L (02)
Mufarreh R (02)
Savard L (03)D'Intino L (03)Parsons R (03)Brzustowski L (03)Brown, H R (03)DiPasquo (03)
Chiddenton L (03)Haymes L (03)Brown, F R (02)DeVries L (03)Heroux R (03)Taylor, C (03)
Mann L (02)Tomasini R (02)Gorton R (02)McGuire L (02)Zeppa (02)
Timchenko L (02)Caufield R (01)Parker (02)
Frechette L (02)McIntyre (02)
Miller R (03)
Beecher L (01)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2018-2019 Season stats - See Old Prospects Thread, post #2

Please see @Marj44 excellent March 6, 2020 Prospect Update Post

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it's worth noting that Oshawa has those picks AFTER they made the Tomasino trade. i wish we had stockpiled more assets if a bid for mem cup was in mind.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I met branch and his dad they're already IN TOWN. I shook their hand. They told me that the Soo is getting the memorial cup confirmed

I know that he is in the Soo and I want to believe you, but that would be an awfully bold statement for him to make considering the big money that other teams are spending to make a bid.

That being said, the fact that they are looking for a small market is encouraging. Oshawa has well over 2 million people within 50 kilometers of the arena, making them the second largest market in the league behind Mississauga (Hamilton also close) using that criteria. It sounds like the league wants to avoid dense metropolitan areas and come to a true hockey town like they did in Shawinigan and have done in London.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Didn't see it reported yet, Barrett Hayton had a goal in his AHL debut on Wednesday for Tucson.
Roadrunners Recap: Tucson (2) at Bakersfield (4): 2/5/2020 - TucsonRoadrunners.com

Also of note in the article:
Hayton, who remains on Long Term Injured Reserve with the Coyotes, can remain with the Roadrunners for a maximum of three games (including tonight) or six days, as reported earlier in the day by ArizonaCoyotes.com, despite being a 19-year-old North American-born skater.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
no way does the SSM roster and potential to upgrade warrant confidence in being a possible 2021 tournament winner.
@dirty12 you are on the record many times stating the above opinion. Many Hounds supporters have disagreed, and now the Hounds GM is on record that he also disagrees.
Hounds believe in '20-21 — RUICCI COLUMN
“We expect to be a serious championship contender next year,” said Raftis, in the midst of his sixth season with the club. “We definitely return a lot of guys and we expect our players to take leaps in their development.”
And then there’s this: With the volume within their draft cupboard restored, the Hounds would be able – and willing – to be very active before the 2021 OHL trade deadline.

“We’re more than willing to address the roster before the deadline,” said Raftis, whose team will finally have a second-round draft choice again beginning in 2021.
Every season fans in the Soo see our players take big leaps forward in development, and I have no reason to believe this will not again be the case with this group. Further, the organization must also believe, as there is no way they would be submitting a bid to host without having the potential to ice a winner. I value your opinion, and enjoy reading your posts for the most part, but in this I think you may want to re-evaluate as it seems you are way out in left field.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
@dirty12 you are on the record many times stating the above opinion. Many Hounds supporters have disagreed, and now the Hounds GM is on record that he also disagrees.

Every season fans in the Soo see our players take big leaps forward in development, and I have no reason to believe this will not again be the case with this group. Further, the organization must also believe, as there is no way they would be submitting a bid to host without having the potential to ice a winner. I value your opinion, and enjoy reading your posts for the most part, but in this I think you may want to re-evaluate as it seems you are way out in left field.
I mean...I would hope the GM would disagree with an HFboards poster who says his team won’t be that good next year.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
You'll have a good goaltending tandem, strong defensive core coming back and a lot of really good forwards with the ability to trade for more. As far as other Western contenders, there is Windsor, Soo and a lot of teams on a down cycle. This is as good a time as any to bid, especially if a couple of drafted Americans decide to come to the Soo next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I will stand by my opinion that SSM is average as is going into next season; but if ‘able and willing to be very active’, they can separate themselves from the average to become contender status as long as Windsor, London, Flint are not as willing. I believe that of Kingston too. And, it’s what I thought that the wolves would do at the past deadline to be a worthy 2-seed.

Reactions: louis

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I will stand by my opinion that SSM is average as is going into next season; but if ‘able and willing to be very active’, they can separate themselves from the average to become contender status as long as Windsor, London, Flint are not as willing. I believe that of Kingston too.
Your other posts had us fighting for a playoff spot next season, which I strongly disagree with. But certainly another year worth of moves can move the needle for any team.

As far as the other teams you mentioned, Flint is graduating 10 players and has a weaker cupboard than we do. Yes, they have some good players returning, but I don't think they are going to have the depth to make a serious run. London will be young next year like we were this year, but if McMichael returns who knows what they do with their stocked cupboard? Windsor will be good again and also has picks, but I view them as more of a 2021-2022 team. Kingston I agree should be very strong on paper, but do they have enough time to put it all together for next season?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Your other posts had us fighting for a playoff spot next season, which I strongly disagree with. But certainly another year worth of moves can move the needle for any team.

As far as the other teams you mentioned, Flint is graduating 10 players and has a weaker cupboard than we do. Yes, they have some good players returning, but I don't think they are going to have the depth to make a serious run. London will be young next year like we were this year, but if McMichael returns who knows what they do with their stocked cupboard? Windsor will be good again and also has picks, but I view them as more of a 2021-2022 team. Kingston I agree should be very strong on paper, but do they have enough time to put it all together for next season?

Well, Guelph, Erie, OS are sort of fighting for a playoff spot, right? 5-8 is where I see the hounds going into next season; it’s early, offseason can change things.
London does things like add Merkley & Phillips for (2,2,3,3,4). London will be the top team when they choose to be.
I’m not sure what 10 players you think Flint will graduate. Dellandrea & OAs for sure. Yule probably won’t be a desirable OA. Every other 2000 born is a pretty good bet to return at some point, some for trade. I think Flint has 7 returning 2001; and, effectively a full compliment of picks plus extra OA to trade for more picks. They are in great shape for next season, imo.
Kingston has room for an import and 3-OAs, (if they choose). They can vastly improve cheap. Wright is truly exceptional, on pace for 40 goals.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't notice at the time, but the Greyhounds are the top team in the CHL with seven players ranked in the NHL Central Scouting midterm rankings. That includes 5 players in the top 75 overall.

The remaining 19 OHL teams average only 2.6 players ranked.

Windsor (6)
Guelph (5)
Erie
Kitchener (3)
Sudbury
London
Ottawa
Kingston
Barrie
Oshawa
Saginaw (2)
Hamilton
Mississauga
Niagara
Flint (1)
Peterborough
Owen Sound
Sarnia
North Bay

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Is Pytlyk expected to return to the Soo next year? If so, fair to assume you 'pass' at the Import Draft assuming Pytlyk isn't selected in the first rd of NHL draft?
Malik plus Pytlyk = Pass (@ Import Draft).

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Pytlyk will be back. He has a lot of raw skill and speed that he hasn't quite learned to control yet IMO.

I believe you are correct that we will forgo our import selections.

Reactions: nelli27

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Pytlik will have to return, provided he isn’t staying next with whichever team drafts him. He isn’t on loan so he will fall under the CHL rules for drafted players.
Malik, on the other hand, is on loan and his status will very much depend on his NHL team. If he is drafted and feels secure; his nhl team feels his development is on track and they are Euro league friendly, then it’s not out of the question that he heads back to Europe to play for a pay cheque.

However, based on what I have been told, if I were to place a friendly wager - I would be fairly confident that both will be back next year.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Another 4+ goal goal for the opposition. Can we talk about the defense yet? Are we done scapegoating goalies now?

A quote in yesterday's Toronto Star regarding the Leafs' defensive woes made me laugh out loud as it reminded me of our beloved Hounds:

"On a lot of nights, they only pay intermittent attention to the defensive details."

Looking forward to playing Niagara tonight. They lost their last game 11-1 so it would appear they have their own defensive woes...

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Pytlik will have to return, provided he isn’t staying next with whichever team drafts him. He isn’t on loan so he will fall under the CHL rules for drafted players.
Malik, on the other hand, is on loan and his status will very much depend on his NHL team. If he is drafted and feels secure; his nhl team feels his development is on track and they are Euro league friendly, then it’s not out of the question that he heads back to Europe to play for a pay cheque.

However, based on what I have been told, if I were to place a friendly wager - I would be fairly confident that both will be back next year.

I never saw anything about a loan in the official press release. Can you share a link?

Reactions: Houndzfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad