SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Wrong. Frost, Howdeshell, Hayton, Hollowell, Sandbrook, Villata. I could have sat behind this team and won more games.

What is wrong? He also had 9 rookies dressing regularly and couldn't have done much better in my opinion. That team wasn't expected to make a serious run, but they did.

Nitro1473

Nov 16, 2018
All I know if Calisti has been on the ice for 13 of the last 20 goals against. But he keeps getting top 4 ice. He consistently misses his defensive assignments because his first thoughts are always towards the opponents goal and not focusing on his own. If I'm coaching there's a 0% chance he's playing in a 3 on 3 overtime. I don't care how many points you get when you can't keep the puck out of your own net.

Reactions: staubitz

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
...If I'm coaching there's a 0% chance he's playing in a 3 on 3 overtime. I don't care how many points you get when you can't keep the puck out of your own net.
I’ll disagree with this part of your statement for the following reason. When I saw Calisti come out for the 3 on 3 OT I remember saying “this could work if he’s at forward”. With his skating, speed and creativity I think he’s a great player to have playing the OT HOWEVER, you would need a stronger defensive guy at defence. With O’Rourke and LeGuerrier already recently out there and Halushak scratched, I wouldn’t trust Wawrow or Constantinou on the rear end in said scenario. Holmes is great but too raw, especially given the talent the opposition ran in OT.
Once I saw Calisti line up on defence I specifically told the person next to me that we might as well head out, and within 10 seconds it was done.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Calisti does what he does because the coach encourages it. Otherwise he would be sitting on the bench. Stop blaming the player

To insert a sensitive "touchy-feely" tone into this discussion (because that's what we hockey fans are all about!), I will applaud Calisti for the remarkable increase in his offensive numbers this season. This is a fellow who registered 2 goals and 5 assists in 59 games last year, and he currently has 15 goals and 27 assists in 57 games this year. Huge increase!

If/when we are eliminated from playoff contention, maybe the suits behind the bench should consider making Calisti a forward for the rest of the season and giving some more ice-time to the 6'3" Halushak on D. Would like to see what he can do!

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
IMO we need an upgrade to our top 4 D this summer, ideally a true top pairing parnter for O'Rourke.

I don't feel like our defensive players/systems progressed very much. Not sure if that's on players or personnel but I hope it is addressed in the summer.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, Erie and Owen Sound play each other back 2 back, and it will be interesting to see the outcome from those games.

In fact, after tomorrow they will have played each other 5 times in less than a month. Owen Sound won the first 3 meetings this month. Erie can't be happy about that.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
IMO we need an upgrade to our top 4 D this summer, ideally a true top pairing parnter for O'Rourke.

I don't feel like our defensive players/systems progressed very much. Not sure if that's on players or personnel but I hope it is addressed in the summer.
I was thinking we could bring in something like a Declan Chisholm and Nick Robertson. Would that help?

Would probably have to wait until January though. I would be ok with waiting for that.

Reactions: Marj44

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
I was thinking we could bring in something like a Declan Chisholm and Nick Robertson. Would that help?

Would probably have to wait until January though. I would be ok with waiting for that.
I was actually just thinking if the hounds were to go all in next season, one trade i like is to acquire Nick Robertson and Jack York. With the spare defencemen and forwards we have something like that would add a stud forward and a dependable right handed Dman to play that side with Constantinou.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I was actually just thinking if the hounds were to go all in next season, one trade i like is to acquire Nick Robertson and Jack York. With the spare defencemen and forwards we have something like that would add a stud forward and a dependable right handed Dman to play that side with Constantinou.
Remember what you guys were thinking you could get for Hayton? Now go look at the draft picks you’ll have available for trade next year. To get a “Barrett Hayton” (or close) is gonna be expensive. Then you need a top pairing D? Aren’t you guys gonna be cutting it awfully close?

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Remember what you guys were thinking you could get for Hayton? Now go look at the draft picks you’ll have available for trade next year. To get a “Barrett Hayton” (or close) is gonna be expensive. Then you need a top pairing D? Aren’t you guys gonna be cutting it awfully close?

Likely returning defensemen ranked by number of points:

1. Chisholm
2. McCourt
3. Harley
4. Constantinou
5. Calisti
6. Drysdale
7. Millman
8. Staios
9. O'Rourke
10. Henault
11. Clarke
12. LeGuerrier

A top pairing defensemen isn't exactly the biggest need. That's 4 of the top 12 (give or take) offensive performers in the league, with 2 of them also being very stout defenders.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Aren’t you guys gonna be cutting it awfully close?

Don't get me started on that. We had last season to recoup picks and Raftis pooped the bed. You are entirely correct. If you look at the type of picks the hounds spent in 2015 and 2018 and try to imagine us making moves like that next year the math doesn't add up without the Soo being bottom feeders for many years afterwards.

Reactions: count35

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Likely returning defensemen ranked by number of points:

1. Chisholm
2. McCourt
3. Harley
4. Constantinou
5. Calisti
6. Drysdale
7. Millman
8. Staios
9. O'Rourke
10. Henault
11. Clarke
12. LeGuerrier

A top pairing defensemen isn't exactly the biggest need. That's 4 of the top 12 (give or take) offensive performers in the league, with 2 of them also being very stout defenders.

You think Corcoran will get signed but not Chisholm? Chisholm drafted ahead of him and has more points

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
also, propp had a good game! nice to see!
upload_2020-2-23_0-24-11.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear54 and count35

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You think Corcoran will get signed but not Chisholm? Chisholm drafted ahead of him and has more points

I think that Corcoran has really stood out in the defensive end this year. He's a guy I get to see a lot more often as well. I was just quickly making my best guess in order to illustrate a point.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I see this every game. Wawrow gives up the pick once and the coach is F-bombing him while 8 and 22 are out there giving up a 2 on 0.

I don't understand why so many comments are negative towards Dean. I agree he didn't need to do much last season for a win given the firepower on the team, but I do feel we probably should have made more of a run. This season was truly a test for the Dean and his staff and I feel they did okay. He is the current coach and we will have many more in the future. For me, the players are the only part of the equation that matters. I must say, F-bombing players in the society we live in today is not acceptable in my book. A coach should be both intellectually qualified and poised to be able to coach a player without screaming at him, degrading him or cursing at him.

Reactions: deeebest

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Ideally, you don’t want Calisti or Constantinou vs other teams’ top six; so, adding a top 3 defender would be a good idea to limit Calisti & Constantinou 5 on 5 and keep them more rested for the PP, imo.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015

I’m aware that a trade like I presented would cost a lot. The good news is the hounds have players to sent back instead of purely picks. I also don’t think Robertson would have the same value as Hayton and laugh at your evaluation of Jack York as a top pairing defenceman.
I don’t think SSM would make a trade like I suggested unless they were going to host the memorial cup, hence being “all in”. If Oshawa gets it there may be some smaller moves to help out but if SSM hosts I would put money down that Raftis will be all in. And I mean all in, as in the years to follow may be dark for a couple seasons.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Aren’t you guys gonna be cutting it awfully close?
Yes, that's why they call it "All In".

Not too worried about recouping picks after next season either, as we have some big pieces returning the following season that could be moved if we choose.

Reactions: Marj44

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Ideally, you don’t want Calisti or Constantinou vs other teams’ top six; so, adding a top 3 defender would be a good idea to limit Calisti & Constantinou 5 on 5 and keep them more rested for the PP, imo.

Calisti I agree with, but Constantinou has really shored up his game defensively. He routinely contains top 6 forwards in their own end by controlling the blueline.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Reesor and Rees might be a nice alternate combo to add next season too. Would like to watch them more closely than normal today. Is Reesor playing?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Yes, that's why they call it "All In".

Not too worried about recouping picks after next season either, as we have some big pieces returning the following season that could be moved if we choose.

Raftis has not shown an ability or willingness to restock the cupboards during his tenure so I have some concerns about the notion of him going "all in" unless we are a truly elite team next year.

Reactions: staubitz

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Raftis has not shown an ability or willingness to restock the cupboards during his tenure so I have some concerns about the notion of him going "all in" unless we are a truly elite team next year.

I think the hounds will have to buy their way to elite status. To me. SSM appears closer to Sarnia than Flint or Windsor right now.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I like our roster going into next year better than any other team's. Our depth is really impressive, returning 12 players scoring more than half a point per game. That doesn't even include some important depth pieces and role players like Johnston, Boudreau, Holmes.

Add to that the lack of graduating players, and this whole team looks to take another huge step forward.

Oshawa in comparison likely only returns 4-5 players scoring over half a point per game. Reminds me of their "We got Tavares so let us host" bid. "We got Tomasino so let us host". Where is their depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->