SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
A quote in yesterday's Toronto Star regarding the Leafs' defensive woes made me laugh out loud as it reminded me of our beloved Hounds:

"On a lot of nights, they only pay intermittent attention to the defensive details."

Looking forward to playing Niagara tonight. They lost their last game 11-1 so it would appear they have their own defensive woes...

We seem to give intermittent effort too. I don't know how a team outplays Ottawa on the road, probably the toughest feat in the OHL, only to lay an egg like that against a struggling team at home.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Question for anybody
How does the draft work ?
Do the four teams that don’t make the playoffs pick 1-4 according to their points and then it goes by fewest points or does it go 20 -1 according to their points

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Thanks nelli
Heard some people talking about that at the game tonight no one was sure how it played out
As far as the import draft doesn’t the OHL have first pick
If that is the case the greyhounds would have 12th overall in the import draft that is gonna be hard to give up seeing we probably will keep our 2 imports next season could be a tough decision to let that pick go by

Reactions: nelli27

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Thanks nelli
Heard some people talking about that at the game tonight no one was sure how it played out
As far as the import draft doesn’t the OHL have first pick
If that is the case the greyhounds would have 12th overall in the import draft that is gonna be hard to give up seeing we probably will keep our 2 imports next season could be a tough decision to let that pick go by

Scout a very young, talented 16 year old. Draft him, bring him over the following year for his draft year. Or... If you get a kid too good to give up, find a way to move one of ours if needed.

Reactions: soo hound girl

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Scout a very young, talented 16 year old. Draft him, bring him over the following year for his draft year. Or... If you get a kid too good to give up, find a way to move one of ours if needed.

The youngest draft eligible import will be 2003 born. Unless Pytlik or Malik is drafted in first round or NHL signed, I believe the hounds will need to release one to draft another import.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
The youngest draft eligible import will be 2003 born. Unless Pytlik or Malik is drafted in first round or NHL signed, I believe the hounds will need to release one to draft another import.
All of which will be irrelevant if there is a successful bid for the memorial cup. There isn’t anything a 2003 import will provide to next year’s team that will surpass the contributions of either Malík or Pytlik. Hence the all in move for the tournament. It’s rare to have two top end imports like this. I don’t see the necessity of replacing one through the draft.
Also, talking to a few people in the scout/agent community - there is a few diamonds in the rough but for the most part, the exceptional players are typically drafted in the second round of the import draft. For the most part, the players drafted in the first round are players that are a sure bet to come over to NA. The second round picks tend to be the players that model the higher end US players with college commitments. They are higher risk but ultimately higher reward and most teams pass on them for immediate commitments. For example, both Pytlik and Malík were second round picks, yet in the draft where we took Pytlik, Roman Pucek was our first rounder.
There may be a stud player available but 12th overall may not yield the player you think (in comparison to what we have and what we want out of them for a deep run while they are here).

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Wonder if Carroll is ok? Saw him go to the dressing room a little while after his lacrosse style goal.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Keeping an eye out for any Barrett Hayton transaction news. Post #10 in this thread links to a news article that said he could be sent to an AHL team for conditioning for up to 3 AHL games or 6 days. He was sent last Tuesday, so today is the day.

SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

I thought an AHL conditioning stint is just a maximum of 14 days. didn't think there was a minimum or maximum amount of games he could play. I may be wrong.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I thought an AHL conditioning stint is just a maximum of 14 days. didn't think there was a minimum or maximum amount of games he could play. I may be wrong.
The link I provided eventually links back to an article on nhl.com that says
Typically, conditioning assignments last a span of two weeks, but since Hayton is technically still on long-term injured reserve, he is limited to three games and six days of action at the AHL level.

"He gets to go down for this week and we'll reassess after those three games," said Sullivan. "If we think he's ready to come back up we'll bring him back up, if we don't think he's ready, if we think he needs more time, then we'll have to apply for an extension, and we'll have to see what the league says about that."
Hayton Returns to Action, Continues Journey Back with Roadrunners

Yooper

Mar 19, 2018
Anyone think that if the Hounds win the Mem Cup bid that either Beecher, Caufield, or both, could be swayed to come to the Soo??

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
WOW Saginaw just got their overage defenceman, Wilde, back from the ahl where he played all year. BIG boost for their club. Still hope for Hayton???

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
"there's always a chance" ...

there was a chance I'd shoot bumble bees out of my nipples today but alas, i was disappointed once again.

Reactions: Houndzfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce