SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Confirmed, 4th overall pick for the Greyhounds on the April 4th draft at 900AM.
56 points and missing the playoffs, thank god Kingston made it with 42 though...

Really hope the OHL goes 1-16 for playoffs soon like the QMJHL format

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Some previous 4th overall selections
2019 - Brandt Clarke
2018 - Jamie Drysdale
2017 - Nicholas Porco
2016 - Blade Jenkins
2015 - Owen Tippett

If you had to pick a year to finish bottom 4, I guess this was a good year?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Some previous 4th overall selections
2019 - Brandt Clarke
2018 - Jamie Drysdale
2017 - Nicholas Porco
2016 - Blade Jenkins
2015 - Owen Tippett

If you had to pick a year to finish bottom 4, I guess this was a good year?
I would assume it’s been awhile since the Greyhounds drafted so high? It is a benefit of having a “tough” season though, enjoy!

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
What playoffs
Every playoffs beginning next season (since I’m pretty sure this year is done until September at least.

Who will they take at #4? My guess is LaVoie.
Ty Nelson would be great but I feel like he’ll be gone by the 4th pick. I’m just hoping they don’t gamble on an American player.

I would assume it’s been awhile since the Greyhounds drafted so high? It is a benefit of having a “tough” season though, enjoy!
Here are all the greyhounds picks that we’re top ten overall in their OHL draft in the last 10 years;
2016: Barrett Hayton (9th)
2012: Jared McCann (4th)
2011: Darnell Nurse (3rd)

Safe to say that whoever the brass decides to take this year at 4th overall will most likely have a huge impact on this team moving forward. And with a strong team expected next year, it’s definitely welcomed much more than a lower first round pick.

Reactions: Buttsy

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
2016: Barrett Hayton (9th)
2012: Jared McCann (4th)
2011: Darnell Nurse (3rd)

Not a bad history of success based on a previous year of “non success”. Being a Knights fan we are used to similar pattern of not picking high in the 1st round as the Hunters have gone with a different approach then the norm of overhauling every 3-4 years and seeing the large spikes of exceptionally good vs exceptionally poor performance. I really wish the OHL would look at allowing a team to trade their first round picks? It may also help the OHL teams with recruitment as well the teams in the OHL have serious competition to secure the high end talent.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I really wish the OHL would look at allowing a team to trade their first round picks? It may also help the OHL teams with recruitment as well the teams in the OHL have serious competition to secure the high end talent.

Allowing the trading of 1st picks might be a good recruitment tool for the OHL, but make it more difficult for some teams and certainly the bottom teams in full rebuild to attract the top prospects. I think the defect/compensation tool is a great equalizer for teams bold enough to take advantage. I think more teams should select the best prospect wanting to play in the OHL instead of best willing to report to that team for a gold education package.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Allowing the trading of 1st picks might be a good recruitment tool for the OHL, but make it more difficult for some teams and certainly the bottom teams in full rebuild to attract the top prospects. I think the defect/compensation tool is a great equalizer for teams bold enough to take advantage. I think more teams should select the best prospect wanting to play in the OHL instead of best willing to report to that team for a gold education package.
When used strategically there is considerable compensation possibilities available for a team that is willing to “draw the line” so to speak. Also it can work out for the team, the player, and the team who the prospect ends up with. Victor Mete is a recent Knight graduate that I think for the most part it worked out well for everyone concerned. Ultimately the OHL got the high end talent into the league they so desperately want get on board.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
When used strategically there is considerable compensation possibilities available for a team that is willing to “draw the line” so to speak. Also it can work out for the team, the player, and the team who the prospect ends up with. Victor Mete is a recent Knight graduate that I think for the most part it worked out well for everyone concerned. Ultimately the OHL got the high end talent into the league they so desperately want get on board.

yeah, I think it worked out quite well for LDN-OS/LDN-KGN, Niagara, Petes. Barrie & Miss not so much because of risky comp selections. Flint imo, did very well with comp 1st Dellandrea and comp 2nd Wismer; unfortunately, they were forced to forfeit their own 1st that same year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So what does Raftis have on his plate over the offseason?
- priority selection draft
- head coach decision - is Dean the one to lead us to the promised land?
- off season trades - perhaps bring in an OA (a defenseman is on my wishlist).
- Ethan Taylor, is he our backup? If not are we bringing up another prospect, or trading for a backup?

What else?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This draft is really going to be interesting, with the number of US players ranked high and the lack of assurance that they might report.

Looking at our current roster, we are definitely looking to contend next season. Beyond next season, we have a very good core of 2002 born players (Kerins, Dickinson, O'Rourke, Malik) which might allow us to compete the following (2021-2022) year as well. Usually a contender would pick the BPA best player available and look to flip them at the deadline, but it's unusual for a contender to pick so high.

So what would I do if I were Raftis and had the fourth overall pick this year? Perhaps I would still look to flip a fourth overall pick at next year's deadline if I could get a real game breaker. Top 5 NHL pick kind of material. Fortunately, it looks like there might be players of this calibre playing in our league next season. Byfield, Perfetti, Rossi, Drysdale may all go top 5, but at least a few are likely to be returned by the trade deadline. If my plan was to try to land one of them, then the most important thing would be to get a player that is going to report.

But maybe a fourth overall pick is too good to just flip for a player you likely only get a half season from. We haven't picked this high for 8 years (2012 - 4th overall, Jared McCann). Maybe this is an opportunity to try to draft a franchise player. A player that slots right in from day one, and makes a significant contribution during our 2 year window and beyond. In that case, perhaps I draft the best player available even if I am unsure they will report.

Not sure what Raftis will do, but you can bet it will be exciting.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
rank your top 4.
You make your pick based on your draft board. TOP 4 Should be easily rated by your scouting staff.
Draft Best player available.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Well, with playoffs cancelled, we didn't officially miss the post-season. Our playoff streak continues : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->